* tikz / pgf 2.10: errors
@ 2011-04-26 11:45 Christoph Redecker
From: Christoph Redecker @ 2011-04-26 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

When compiling this code

\usemodule[pgf]
\starttext
   test
\stoptext

I get an error:

 >------snip------>
(/apps/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pgf/systemlayer/pgfsys-pdftex.def
(/apps/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pgf/systemlayer/pgfsys-common-pdf.def)
! Undefined control sequence.
\pgfutil@addpdfresource@colorspaces ...olorspaces
                                                   {#1}
l.396 ...rspaces{ /pgfprgb [/Pattern /DeviceRGB] }

The latex pendant (even with a tikz picture in it) compiles fine.

I have another computer with an older version of pgf, which works well
(with context and with latex). After an update to 2.10, context stopped
working, latex still does.

Is anyone else encountering this problem?

Regards,

Christoph

* Re: tikz / pgf 2.10: errors
@ 2011-04-26 12:22 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-04-26 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26-4-2011 1:45, Christoph Redecker wrote:
> When compiling this code
>
> \usemodule[pgf]
> \starttext
> test
> \stoptext
>
> I get an error:
>
>  >------snip------>
> (/apps/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pgf/systemlayer/pgfsys-pdftex.def

best try the minimals as that's the reference

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: tikz / pgf 2.10: errors
@ 2011-04-26 13:49   ` Christoph Redecker
From: Christoph Redecker @ 2011-04-26 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried to install and run the minimals on a win xp machine (a few days
ago), but failed. I'll try it again and report the results.

Christoph

Am 26.04.2011 14:22, schrieb Hans Hagen:
> On 26-4-2011 1:45, Christoph Redecker wrote:
>> When compiling this code
>>
>> \usemodule[pgf]
>> \starttext
>> test
>> \stoptext
>>
>> I get an error:
>>
>> >------snip------>
>> (/apps/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pgf/systemlayer/pgfsys-pdftex.def
>>

> best try the minimals as that's the reference
>
> Hans

> Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
> Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
> tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
> | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: tikz / pgf 2.10: errors
@ 2011-04-26 19:32   ` Christoph Redecker
From: Christoph Redecker @ 2011-04-26 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I downloaded the minimals installer
installed to the default location c:\contextminimal
+ get latest setup files,
+ get latest distribution files (stable)
+ make format files
- don't set environment variables (have MikTeX 2.9 on this machine as well)

Errors during installation:
Update failed
Error Code: 1

Make failed
Error Code: 1

Now the installation directory does not contain any binary named
context, there's also no setuptex.bat. I need that perform the next step
according to the installation and usage instructions in the wiki.

I then deleted the folder c:\contextminimal from my disk.

Next try: No gui installer.
unzipped the files to c:\Programme\context (no spaces in there)
ran first-setup.bat from command line

after a while I got an error:
mktexlsr.exe - Unable To Locate Component - This application has failed
to start because kpathsea600.dll was not found. Re-Installing the
application may fix this problem.

(same error, again)
(same error, again)
(same error, again)
(same error, again)
(same error, again)
(same error, again)
(same error, again)

In command window: "Please type another input file name: "
pressed CTRL-C and terminated batch job.

What's wrong?

Regards

Christoph

On 26.04.2011 14:22, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 26-4-2011 1:45, Christoph Redecker wrote:
>> When compiling this code
>>
>> \usemodule[pgf]
>> \starttext
>> test
>> \stoptext
>>
>> I get an error:
>>
>> >------snip------>
>> (/apps/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pgf/systemlayer/pgfsys-pdftex.def
>>

> best try the minimals as that's the reference
>
> Hans

> Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
> Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
> tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
> | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: tikz / pgf 2.10: errors
@ 2011-04-26 19:43     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-04-26 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011, Christoph Redecker wrote:

> I downloaded the minimals installer
> installed to the default location c:\contextminimal
> + get latest setup files,
> + get latest distribution files (stable)

Can you try with the latest beta rather than stable, that is just run

first-setup.bat

> + make format files
> - don't set environment variables (have MikTeX 2.9 on this machine as well)
>
> Errors during installation:
> Update failed
> Error Code: 1
>
> Make failed
> Error Code: 1

> Now the installation directory does not contain any binary named context,
> there's also no setuptex.bat. I need that perform the next step according to
> the installation and usage instructions in the wiki.

That is really strange. The setup script should not delete the
installation directory.

Can you provide details of what commands you ran and the detailed output.

