* Moving module installation from first-setup.sh to ctxtools
@ 2011-05-31 16:26 Bruce
From: Bruce @ 2011-05-31 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Per subject line, I'd just like to suggest moving the (quite helpful)
module installation functionality from first-update.sh to one of the
core context scripts (like ctxtools), so that it's usable outside
the minimal distribution (in TL). E.g. something like:

ctxtools --install="t-simpleslides"

Bruce

* Re: Moving module installation from first-setup.sh to ctxtools
@ 2011-05-31 16:37 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-05-31 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 18:26, Bruce wrote:
> Per subject line, I'd just like to suggest moving the (quite helpful)
> module installation functionality from first-update.sh to one of the
> core context scripts (like ctxtools), so that it's usable outside
> the minimal distribution (in TL). E.g. something like:
>
> ctxtools --install="t-simpleslides"

How would you determine the destination (where to put the module)?

Everything you need to do is the following command:
    rsync -av \
    http://minimals.contextgarden.net/current/modules/t-simpleslides/ \
    where-you-want-to-put-it

ConTeXt tools could do it, but the main question is: where? Another
problem is this doesn't provide any "uninstallation", but user has to
be aware of that.

TeX Live & MikTeX provide the module. Out of curiosity: where else
would you find the command handy to use?

Mojca

* Re:  Moving module installation from first-setup.sh to ctxtools
@ 2011-05-31 16:44   ` Bruce
From: Bruce @ 2011-05-31 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 18:26, Bruce wrote:
> > Per subject line, I'd just like to suggest moving the (quite helpful)
> > module installation functionality from first-update.sh to one of the
> > core context scripts (like ctxtools), so that it's usable outside
> > the minimal distribution (in TL). E.g. something like:
> >
> > ctxtools --install="t-simpleslides"
>
> How would you determine the destination (where to put the module)?

Same way the first-setup.sh script does. Why should I have to think about
where to put a module?

> Everything you need to do is the following command:
>     rsync -av \
>     http://minimals.contextgarden.net/current/modules/t-simpleslides/ \
>     where-you-want-to-put-it
>
> ConTeXt tools could do it, but the main question is: where? Another
> problem is this doesn't provide any "uninstallation", but user has to
> be aware of that.

That's not a big deal to me. But it could always include an uninstall option.

> TeX Live & MikTeX provide the module. Out of curiosity: where else
> would you find the command handy to use?

Not following you here.

@ 2011-05-31 16:52     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-05-31 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 18:44, Bruce wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec writes:
>

>> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 18:26, Bruce wrote:
>> > Per subject line, I'd just like to suggest moving the (quite helpful)
>> > module installation functionality from first-update.sh to one of the
>> > core context scripts (like ctxtools), so that it's usable outside
>> > the minimal distribution (in TL). E.g. something like:
>> >
>> > ctxtools --install="t-simpleslides"
>>
>> How would you determine the destination (where to put the module)?
>
> Same way the first-setup.sh script does. Why should I have to think about
> where to put a module?

first-setup.sh always places the files under
    $LOC/tex/texmf-context/
where $LOC is location of first-setup.sh. The "tex" part is
configurable, but it is governed by some settings that you have to
provide to first-setup.sh explicitely.

If you are using TeX Live and want to install the module, you need to
decide whether you will install it under $HOME/texmf,
$HOME/Library/texlive/texmf, /usr/locat/texlive/texmf-local, etc.

>> ConTeXt tools could do it, but the main question is: where? Another
>> problem is this doesn't provide any "uninstallation", but user has to
>> be aware of that.
>
> That's not a big deal to me. But it could always include an uninstall option.

For uninstaller the installer should remember the files and store that
somewhere. This is currently not done at all.

>> TeX Live & MikTeX provide the module. Out of curiosity: where else
>> would you find the command handy to use?
>
> Not following you here.

How exactly would you want to use such command? With what TeX distribution?

