* \startnarrower and TABLEs
@ 2010-09-23  8:14 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2010-09-23  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

my goal is to make a table that is as wide as the current \startnarrower ... \stopnarrower part (thanks to the answer to this question on tex.stackexchange.com:  http://tex.stackexchange.com/q/3381/243 )

\starttext
\startnarrower

\input tufte

\bTABLE[option=stretch]
\bTR \bTD 2 \eTD \bTD 3 \eTD \eTR
\bTR \bTD 2 \eTD \bTD 3 \eTD \eTR
\eTABLE

\stopnarrower

\stoptext

Can I make the table exactly as wide as the text?

Patrick

* Re: \startnarrower and TABLEs
@ 2010-09-23  8:24 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-09-23  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 23.09.2010 um 10:14 schrieb Patrick Gundlach:

> Hi,
>
> my goal is to make a table that is as wide as the current \startnarrower ... \stopnarrower part (thanks to the answer to this question on tex.stackexchange.com:  http://tex.stackexchange.com/q/3381/243 )

> \starttext
> \startnarrower
>
> \input tufte

\startlinecorrection \dontleavehmode
\bTABLE[option=stretch,textwidth=\localhsize]

> \bTABLE[option=stretch]
> \bTR \bTD 2 \eTD \bTD 3 \eTD \eTR
> \bTR \bTD 2 \eTD \bTD 3 \eTD \eTR
> \eTABLE

\stoplinecorrection

> \stopnarrower
>
> \stoptext
>
> Can I make the table exactly as wide as the text?

Use the “textwidth” key but keep in mind with the linecorrection you can
use split tables, for tables which use indent from \startnarrower and
split across pages you can use tabulate.

Wolfgang

* Re: \startnarrower and TABLEs
@ 2010-09-23  8:48   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2010-09-23  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Wolfgang,

> Use the “textwidth” key but keep in mind with the linecorrection you can
> use split tables, for tables which use indent from \startnarrower and
> split across pages you can use tabulate.

I am afraid I don't get the full meaning of your answer. When I use tabulate, I have exactly the same problem as I have with TABLEs:

\starttext
\startnarrower

\input tufte

\starttabulate[|l|l|]
\HL
\NC format	\NC meaning	\NC\NR
\HL
\NC c		\NC centered	\NC\NR
\NC l		\NC left aligned	\NC\NR
\NC r		\NC right aligned	\NC\NR
\NC w(1cm)	\NC one line, fixed width	\NC\NR
\NC p(2cm)	\NC paragraph, lines broken to fixed width	\NC\NR
\NC cg(.)	\NC align on a character        \NC\NR
\HL
\stoptabulate
\stopnarrower

\stoptext

(and I couldn't find a key from setuptabulate that changes the width of the table)

@ 2010-09-23  8:55     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-09-23  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 23.09.2010 um 10:48 schrieb Patrick Gundlach:

> Hello Wolfgang,
>

>> Use the “textwidth” key but keep in mind with the linecorrection you can
>> use split tables, for tables which use indent from \startnarrower and
>> split across pages you can use tabulate.
>
> I am afraid I don't get the full meaning of your answer. When I use tabulate, I have exactly the same problem as I have with TABLEs:

Sorry but i don’t know what you mean, in my example the tabulate has the same
width as the text in the narrower environment.

\starttext

\input knuth

\startnarrower

\input knuth

\starttabulate[|p|p|]
\NC \input ward \NC \input zapf \NC\NR
\stoptabulate

\stopnarrower

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: \startnarrower and TABLEs
@ 2010-09-23  9:00       ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2010-09-23  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Wolfgang,

> Sorry but i don’t know what you mean, in my example the tabulate has the same
> width as the text in the narrower environment.

Insert an \HL and you'll see that this a bit strange.

> \starttext
>
> \input knuth
>
> \startnarrower
>
> \input knuth
>
> \starttabulate[|p|p|]

\HL

@ 2010-09-23  9:18         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-09-23  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 23.09.2010 um 11:00 schrieb Patrick Gundlach:

> Hello Wolfgang,
>
>> Sorry but i don’t know what you mean, in my example the tabulate has the same
>> width as the text in the narrower environment.
>
> Insert an \HL and you'll see that this a bit strange.

You can use \HR, it has more spacing before and after the line
but it works correct in narrower text and itemize.

Wolfgang

* Re: \startnarrower and TABLEs
@ 2010-09-23  9:27           ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2010-09-23  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You can use \HR, it has more spacing before and after the line
> but it works correct in narrower text and itemize.

Sorry for the stupid question, but how do I use \HR?

\starttabulate[|p|p|]
\HR
\NC \input ward \NC \input zapf \NC\NR
\HR
\stoptabulate

gives me a misplaced noalign.

@ 2010-09-23  9:30             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-09-23  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 23.09.2010 um 11:27 schrieb Patrick Gundlach:

>> You can use \HR, it has more spacing before and after the line
>> but it works correct in narrower text and itemize.
>

> Sorry for the stupid question, but how do I use \HR?
>
> \starttabulate[|p|p|]
> \HR
> \NC \input ward \NC \input zapf \NC\NR
> \HR
> \stoptabulate
>

> gives me a misplaced noalign.

Make a bug report, your example works with mkii but fails with mkiv.

Wolfgang