* inside and outside margins (vs. 'left' and 'right' margins)
@ 2011-04-09 20:26 James Fisher
From: James Fisher @ 2011-04-09 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt

I want to define 'inside' and 'outside' margins (i.e. left and right pages
are symmetrical, not the same).  Reading the document 'co-pagedesign.pdf',
ConTeXt talks about 'left' and 'right' margins (and other measurements).  At
first I thought this must be either a 'representative' left or right page
(the diagram on page 3 doesn't say which), but experimenting suggests that
there really is no concept of left and right pages here (despite the
incredible detail that the document goes into on arranging pages etc which
must understand this).

In short this is a basic requirement.  How do I solve it?

James

* Re: inside and outside margins (vs. 'left' and 'right' margins)
@ 2011-04-09 20:34 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2011-04-09 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi James,

You can use
	\inoutermargin{some marginal note}
and
	\ininnermargin{some marginal note}
Then when you use
	\setuplayout[location=doublesided]
at the beginning of your file, the above two commands should give you what you seem to be wanting.

Best regards: OK

@ 2011-04-09 20:58   ` James Fisher
From: James Fisher @ 2011-04-09 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Otared,

Thanks.  Two problems here:

- the \inoutermargin and \ininnermargin commands add text to the margins.  I
can set it to no text, but I don't see why they would be necessary to define
inner and outer margin size.
- the location=doublesided looks like what I was looking for, but it doesn't
affect anything! (Nor does duplex.) Every page still has the same margins
irrespective of whether they're even or odd.

James

@ 2011-04-09 21:07 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2011-04-09 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2011-04-09 um 22:26 schrieb James Fisher:

> I want to define 'inside' and 'outside' margins (i.e. left and right
> pages are symmetrical, not the same).  Reading the document 'co-
> pagedesign.pdf', ConTeXt talks about 'left' and 'right' margins (and
> other measurements).  At first I thought this must be either a
> 'representative' left or right page (the diagram on page 3 doesn't
> say which), but experimenting suggests that there really is no
> concept of left and right pages here (despite the incredible detail
> that the document goes into on arranging pages etc which must
> understand this).
>
> In short this is a basic requirement.  How do I solve it?

As stated on http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Layout :
"You define always a right page; if you use a double page layout
'right' and 'left' values are mirrored on a left page."

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: inside and outside margins (vs. 'left' and 'right' margins)
@ 2011-04-09 21:11   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-04-09 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 9 Apr 2011, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am 2011-04-09 um 22:26 schrieb James Fisher:
>
>> I want to define 'inside' and 'outside' margins (i.e. left and right pages
>> are symmetrical, not the same).  Reading the document 'co-pagedesign.pdf',
>> ConTeXt talks about 'left' and 'right' margins (and other measurements).
>> At first I thought this must be either a 'representative' left or right
>> page (the diagram on page 3 doesn't say which), but experimenting suggests
>> that there really is no concept of left and right pages here (despite the
>> incredible detail that the document goes into on arranging pages etc which
>> must understand this).
>>
>> In short this is a basic requirement.  How do I solve it?
>
> As stated on http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Layout :
> "You define always a right page; if you use a double page layout 'right' and
> 'left' values are mirrored on a left page."

A concerete example:

\setuplayout
     [backspace=5cm,
      cutspace=2cm,
      leftmargin=4cm,
      rightmargin=1cm,
      width=middle]

\showframe

\starttext
\dorecurse{8}{Page \recurselevel \page}
\stoptext

Aditya

* Re: inside and outside margins (vs. 'left' and 'right' margins)
@ 2011-04-09 21:26     ` James Fisher
From: James Fisher @ 2011-04-09 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)