Which version of Windows are you using?

Aditya

* Re: tikz / pgf 2.10: errors
@ 2011-04-27  7:36       ` Christoph Redecker
From: Christoph Redecker @ 2011-04-27  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello Aditya

Am 26.04.2011 21:43, schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
> On Tue, 26 Apr 2011, Christoph Redecker wrote:
>
>> I downloaded the minimals installer
>> installed to the default location c:\contextminimal
>> + get latest setup files,
>> + get latest distribution files (stable)
>
> Can you try with the latest beta rather than stable, that is just run

I'll try the latest beta later today. However, your advice to "just run
first-setup.bat" must refer to the zipped version of the minimals, not
the gui installer.

> first-setup.bat
>
>> + make format files
>> - don't set environment variables (have MikTeX 2.9 on this machine as
>> well)
>>
>> Errors during installation:
>> Update failed
>> Error Code: 1
>>
>> Make failed
>> Error Code: 1
>
>> Now the installation directory does not contain any binary named
>> context, there's also no setuptex.bat. I need that perform the next
>> step according to the installation and usage instructions in the wiki.
>
> That is really strange. The setup script should not delete the
> installation directory.
>
> Can you provide details of what commands you ran and the detailed output.

For the gui installer, I provided what I could. I clicked "Next" and
"Finish" where I could, but the options I used are included in my last
post. Is it possible that you mixed up the command line installation and
the gui variant?

> Which version of Windows are you using?

I am using windows xp.

Regards

Christoph

> Aditya

* Re: tikz / pgf 2.10: errors
@ 2011-04-27  8:24         ` Aditya Mahajan
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-04-27  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011, Christoph Redecker wrote:

> For the gui installer, I provided what I could. I clicked "Next" and "Finish"
> where I could, but the options I used are included in my last post. Is it
> possible that you mixed up the command line installation and the gui variant?

Yes I did mix the two up. I re-read your last post again. I don't know why
you get the missing kpathsea600.dll error message. The bin directory
actually contains kpathsea601.dll.

Aditya

* Re: tikz / pgf 2.10: errors
@ 2011-04-27  8:32           ` Christoph Redecker
From: Christoph Redecker @ 2011-04-27  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

In that case, the solution should boil down to making the binary use
kpathsea601.dll, shouldn't it? I can also try renaming the existing dll
to kpathsea600.dll or making a copy of it with the expected name.

Regards

Christoph

Am 27.04.2011 10:24, schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2011, Christoph Redecker wrote:
>
>> For the gui installer, I provided what I could. I clicked "Next" and
>> "Finish" where I could, but the options I used are included in my last
>> post. Is it possible that you mixed up the command line installation
>> and the gui variant?
>
> Yes I did mix the two up. I re-read your last post again. I don't know
> why you get the missing kpathsea600.dll error message. The bin directory
> actually contains kpathsea601.dll.
>
> Aditya

* Re: tikz / pgf 2.10: errors
@ 2011-04-27 17:44           ` Christoph Redecker
From: Christoph Redecker @ 2011-04-27 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I'm currently installing the minimals (again) using the command line. I
unzipped the contents of the zip file to a directory (without spaces)
and started first-setup.bat (no argument, so I'm getting the current beta?).

It is now going through a list of font files (that's what I see in the
window) and in the meantime I made a copy of kpathsea601.dll in the bin
directory and renamed it to kpathsea600.dll. I'm still waiting for
something to happen...

It finished without errors! Running setuptex.bat throws no message at
all, I suppose this means that it finished successfully.

What's next? I don't want to break anything by just trying to "use"
context, I'm afraid of skipping something important now.

Regards

Christoph

On 27.04.2011 10:24, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2011, Christoph Redecker wrote:
>
>> For the gui installer, I provided what I could. I clicked "Next" and
>> "Finish" where I could, but the options I used are included in my last
>> post. Is it possible that you mixed up the command line installation
>> and the gui variant?
>
> Yes I did mix the two up. I re-read your last post again. I don't know
> why you get the missing kpathsea600.dll error message. The bin directory
> actually contains kpathsea601.dll.
>
> Aditya

* Re: tikz / pgf 2.10: errors
@ 2011-04-27 17:53             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-04-27 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What's next? I don't want to break anything by just trying to "use"
> context, I'm afraid of skipping something important now.

depends on how you run tex ... you can try to add the
.../tex/texmf-mswin/bin path to your global PATH variable

alternatively you can open a cmd prompt and run setuptex (in ../tex) to
initialize the path

If you want to run from an editor (take scite as example, description on
wiki) you need to make sure that mtxrun.exe can be found

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: tikz / pgf 2.10: errors
@ 2011-04-27 18:12               ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-04-27 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011, Hans Hagen wrote:

>> What's next? I don't want to break anything by just trying to "use"
>> context, I'm afraid of skipping something important now.
>
> depends on how you run tex ... you can try to add the .../tex/texmf-mswin/bin
> path to your global PATH variable

If you have another tex installation (Miktex, Texlive), don't do this.

