* Re: Problem installing minimals on PowerMac G4
@ 2011-06-03 17:16 Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2011-06-03 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On  Thu, 2 Jun 2011 17:53:34 +0200  Mojca Miklavec wrote

> Where did you install the minimals?

First of all: thank you for your quick reply.

As usual I installed it in a subdirectory of my Home directory. I
would assume that there would not be any problems of permissions.
However I did chmod -R 755 in this (sub)directory but to no avail.

> Can you try
>   chown -R yourusername /path/to/installation
Yes, I did, but again the process stopped.

>> (I even do not know how to abort the process other than quitting Terminal.)

> Ctrl-C (a couple of times), Ctrl-D, Ctrl-\, ... or killall (but I'm
> not experience enough in giving you further details).

Ctrl-C did nothing but Ctrl-D set the installation process in motion again.
The result is that I can use mkii but not mkiv.

I clearly need to experiment a bit more.
 Thanks again for your advice which really helped me.

Robert Blackstone

* Re: Problem installing minimals on PowerMac G4
@ 2011-06-03 18:27 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-06-03 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please send a complete log.

Mojca

* Re: Problem installing minimals on PowerMac G4
@ 2011-06-11 11:58   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-06-11 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 13:19, Robert Blackstone wrote:

> The only issue still remaining is the interruption during the
> installation process. I have no clue as to what could be the cause.

Please try to send more information.

Mojca

* Re: Problem installing minimals on PowerMac G4
@ 2011-06-10 11:19 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2011-06-10 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at  10:05:15,  Mojca Miklavec wrote
>  Please try to open Terminal.app and write:
>
> source /Users/robert/context-minimals-04-06/tex/setuptex
> context /Users/robertblackstone/Dropbox/C-tests/Titles-interline_spacing_of/Titles-interline_spacing_of-test1PM.tex
>
> and see if that one fails as well.

When I write:
source /Users/robertblackstone/context-minimals-04-06-11/tex/setuptex,
 (this is the correct name)
in all but one caseTerminal responds with:

"/Users/robertblackstone/context-minimals-04-06-11" is not a valid TEXROOT path.
(There is no file
"/Users/robertblackstone/context-minimals-04-06-11/texmf/tex/plain/base/plain.tex")
provide a proper tex root (like '. setuptex /something/tex')"

Only if I change the working directory to
/Users/robertblackstone/context-minimals-04-06-11/tex/ the response
is: "Setting "/Users/robertblackstone/context-minimals-04-06-11/tex"
as ConTeXt root." and I can process tex-files both with mkii and mkiv
. The resulting pdf, however, placed in the same working directory, is
not correct.

I found, helped by ConTeXt garden, that I could activate
ConTeXt-minimals-04-06-11 on this machine by typing:
"export PATH=/Users/robertblackstone/ConTeXt-minimals-04-06-11/tex/texmf-osx-ppc/bin:$PATH"
from any directory and get the correct output.
I accordingly changed the TeXShop engine and that also works now.

The only issue still remaining is the interruption during the
installation process. I have no clue as to what could be the cause. I
tried to avoid it by running "umask 0022" and even "umask 0002" before
creating the new minimals directory, but that did not help.
But using ctrl-D a few times, as Mojca suggested, when the
installation process stops midway, eventually results in a usable
minimals. Maybe some functions do not work but I have not yet
discovered any.
So that might not be a real problem after all.
Thanks for the help.

Kind regards,
Robert Blackstone

* Re: Problem installing minimals on PowerMac G4
@ 2011-06-06 10:19   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2011-06-06 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/06/2011 10:05 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 09:59, Robert Blackstone wrote:
>> On  Sun, 5 Jun 2011 03:23:54 Mojca Miklavec wrote
>>>
>>> How exactly do you run MKIV?
>>>
>> I always use TeXShop with an engine-file (in
>> ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines), made executable, in this case
>> mkiv-04-06.engine, which reads:
>> #!/bin/bash
>>
>> source /Users/robert/context-minimals-04-06/tex/setuptex
>> context "$1"
>> It works on my other machines.
>> Incidentally, I found that mkiv does not work on this machine with the
>> october minimals either, so maybe it never worked on this PowerMac
>> (Tiger). I failed to notice it because I always used mkii and I only
>> started using mkiv recently. I cannot check it either, since I trashed
>> earlier minimals.
>
> Judging from your log:
>
> "The argument "/Users/robertblackstone/Dropbox/C-tests/Titles-interline_spacing_of/Titles-interline_spacing_of-test1PM.tex"
> is not a valid TEXROOT path.
>
> I would say that there is a problem with your TeXshop. This means that
> you must have called
>
> "source /Users/robert/context-minimals-04-06/tex/setuptex
> /Users/robertblackstone/Dropbox/C-tests/Titles-interline_spacing_of/Titles-interline_spacing_of-test1PM.tex"

