* Space between heading and paragraph in a description
@ 2020-02-18 19:16 Kevin Kenan
From: Kevin Kenan @ 2020-02-18 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

How can I keep the space between the heading text and the paragraph from stretching/shrinking in a description?

MWE that exhibits variable space between the heading (the defined word) and the paragraph text:

    \definedescription
      [definition]
      [headstyle=italic,
       indenting=1em,
       alternative=hanging,
       margin=2em,
       distance=1.5em,
       width=fit,]

    \starttext

    \definition{thelongheader} introducing bigwords mid-1990s, humans have taken
    an unprecedented step in Earthly annals by introducing not just exotic

    \definition{thelongheader} but actually inserting strange and exotic genes
    into the base operating systems of individual plants and animals, where
    they’re intended to do exactly the same thing: copy themselves, over and over.

    \definition{thelongheader} Since the late to mid-1990s, humans have taken a
    rare step in Earthly annals by introducing not just exotic flora or fauna from
    one

    \stoptext

Thanks,
-kk

* Re: Space between heading and paragraph in a description
@ 2020-02-18 19:26 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-02-18 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 11:16:58 -0800
Kevin Kenan <kevin@kevinkenan.com> wrote:

> How can I keep the space between the heading text and the paragraph from stretching/shrinking in a description?
>
> MWE that exhibits variable space between the heading (the defined word) and the paragraph text:
>

>     \definedescription
>       [definition]
>       [headstyle=italic,
>        indenting=1em,
>        alternative=hanging,
>        margin=2em,
>        distance=1.5em,

stretch=0,
shrink=0,

>        width=fit,]

Wolfgang

* Re: Space between heading and paragraph in a description
@ 2020-02-18 19:39   ` Kevin Kenan
From: Kevin Kenan @ 2020-02-18 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Perfect. Thank you, Wolfgang.

Is there a way I could have discovered this answer without bothering folks on the list?

-kk

@ 2020-02-18 19:50     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-02-18 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 11:39:24 -0800
Kevin Kenan <kevin@kevinkenan.com> wrote:

> Perfect. Thank you, Wolfgang.
>
> Is there a way I could have discovered this answer without bothering folks on the list?

You can always try the list archive, e.g. the same problems was asked last year.

https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2019/094735.html

Wolfgang

* Re: Space between heading and paragraph in a description
@ 2020-02-18 20:53       ` Kevin Kenan
From: Kevin Kenan @ 2020-02-18 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Feb 18, 2020, at 11:50 AM, Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You can always try the list archive, e.g. the same problems was asked last year.
>
> https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2019/094735.html <https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2019/094735.html>

I had tried searching the archive using a few variations of "heading paragraph description” but was unsuccessful in finding the previous answer.

I’m still new to ConTeXt so hopefully I will get better at figuring out what the key terms should be when searching.

Thanks again.

@ 2020-02-19  3:45         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2020-02-19  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 18 Feb 2020, Kevin Kenan wrote:

>> On Feb 18, 2020, at 11:50 AM, Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You can always try the list archive, e.g. the same problems was asked last year.
>>
>> https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2019/094735.html <https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2019/094735.html>
>

> I had tried searching the archive using a few variations of "heading
> paragraph description” but was unsuccessful in finding the previous
> answer.
>
> I’m still new to ConTeXt so hopefully I will get better at figuring out
> what the key terms should be when searching.

Add what you discovered to the wiki!

Aditya

* Re: Space between heading and paragraph in a description
@ 2020-02-19 15:22           ` Kevin Kenan
From: Kevin Kenan @ 2020-02-19 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)