* Merging PDF document of various page sizes. Can ConTeXt help?
@ 2012-01-13 15:20 Gerben Wierda
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2012-01-13 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello community,

I have the following problem. I need to create a single PDF file where each page may have a different size and orientation. Say the first page is A4 portrait, the second is A3 landscape and so on. Can ConTeXr help? Each page contains a PDF image of some random size that is inserted.

I have been looking around for a solution but haven't found one. I also tried Create.app, the drawing program. And I tried a program call PDF Merge and some others. Neither of these work, and most of the merge programs out there maybe merged, but changed the nice vector images into pixel images, completely destroying print quality.

So, I am back where I started. Is there some fancy ConTeXt trickery I could use to do this?

- Each page has a different size and orientation
- Each page contains a PDF vector image that is not to be converted to pixels

Yours,

* Re: Merging PDF document of various page sizes. Can ConTeXt help?
@ 2012-01-13 15:26 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-01-13 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Gerben Wierda <gerben.wierda@rna.nl> wrote:

> Hello community,
>
> I have the following problem. I need to create a single PDF file where
> each page may have a different size and orientation. Say the first page is
> A4 portrait, the second is A3 landscape and so on. Can ConTeXr help? Each
> page contains a PDF image of some random size that is inserted.
>
> I have been looking around for a solution but haven't found one. I also
> tried Create.app, the drawing program. And I tried a program call PDF Merge
> and some others. Neither of these work, and most of the merge programs out
> there maybe merged, but changed the nice vector images into pixel images,
> completely destroying print quality.
>
> So, I am back where I started. Is there some fancy ConTeXt trickery I
> could use to do this?

> - Each page has a different size and orientation
> - Each page contains a PDF vector image that is not to be converted to
> pixels

So , if you have file-001.pdf, file-002.pdf, file-003.pdf maybe
\starttext
\startTEXpage\externalfigure[file-001]\stopTEXpage
\startTEXpage\externalfigure[file-002]\stopTEXpage
\startTEXpage\externalfigure[file-003]\stopTEXpage
\stoptext
is what you need.

--
luigi

* Re: Merging PDF document of various page sizes. Can ConTeXt help?
@ 2012-01-13 15:27 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-01-13 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 16:20, Gerben Wierda <gerben.wierda@rna.nl> wrote:
> Hello community,
>
> I have the following problem. I need to create a single PDF file where each page may have a different size and orientation. Say the first page is A4 portrait, the second is A3 landscape and so on. Can ConTeXr help? Each page contains a PDF image of some random size that is inserted.
>
> I have been looking around for a solution but haven't found one. I also tried Create.app, the drawing program. And I tried a program call PDF Merge and some others. Neither of these work, and most of the merge programs out there maybe merged, but changed the nice vector images into pixel images, completely destroying print quality.
>
> So, I am back where I started. Is there some fancy ConTeXt trickery I could use to do this?

> - Each page has a different size and orientation
> - Each page contains a PDF vector image that is not to be converted to pixels

Yes, this is easy. There are three options:

1.) \startTEXpage\externalfigure[...]\stopTEXpage
2.) same, but with TEXstream
3.) a shortcut for the above, \startpagefigure. See
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Including_pages_from_PDF_document

Mojca

* Re: Merging PDF document of various page sizes. Can ConTeXt help?
@ 2012-01-13 15:44   ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2012-01-13 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Answering my own question, quite simple with ConTeXt:

\definepapersize[a3landscape][A3,landscape]
\definepapersize[a4portrait][A4,portrait]
\setuppapersize[a4portrait]
\starttext
\externalfigure[foo.pdf]
\page\setuppapersize[a3landscape]
\externalfigure[bar.pdf]
\stoptext

PS. The solution below does not work because it keeps the sizes of the images and does not set page sizes for the pages where the images are embedded.

@ 2012-01-13 15:47     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-01-13 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Gerben Wierda <gerben.wierda@rna.nl> wrote:

> Answering my own question, quite simple with ConTeXt:
>
> \definepapersize[a3landscape][A3,landscape]
> \definepapersize[a4portrait][A4,portrait]
> \setuppapersize[a4portrait]
> \starttext
> \externalfigure[foo.pdf]
> \page\setuppapersize[a3landscape]
> \externalfigure[bar.pdf]
> \stoptext

> PS. The solution below does not work because it keeps the sizes of the
> images and does not set page sizes for the pages where the images are
> embedded.