It could perhaps be a line ending problem (\r <=> \n), where bash
actually sees something like this?:

   source /Users/robert/context-minimals-04-06/tex/setuptex\rcontext "$1"

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Problem installing minimals on PowerMac G4
@ 2011-06-06  8:05 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-06-06  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 09:59, Robert Blackstone wrote:
> On  Sun, 5 Jun 2011 03:23:54 Mojca Miklavec wrote
>>
>> How exactly do you run MKIV?
>>
> I always use TeXShop with an engine-file (in
> ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines), made executable, in this case
> mkiv-04-06.engine, which reads:
> #!/bin/bash
>
> source /Users/robert/context-minimals-04-06/tex/setuptex
> context "$1"
> It works on my other machines.
> Incidentally, I found that mkiv does not work on this machine with the
> october minimals either, so maybe it never worked on this PowerMac
> (Tiger). I failed to notice it because I always used mkii and I only
> started using mkiv recently. I cannot check it either, since I trashed
> earlier minimals.

Judging from your log:

"The argument "/Users/robertblackstone/Dropbox/C-tests/Titles-interline_spacing_of/Titles-interline_spacing_of-test1PM.tex"
is not a valid TEXROOT path.

I would say that there is a problem with your TeXshop. This means that
you must have called

"source /Users/robert/context-minimals-04-06/tex/setuptex
/Users/robertblackstone/Dropbox/C-tests/Titles-interline_spacing_of/Titles-interline_spacing_of-test1PM.tex"

somehow. Please try to open Terminal.app and write:

@ 2011-06-06  7:59 Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2011-06-06  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2011-06-05  1:23 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-06-05  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 16:40, Robert Blackstone wrote:

> When I try to process a file with mkiv, the log says:
> "The argument "/Users/robertblackstone/Dropbox/C-tests/Titles-interline_spacing_of/Titles-interline_spacing_of-test1PM.tex"
> is not a valid TEXROOT path.

How exactly do you run MKIV?

Mojca

* Re: Problem installing minimals on PowerMac G4
@ 2011-06-04 14:40 Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2011-06-04 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011  20:27:56 +0200 Mojca Miklavec wrote

> Please send a complete log.

The saved Terminal output of an installation of the minimals which I
tried this morning can be downloaded here:
http://web.me.com/blackstone.robert/filechute/RB-Install_minimals_04-06-11-Saved_Terminal_Output.txt

The process stopped 3 times (see lines 6612, 7698 and 7718.) but
eventually finished.
The result is that ConTeXt mkii works, but mkiv does not.

When I try to process a file with mkiv, the log says:
"The argument "/Users/robertblackstone/Dropbox/C-tests/Titles-interline_spacing_of/Titles-interline_spacing_of-test1PM.tex"
is not a valid TEXROOT path.
(There is no file
"/Users/robertblackstone/Dropbox/C-tests/Titles-interline_spacing_of/Titles-interline_spacing_of-test1PM.tex/texmf/tex/plain/base/plain.tex")
provide a proper tex root (like '. setuptex /something/tex')

MtxRun | error unable to identify cnf file
MtxRun | error unable to identify cnf file
MtxRun | no cnf files found (TEXMFCNF may not be set/known)
MtxRun | unknown script: context"

Incidentally, when I run the same tex-file with mkiv on my G4
PowerBook, also installed today, the first two sentences of the log
are the same. However, it does not ask me to provide a proper tex root
and the file is processed normally.

I would be grateful for any help but please don't spend too much time
on it. I can live with the installation as it is now. Fortunately I
have this other Mac on which the minimals work without problems.

Kind regards,

Robert Blackstone

* Re: Problem installing minimals on PowerMac G4
@ 2011-06-02 15:53 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-06-02 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

?

@ 2011-06-02 15:37 Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2011-06-02 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

[...]

Incidentally, the PowerMac has not been used between october and now.
Thanks in advance.

Robert Blackstone