* Re: Tex or Context Editors.
@ 2004-11-10 22:31 Dirar BOUGATEF
From: Dirar BOUGATEF @ 2004-11-10 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks all,

Unfortunately, for the moment i wouldn't use emacs but i have tried scite.
The first problem i can see is that it does not handle multiple files
opening, color setup isn't straight forward (Have to deal with hexa values)
..

Apart from this, looks fine. It seems like WinEdt is a lot more oriented
towards Tex and friends writing (Has even grammatical correction).

What about texwork then ?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Dirar.

http://messenger.msn.com/

* Re: Tex or Context Editors.
@ 2004-11-10 23:11 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2004-11-10 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:24:26 +0000, Dirar BOUGATEF <chabah5@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Idriss,
>
> I had a look at WinEdt and it is very tex oriented, but i have seen any
> reference to Context. Do you see some advantages for Context use (I have
> seen support for tex tables, project (Don't know which kind ..)) ?

For ConTeXt I just define the pdfTeX button to call texexec. There is no
built-in ConTeXt capabilities, but it is almost trivial to add buttons or
even create your own (I've made a few myself), define and insert
environments, etc. Just look up all the options that define the LaTeX
options and redefine them in ConTeXt (or just add the ConTeXt options).
There is virtually no-hard-wired LaTeX support that can't be changed or
augmented.

It may not be open-source:-(, but for TeX/ConTeXt you won't find better
(yet).

Idris
--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: Tex or Context Editors.
@ 2004-11-10 22:24 Dirar BOUGATEF
From: Dirar BOUGATEF @ 2004-11-10 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Idriss,

I had a look at WinEdt and it is very tex oriented, but i have seen any
reference to Context. Do you see some advantages for Context use (I have
seen support for tex tables, project (Don't know which kind ..)) ?

Thanks.

Dirar.

http://messenger.msn.com/

* Re: Tex or Context Editors.
@ 2004-11-09  9:27     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-11-09  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:

> Now, I've seen your source code over the years and it is quite beautiful,
> easy to read.

the look and feel of code is one of the reasons for the way the context
interface looks (also the syntax highlighting); as soon as something looks bad
in code, i need to make a new macro cq. environment -)

for a long time we used our own editor (written long ago) and that one indeed
had some handy alignment options;

for scite i do have a pipeline for doing similar things

> Are you telling us that Scite will do alignment of tables and other nice
> automatic formatting?

i do have some experimental stuff running here (scite <-> ruby)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Tex or Context Editors.
@ 2004-11-09  3:32   ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2004-11-09  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans,

One of my favorite things about Auctex+Emacs is C-M-\ which will format
marked region, buffer, etc. The source coes is ually nicely aligned after
application of this macro.

At 03:20 PM 11/8/04 +0100, you wrote:
>Dirar BOUGATEF wrote:
>
>> Am using eclipse as my editor (eTex) but it is really too heavy, anyone
>> knows of an editor that works fine within tex and windows.
>
>i use scite
>
>Hans

* Re: Tex or Context Editors.
@ 2004-11-08 22:28   ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2004-11-08 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 19:53:35 +0100, Willi Egger <w.egger@boede.nl> wrote:

> I would suggest that you try Scite. This editor integrates very nicely
> with Context and Hans has done a great job providing this integration.

For Windows there is really nothing that matches WinEdt for TeX. It can
easily be customised for ConTeXt as well. Scite certainly has its appeal,
and I use it sometimes, but the features of WinEdt for the average TeX
user are unmatched as far as I can tell; even Linux does not offer
anything comparable. The only thing it misses is full Unicode and bidi
support. Unfortunately Scite does not have that either...

Best
Idris
--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: Tex or Context Editors.
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-11-08 18:53 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2004-11-08 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Dirar,

I would suggest that you try Scite. This editor integrates very nicely
with Context and Hans has done a great job providing this integration.

Willi

Dirar BOUGATEF wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am using eclipse as my editor (eTex) but it is really too heavy, anyone
> knows of an editor that works fine within tex and windows.
>
> What about TexWork.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Dirar.

* Re: Tex or Context Editors.
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-11-08 14:21 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-11-08 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Dirar and Mari,

if you use emacs, you can try out AUCTeX, wich has all of context.el
from Berend de Boer as well as some nice features you get from AUCTeX.

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: Tex or Context Editors.
@ 2004-11-08 14:20 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-11-08 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dirar BOUGATEF wrote:

> Am using eclipse as my editor (eTex) but it is really too heavy, anyone
> knows of an editor that works fine within tex and windows.

i use scite

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Tex or Context Editors.
@ 2004-11-08 13:22 ` Patrick Gundlach
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-11-08 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Dirar BOUGATEF" <chabah5@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Am using eclipse as my editor (eTex) but it is really too heavy,
> anyone knows of an editor that works fine within tex and windows.

See:

http://contextgarden.net/Text_editor

especially emacs...

Please share your experience on the wiki :-)

--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: Tex or Context Editors.
@ 2004-11-08 13:03 ` Mari Voipio
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Mari Voipio @ 2004-11-08 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Dirar BOUGATEF wrote:
> Am using eclipse as my editor (eTex) but it is really too heavy, anyone
> knows of an editor that works fine within tex and windows.

Depends on what you want of your editor and how you want it to be. I use
NTEmacs (prefer that to XEmacs) with context.el and I have yet to see it
to crash in the ConTeXt mode (some others on the other hand... but that's
a rare problem).

As I don't ever write TeX (wouldn't know how, I started with ConTeXt), I
autoload the ConTeXt mode on top of tex mode, but I understand that you
could keep the default settings to do TeX and load the Context major mode
only when writing ConTeXt.

The ConTeXt CD system has SciTe and it looks like something a "normal"
(not so nerdy) Windows user would want, but I'm long time GNUEmacs user
and prefer NTEmacs already for that (I also find that compiling is easier
to follow and debug in Emacs, but this is a personal preference).

The disclaimer here is that my ConTeXt code is fairly basic and I write
codes by hand, I only use the editor to highlight (which job it does quite
nicely) and validate (checking the parentheses) the code and to compile
and view pdf files. So my needs are very simply and are easily filled by
either SciTe (for those mouse people...) or NTEmacs (for those who are
willing to learn something new or already know Emacs), both extended with
suitable ConTeXt package (mode, plug-in, whatever you want to call it).

I guess I should really start working on those "ConTeXt basics for
Windows" articles or something...

			mari
			(just slightly "nerdish" Windows person)

* Tex or Context Editors.
@ 2004-11-08 12:37 Dirar BOUGATEF
                   ` (4 more replies)