* RE: My ConTeXt cannot use Type1 fonts...
       [not found] <20050331203717.54552128B8@ronja.ntg.nl>
@ 2005-04-01 17:04 ` 李 树钧
From: 李 树钧 @ 2005-04-01 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Thank Idris Samawi Hamid and Geert for their help on clarifying this
problem.
Today I saw a solution from a Chinese TeXer, and now I understand why the
Type1 fonts cannot be recognized.

To make ConTeXt support Chinese, I maintain a file named
tex\contex\user\cont-sys.tex, which is a modifed copy of
texmf\tex\context\user\cont-sys.rme.
In this file, there are the following codes:

\resetmapfiles

\donefalse \ifx\pdftexversion\undefined \else
\ifnum\number\pdftexversion>119
  \donetrue
\fi \fi \ifdone

  \loadmapfile[original-base.map]
  \loadmapfile[original-ams-base.map]
  \loadmapfile[original-public-lm.map]

\else

  \loadmapfile[original-base.map]
  \loadmapfile[texnansi-base.map]
  \loadmapfile[ec-base.map]
  \loadmapfile[qx-base.map]
  \loadmapfile[t5-base.map]
  %loadmapfile[il2-base.map]
  %loadmapfile[pl0-base.map]
  \loadmapfile[8r-base.map]

  \loadmapfile[original-ams-base.map]
  \loadmapfile[original-ams-euler.map]

  \loadmapfile[original-public-lm.map]
  \loadmapfile[texnansi-public-lm.map]
  \loadmapfile[ec-public-lm.map]
  \loadmapfile[qx-public-lm.map]
  \loadmapfile[t5-public-lm.map]
  \loadmapfile[pl0-public-lm.map]
  \loadmapfile[il2-public-lm.map]

\fi

These codes let ConTeXt load the map files for pdftex, so psfonts.map is
omitted by ConTeXt.
As a result, we have two solutions to overcome this problem:

1. comment all the above codes, and let ConTeXt to read font maps via
pdftex;
2. add a line "\loadmapfile[xxx.map]" to explicitly load the required map,
just as we should do in the beginning of a tex file (Geert's solution).

Hope the above information is useful for other ConTeXters.

Shujun

* RE: My ConTeXt cannot use Type1 fonts...
@ 2005-03-31 18:01 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-03-31 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

<ntg-context@ntg.nl> =====
>Recently I installed the latest stable version of ConTeXt under MiKTeX
>(b20050215).
>To use Chinese characters in ConTeXt, I installed some Chinese Type1 fonts
>and related map/enc files.
>However, I found "texexec --pdf foo.tex" cannot read Type1 Chinese fonts.
>In this case, ConTeXt uses pk fonts (generated from ttf fonts), and finally
>I got pdf files with very low quality.

I use fpTeX, so I may be missing something...

Question: Do you have both ttf and pfb versions of the same font? If so, try
removing the ttf version (and refresh fndb).

I think that it is much better to have separate map files for your add-on
fonts, instead of adding them to psfonts.map (of course you will have to edit
your dvips and dvipdfm configuration files as well if you do this). Make a
dedicated map file for your font and place it in your local
\fonts\map\pdftex\context. See, e.g.,

texnansi-urw-times.map

for syntax. Refresh the fndb, and try again.

If things still don't work, compile a very simple file that uses that font and
send a copy of your log file to the list. Then somebody will be in a better
position to determine what's wrong.

A final possibility (but I'm not sure if this will work for Chinese or other
non-Latin fonts): remove all reference to your font from your ConTeXt system
(tfm's, map's, ttf's, pfb's, etc). See if texfont can install your font. Place
the pfb's in a temporary directory and run

texfont --ma --in --ve=<maker of your font> --co=<your typeface name>

This should install the font for you, with proper map files, tfm's, etc. My
only worry is that texfont may need some additional encoding information for
Chinese.

Don't give up!

Best
Idris

============================
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* My ConTeXt cannot use Type1 fonts...
       [not found] <20050331155756.3CE24128B8@ronja.ntg.nl>
@ 2005-03-31 17:23 ` 李 树钧
From: 李 树钧 @ 2005-03-31 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I am a Chinese beginner of ConTeXt.
Recently I installed the latest stable version of ConTeXt under MiKTeX
(b20050215).
To use Chinese characters in ConTeXt, I installed some Chinese Type1 fonts
and related map/enc files.
However, I found "texexec --pdf foo.tex" cannot read Type1 Chinese fonts.
In this case, ConTeXt uses pk fonts (generated from ttf fonts), and finally
I got pdf files with very low quality.
As a comparison, "texexec foo.tex" + dvipdfm (or dvips+ps2pdf) works well
to produce good pdf files.

As we know, now pdftex.cfg cannot be used to load font map files.
So I added the map file of Chinese Type1 fonts into
miktex\config\updmap.cfg and run initexmf --mkmaps to insert the fonts to
psfonts.map.
This works well for pdftex, but doesn't work for ConTeXt.
I don't know why and cannot go further.

Can any one offer some help to solve this problem? Thanks in advance.

best regards,

Shujun Li
http://www.hooklee.com/tex.html

免费下载 MSN Explorer:   http://explorer.msn.com/lccn/