Ah ok, you don't want to inherit the pagesize from the external pdf.

--
luigi

* Re: Merging PDF document of various page sizes. Can ConTeXt help?
@ 2012-01-13 17:15       ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2012-01-13 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

It still is weird. It sometimes work (but not completely) and sometimes not. For instance

\definepapersize[a3landscape][A3,landscape]
\definepapersize[a4portrait][A4,portrait]
\setuppapersize[a3landscape]
\starttext
\externalfigure[foo.pdf]
\stoptext

foo.pdf is a 18.43x13.88 inch PDF image
The end result is a 16.54x16.54 inch PDF image with the embedded image cropped.

??

@ 2012-01-13 17:49         ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2012-01-13 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Weirder still.

\definepapersize[large][a3,landscape]
\definepapersize[small][a4,portrait]
\setuppapersize[large]
\starttext
\externalfigure[foo.pdf]
\page\setuppapersize[small]
\externalfigure[bar.pdf]
\stoptext

The first page is now 11.69x11.69 inch and the second page is a4, but landscape

So, let's make sure I use both layout size and print size in my definitions

\definepapersize[large][a3,landscape][a3,landscape]
\definepapersize[small][a4,portrait][a4,portrait]
\setuppapersize[large]
\starttext
\externalfigure[foo.pdf][factor=fit]
\page\setuppapersize[small]
\externalfigure[bar.pdf][factor=fit]
\stoptext

Now both pages are a4 landscape. Another go:

\setuppapersize[a3,landscape][a3,landscape]
\starttext
\externalfigure[BoudewijndeHaasOpgave2Totaalview.pdf][factor=fit]
\page\setuppapersize[a4,portrait][a4,portrait]
\externalfigure[FredRademakerOpgave2Totaalview.pdf][factor=fit]
\stoptext

Both a4 landscape again.

Does this stuff work at all? Another go

\setuppapersize[A3,landscape][A3,landscape]
\starttext
\externalfigure[foo.pdf][factor=fit]
\page\setuppapersize[A4,portrait][A4,portrait]
\externalfigure[bar.pdf][factor=fit]
\stoptext

Hmm, this works. I originally used lower case a4 and a3, as I saw that in an example somewhere. But somewhere else I saw A3, A4 etc.

@ 2012-01-13 22:43 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-01-13 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> Hello community,
>
> I have the following problem. I need to create a single PDF file where each page may have a different size and orientation. Say the first page is A4 portrait, the second is A3 landscape and so on. Can ConTeXr help? Each page contains a PDF image of some random size that is inserted.
>
> I have been looking around for a solution but haven't found one. I also tried Create.app, the drawing program. And I tried a program call PDF Merge and some others. Neither of these work, and most of the merge programs out there maybe merged, but changed the nice vector images into pixel images, completely destroying print quality.
>
> So, I am back where I started. Is there some fancy ConTeXt trickery I could use to do this?

> - Each page has a different size and orientation
> - Each page contains a PDF vector image that is not to be converted to pixels

In the past I have used pdftk to merge pdfs and found it to be pretty
reliable.

Aditya

* Re: Merging PDF document of various page sizes. Can ConTeXt help?
@ 2012-01-13 22:57   ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2012-01-13 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I did not see the possibility to influence page sizes of the PDF's you merge in the man page.

@ 2012-01-13 23:03     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-01-13 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> I did not see the possibility to influence page sizes of the PDF's you merge in the man page.

I thought that you did not want to influence the page size. From what I
remember, pdftk does not change page sizes, it simply merges the pdfs.

Aditya

* Re: Merging PDF document of various page sizes. Can ConTeXt help?
@ 2012-01-13 23:15       ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2012-01-13 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wrote:

- One PDF as result
- Each page has a different size and orientation
- Each page contains a PDF vector image that is not to be converted to pixels

I have looked at  many tools: All so far do not leave vector images vector images, they convert to pixels and at a pretty low resolution at that. All so far looked at do not ignore page sizes, they set a page size for the entire document.

Anyway, ConTeXt is capable, though it is difficult to get it working properly because its arguments cannot stand combinations of fit-to-size and rotation in combination. But with a lot of specific hand work and nudging, I can get there eventually.