From: Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>
To: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
	Adam McCollum <acmccollum101@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Some Ethiopic examples (hyphenation/breaking) in ConTeXt
Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 16:19:17 +0200	[thread overview]

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 13:20, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 6-5-2011 10:00, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
> What is the otf language / script code?

Ethi for script and AMH for language (but language should probably not
be needed).

>> - In output one should get something like space (approximately the
>> same width) before and something like space after word/sentence
>> divider, except that the "space" before divider should not be
>> breakable; I highly suspect that the amount of space before/after
>> dividers depends on the font being used, but I may be wrong.
>
> so let's visualize that:
>
> [1200][1200][1200][1361][1200][1200][1200][1362][1200][1200][1200]
>
> valid breakpoints:
>
> [1200]
> [1200]
> [1200][nbsp][1200]
> [1200]
> [1200][nbsp][1200]
> [1200]
> [1200]
>
> Is that okay?

No, it should be:

[1200]
[1200]
[1200][nbsp][1361]
[1200]
[1200]
[1200][nbsp][1362]
[1200]
[1200]
[1200]

Word delimiters should be displayed.

> How about spaces in the input (end of lines introduce them)?

Adam?

My guess would be that they might not use end-of-lines except when
they want to start a new paragraph, but I may as well be wrong. If
there are end-of-lines, they should probably be ignored - no extra
space should be introduced (unless there are two, so that a new
paragraph is started).

But Adam should correct me.

In fact there are two different writing paradigms. One uses word
separator and another one uses spaces. My guess that the second one
might have arised in the modern era due to poor computer suppor. (If
they are using spaces, they have at least a chance that words break in
text editors and web browsers, but I may be wrong. Wikipedia uses
spaces for example, but all old books use separators.)

Anyway: in case that one uses the second paradigm (use spaces instead
of word separators), the end of line should be treated as a normal
space and writing should be no different than for any other European
language in Latin script.

> Nothing attached.

There was an attachment originally (see
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context/68230), but maybe your
spam filter didn't like the Ethiopic spam.

(My roommate was just robbed/scammed in Ethiopia last week; no wonder
that even spam filters put the mails in the same category as Nigerian
scams :)

Mojca