> alternatively you can open a cmd prompt and run setuptex (in ../tex) to
> initialize the path

First test if this method works. More precisely, run

Path-to-context\tex\setuptex

and then compile a test document using

context test

> If you want to run from an editor (take scite as example, description on
> wiki) you need to make sure that mtxrun.exe can be found

I would suggest that you first try the command line method. It is much
easier to debug if something goes wrong.

Aditya

* Re: tikz / pgf 2.10: errors
@ 2011-04-27 18:38                 ` Christoph Redecker
From: Christoph Redecker @ 2011-04-27 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I wouldn't have followed the advice to change the path, as I'm using
MikTeX too and I know that the path settings might interfer. The command
prompt is fine, I can Alt-Tab out of my editor and compile a tex file -
that's not too inconvenient.

Compiling a test document actually works, it scanned through the fonts
and finished without errors, even with \usemodule[tikz]. Actually using
tikz did not work first, but I installed the module and now it works.

And nobody commented the kpathsea601.dll copy!?

Regards

Christoph

On 27.04.2011 20:12, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2011, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>>> What's next? I don't want to break anything by just trying to "use"
>>> context, I'm afraid of skipping something important now.
>>
>> depends on how you run tex ... you can try to add the
>> .../tex/texmf-mswin/bin path to your global PATH variable
>
> If you have another tex installation (Miktex, Texlive), don't do this.
>
>> alternatively you can open a cmd prompt and run setuptex (in ../tex)
>> to initialize the path
>
> First test if this method works. More precisely, run
>
> Path-to-context\tex\setuptex
>
> and then compile a test document using
>
> context test
>
>> If you want to run from an editor (take scite as example, description
>> on wiki) you need to make sure that mtxrun.exe can be found
>
> I would suggest that you first try the command line method. It is much
> easier to debug if something goes wrong.
>
> Aditya

* Re: tikz / pgf 2.10: errors
@ 2011-04-28 15:20           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-04-28 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 10:24, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2011, Christoph Redecker wrote:
>
>> For the gui installer, I provided what I could. I clicked "Next" and
>> "Finish" where I could, but the options I used are included in my last post.
>> Is it possible that you mixed up the command line installation and the gui
>> variant?
>
> Yes I did mix the two up. I re-read your last post again. I don't know why
> you get the missing kpathsea600.dll error message. The bin directory
> actually contains kpathsea601.dll.

This must be my fault. When LuaTeX switched to kpathsea601 I deleted
kpathsea600, but forgot that kpathsea probably still depends on
kpathsea600. I'll fix that, sorry for the inconvenience.

TikZ has been fixed a while ago, but since there was no major release
since then, it didn't proliferate to MikTeX. You could easily fix
MikTeX by copying a tiny trivial change from ConTeXt minimals to
MikTeX, I just need to check which file exactly.

Mojca

* Re: tikz / pgf 2.10: errors
@ 2011-04-28 15:30             ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-04-28 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 17:20, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 10:24, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Apr 2011, Christoph Redecker wrote:
>>
>>> For the gui installer, I provided what I could. I clicked "Next" and
>>> "Finish" where I could, but the options I used are included in my last post.
>>> Is it possible that you mixed up the command line installation and the gui
>>> variant?
>>
>> Yes I did mix the two up. I re-read your last post again. I don't know why
>> you get the missing kpathsea600.dll error message. The bin directory
>> actually contains kpathsea601.dll.
>
> This must be my fault. When LuaTeX switched to kpathsea601 I deleted
> kpathsea600, but forgot that kpathsea probably still depends on
> kpathsea600. I'll fix that, sorry for the inconvenience.

The problem seems to be that I'm copying kpathsea from TeX Live and
that version still depends on kpathsea600.dll. As a temporary solution
I added kpathsea600.dll back (I'm not sure if I added it properly to
all the places), but I will probably change the code, so that it will
fetch all the binaries from Akira instead of taking the ones from old
TeX Live.

Mojca