Mojca

* Re:  Moving module installation from first-setup.sh to ctxtools
@ 2011-05-31 21:17       ` Bruce
From: Bruce @ 2011-05-31 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists <at> gmail.com> writes:

[snip]

> >> TeX Live & MikTeX provide the module. Out of curiosity: where else
> >> would you find the command handy to use?
> >
> > Not following you here.
>
> How exactly would you want to use such command? With what TeX distribution?

TeXLive.

I just installed it earlier today, did a quick "ctxtools --update" and
everything worked fine (as easily as updating the minimals), with the
one exception being having to go figure out how to manually install the
modules.

@ 2011-05-31 21:26         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-05-31 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 23:17, Bruce wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec writes:
>
>> How exactly would you want to use such command? With what TeX distribution?
>
> TeXLive.
>
> I just installed it earlier today, did a quick "ctxtools --update" and
> everything worked fine (as easily as updating the minimals), with the
> one exception being having to go figure out how to manually install the
> modules.

tlmgr install context-simpleslides

(or tlmgr install collection-context)

Mojca

* Re: Moving module installation from first-setup.sh to ctxtools
@ 2011-05-31 21:30         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-05-31 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 23:17, Bruce wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec writes:
>
> [snip]

>> > Not following you here.
>>
>> How exactly would you want to use such command? With what TeX distribution?
>
> TeXLive.
>
> I just installed it earlier today

One more thing: are you talking about TL 2010 or TL 2011?

In case that you are talking about TL 2011, you can fetch files from
http://ctan.ijs.si/mirror/tlpretest/ or wait for other servers to
recover from yesterday's problem.

It is also not too advisable to use ctxtools to update ConTeXt in TeX
Live (or at least you must know what you are doing and be prepared for
potential problems).

Mojca

* Re:  Moving module installation from first-setup.sh to ctxtools
@ 2011-05-31 23:15           ` Bruce
From: Bruce @ 2011-05-31 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists <at> gmail.com> writes:

[snip]

> One more thing: are you talking about TL 2010 or TL 2011?

I had installed 2010, but am now upgrading.

> In case that you are talking about TL 2011, you can fetch files from
> http://ctan.ijs.si/mirror/tlpretest/ or wait for other servers to
> recover from yesterday's problem.
>
> It is also not too advisable to use ctxtools to update ConTeXt in TeX
> Live (or at least you must know what you are doing and be prepared for
> potential problems).

So is the code in the texlive repositories updated frequently enough that this
isn't a problem WRT to ConTeXt: that I can just let tlmgr handle it?

Thanks for the help,

@ 2011-06-01  6:53             ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-06-01  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 01:15, Bruce <bdarcus.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> [snip]
>
>> One more thing: are you talking about TL 2010 or TL 2011?
>
> I had installed 2010, but am now upgrading.
>
>> In case that you are talking about TL 2011, you can fetch files from
>> http://ctan.ijs.si/mirror/tlpretest/ or wait for other servers to
>> recover from yesterday's problem.
>>
>> It is also not too advisable to use ctxtools to update ConTeXt in TeX
>> Live (or at least you must know what you are doing and be prepared for
>> potential problems).
>
> So is the code in the texlive repositories updated frequently enough that this
> isn't a problem WRT to ConTeXt: that I can just let tlmgr handle it?

The modules in TeX Live are updates in sync with all the rest.

The only difference is that the main CTAN server only syncs once per
day (which might add +1 day), that TeX Live repositories are being
rebuilt only once per day (another +1 day in worst case) and worst
case +1 day that your mirror syncs with CTAN.

The reason why ConTeXt is not updated is that ConTeXt requires the
latest version of LuaTeX which is often a problem. If modules break
compatibility with slightly older ConTeXt version, it is author's
responsibility, but modules develop much more slowly than ConTeXt, so
this is rarely a problem. There is one single module written for MKVI
that is in minimals, but didn't go to CTAN exactly for the reason that
ConTeXt MKVI develops way too fast and module could not keep
up/version of ConTeXt in TL would be way out of date anyway.

Mojca