On 2007-01-03, at 22:08.0, Hans Hagen wrote: > cormullion@mac.com wrote: >> This is puzzling me. If i type this in a text editor: >> >> \starttext >> These are 'quotes'. >> \starttyping >> let a = 'quoted string' >> \stoptyping >> \stoptext >> >> I'm using dumb quotes (hex 27). ConText renders this as this: >> >> These are �quotes�. >> let a = �quoted string� >> >> ie the quotes have been educated - although only half-educated, since >> the opening one should be an opening one, if you see what I mean. But >> I really don't want characters in the verbatim (typing) section to >> change...because when you copy them from the PDF into an editor, the >> code listings don't work! >> >> There must be some kind of switch somewhere that stops ConteXt >> changing them? >> >> > context does nothing with the quotes, its the font Thanks, Hans. I'm a bit confused though: in the verbatim sections I want the vertical typewriter quote rather than any '6' or '9' style quotation mark apostrophe. I can see the difference in most of the fonts I have here. In Courier, for example, the difference is about 25 degrees of slope, and the inclined quotation mark is lower down too. So perhaps I should rephrase my question: how can I keep the vertical ' that I type into typing sections without it getting converted to a curvy quote ’...? many thanks for any help