All, OK, it seems the times are passing me by. I am running Miktex 2.4. It comes with Context installed and there is a texexec.exe in /texmf/miktex/bin, which is on my path. C:\CONTEXT\PRACTICE>path PATH=C:\Perl\bin\;C:\texmf\miktex\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WIND OWS\ System32\Wbem;c:\yandy\yandytex;c:\yandy\dviwind After enabling write18 and setting these in my cont-sys.tex, \runMPgraphicstrue \runMPTEXgraphicstrue \useMETAFUNformattrue I could not get Context to build Metapost graphics on the fly (at least in my test file). I have installed Ruby. After reading: http://www.contextgarden.net/Update_Hints I tried the following: texmfstart --make texexec.pl This built a texexec.bat, which I moved to /texmf/miktex/bin, where I also renamed texexec.exe to texexec.exe.bak. As a result, the file below compiled nicely and I had my graphic in the background. However, this killed Context running in Auctex and Emacs, which will no longer compile the file below. I get the error message in the attached log file. Any thoughts on how I can get going in Auctex again? The file junk.tex: \setupoutput[pdf] \setupwhitespace[medium] \startuniqueMPgraphic{concept} draw btex \bf CONCEPT etex rotated 60 withcolor .8white; currentpicture:=currentpicture ysized (\overlayheight-0.5cm); \stopuniqueMPgraphic \defineoverlay[concept][\uniqueMPgraphic{concept}] \setupbackgrounds[page][background=concept] \starttext Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. \stoptext