* betas
@ 2009-03-13 17:34 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-03-13 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,

as fas as i can testm the current beta installs ok on vista, xp, osx and
linux (which is not to say that nothing is broken in the macros themselves)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: betas
@ 2009-03-13 17:54 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-03-13 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 6:34 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> hi,
>
> as fas as i can testm the current beta installs ok on vista, xp, osx and
> linux (which is not to say that nothing is broken in the macros themselves)
ok here too

This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.35.0
ConTeXt  ver: 2009.03.13 17:35 MKIV  fmt: 2009.3.13  int: english/english

--
luigi

* Re: betas
@ 2009-03-13 18:05   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-03-13 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 13, 2009, at 6:54 PM, luigi scarso wrote:

> ok here too
>
> This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.35.0
> ConTeXt  ver: 2009.03.13 17:35 MKIV  fmt: 2009.3.13  int: english/
> english

OK here too, on OS X! (I'll check linux later)

Thomas

* Re: betas
@ 2009-03-14  0:07     ` Yanrui Li
From: Yanrui Li @ 2009-03-14  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

2009/3/14 Thomas A. Schmitz <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de>:

> On Mar 13, 2009, at 6:54 PM, luigi scarso wrote:
>
>> ok here too
>>
>> This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.35.0
>> ConTeXt  ver: 2009.03.13 17:35 MKIV  fmt: 2009.3.13  int: english/english
>>

> OK here too, on OS X! (I'll check linux later)

:) Linux (x86) ok!

Best wishes,
Li Yanrui

* Gentoo Linux (~x86)
* ConTeXt Minimals Beta (2009.03.06 18:45)

* betas
@ 2015-10-07  8:52 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-10-07  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today Taco and I are testing some installation goodies so best not try
to update today.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* betas
@ 2014-01-09 18:29 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-01-09 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

As some of you might have noticed, we're in transition to luatex 0.80
(currently 0.78.1). This binary is somewhat faster with respect to nodes
without modification of Lua code, but it also provides an additional
node field access mechanism. Luigi and I spent quite some time on
getting that done and in the process some 70 context files were adapted
(as we needed to test). However, it's likely that I have missed some
needed changes. As both access mechanisms cannot be mixed, one has to be
consistent in usage. Also, the somewhat faster (new) usage is more
sensitive for errors so it has to be used with robust (proven) code
(read: pluggable code can best use the traditional node field accessors
which also have been sped up). And of course it only makes sense for
very demanding cases (as stock luatex is already rather efficient now),
think of devanagari (where we can get 50% faster) and complex arabic
(some 25%). As ConTeXt spends > 50% of its time in Lua it might make a
difference in other places too.

Anyway, for instance the 175 fonts-mkiv manual processes 10% faster due
to this and sometimes more can be achieved (it really depends on how
much Lua enhanced mechanisms are used). Roughly I get on my win 8.1 64
bit laptop for the font manual:

10    sec luatex    0.77 with previous context code base
10.25 sec luatex    0.77 with current context code base
  9.00 sec luatex    0.78 with current context code base
  7.50 sec luajittex 0.78 with current context code base

(This manual loads quite some fonts in the process.)

In case you wonder why speed is an issue: it really matters when tex is
used as a service, and I like fast edit-test cycles too. The target is
to get 20 pps or more even for complex documents. It's not that hard to
get 550 pps for simple 1000 page one-word-per page documents but when
much more kicks in we quickly drop to 15-20 pps.

Also, Luigi and I also want to reach reasonable speeds on android phones
(triggered by Harald's experiments at the context meeting) but that's
another topic.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE