From: "Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de>
Subject: Re: \texteuro does not work
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 20:50:33 +0100	[thread overview]

On Feb 12, 2007, at 6:50 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> A question to Hans: I do not know much about fonts, but from what I
> understand ec is ugly and one should use texnansi. So why does ConTeXt
> default to ec. I am sure that for most users like, fonts in TeX is a
> mystry, and they do not really care which font encoding is used, as
> long as it works. So, can we move to texnansi as the default? Or is
> there something at which ec is really better?
>
> Aditya

Well, it pretty much depends what you want. EC has lots of accented
letters for many languages, and since it is much more popular in the
LaTeX world than texnansi, you'll find many more tfm files in your
TeX installation with ec encoding than with texnansi. In fact, having
texnansi as default was one of the headaches in my early ConTeXt days
because ConTeXt would ask for texnansi-lm... files which simply
weren't there. Many convenient things (like Euro, a couple of
fractions, degree etc.) are not in ec, but in the LaTeX world, most
ec-fonts are accompanied by a ts1-encoded counterpart, and switching
to this for these symbols is automatic; we don't have this in
ConTeXt, AFAICS. But now, Latin Modern is pretty complete, as are the
tex gyre fonts, so yes, IMHO, switching to texnansi as default could
make sense.

\startmode[hansmode]
Ah, wait for luatex where fonts can use the afm and create encodings
on the fly, so we don't need to worry about this anymore!
\stopmode

;-)

Thomas