* lucida and mactex 2008
@ 2008-12-23 20:07 Jerónimo Alaminos Prats
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jerónimo Alaminos Prats @ 2008-12-23 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

I have been using the lucida fonts without problems for a long time.
They work like a charm with mactex 2007 but moving to the 2008 version
I've found that some math symbols are shuffled  or simply do not
appear in the pdf. For example, \midint compiles correctly but do not
appear in the pdf result.

I have checked everything that  I can imagine but cannot find a reason
for this behaviour.

As example, the result that I get when i compile

\setupcolors[state=start]

\usetypescript[lucida][texnansi]
\usetypescript[lucidabfm][texnansi]
\usetypescript[lucidaboldmath][texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[lucida,10pt]
\starttext
\showmathcharacters
\stoptext

can be seen at

http://www.ugr.es/~alaminos/_Media/lucida-2008.pdf

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeronimo

-------------------------------------
Jerónimo Alaminos Prats
Dpto. Análisis Matemático
Facultad de Ciencias
Universidad de Granada
Granada - 18071
alaminos@ugr.es

* Re: lucida and mactex 2008
@ 2008-12-23 21:56 ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2008-12-23 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

sorry i'm stealing your thread, but i'm thinking of buying the lucida
fonts with maths, which version works with luatex and which one works
with mkii, please provide a link for both.

Jerónimo Alaminos Prats wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been using the lucida fonts without problems for a long time.
> They work like a charm with mactex 2007 but moving to the 2008 version
> I've found that some math symbols are shuffled  or simply do not appear
> in the pdf. For example, \midint compiles correctly but do not appear in
> the pdf result.
>
> I have checked everything that  I can imagine but cannot find a reason
> for this behaviour.
>
> As example, the result that I get when i compile
>
> \setupcolors[state=start]
>
> \usetypescript[lucida][texnansi]
> \usetypescript[lucidabfm][texnansi]
> \usetypescript[lucidaboldmath][texnansi]
> \setupbodyfont[lucida,10pt]
> \starttext
> \showmathcharacters
> \stoptext
>
> can be seen at
>
> http://www.ugr.es/~alaminos/_Media/lucida-2008.pdf
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeronimo
>

> -------------------------------------
> Jer�nimo Alaminos Prats
> Dpto. An�lisis Matem�tico
> Facultad de Ciencias
> Universidad de Granada
> Granada - 18071
> alaminos@ugr.es

* Re: lucida and mactex 2008
@ 2008-12-23 22:24 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-12-23 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 23.12.2008 um 21:07 schrieb Jerónimo Alaminos Prats:

> Hello,
>
> I have been using the lucida fonts without problems for a long time.
> They work like a charm with mactex 2007 but moving to the 2008
> version I've found that some math symbols are shuffled  or simply do
> not appear in the pdf. For example, \midint compiles correctly but
> do not appear in the pdf result.
>
> I have checked everything that  I can imagine but cannot find a
> reason for this behaviour.
>
> As example, the result that I get when i compile
>
> \setupcolors[state=start]
>
> \usetypescript[lucida][texnansi]
> \usetypescript[lucidabfm][texnansi]
> \usetypescript[lucidaboldmath][texnansi]
> \setupbodyfont[lucida,10pt]
> \starttext
> \showmathcharacters
> \stoptext
>
> can be seen at
>
> http://www.ugr.es/~alaminos/_Media/lucida-2008.pdf
>
> Any ideas?

Send your log file.

Wolfgang

* Re: lucida and mactex 2008
@ 2008-12-23 23:33 ` Aditya Mahajan
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-12-23 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008, Jerónimo Alaminos Prats wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been using the lucida fonts without problems for a long time. They
> work like a charm with mactex 2007 but moving to the 2008 version I've found
> that some math symbols are shuffled  or simply do not appear in the pdf. For
> example, \midint compiles correctly but do not appear in the pdf result.
>
> I have checked everything that  I can imagine but cannot find a reason for
> this behaviour.

This is because the math encoding files have not been completely extended
to mkiv yet. We are in the process of adding encoding information for all
unicode math symbols. \midintop is not a unicode character, and we need to
figure out how to represent non-unicode characters in the private areas of
unicode table. I do not know if there is a temporary workaround to make
this work.

Aditya

* Re: lucida and mactex 2008
@ 2008-12-24  4:39   ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-12-24  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, he use pdftex to process the file.

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 7:33 AM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2008, Jerónimo Alaminos Prats wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been using the lucida fonts without problems for a long time. They
>> work like a charm with mactex 2007 but moving to the 2008 version I've found
>> that some math symbols are shuffled  or simply do not appear in the pdf. For
>> example, \midint compiles correctly but do not appear in the pdf result.
>>
>> I have checked everything that  I can imagine but cannot find a reason for
>> this behaviour.
>
> This is because the math encoding files have not been completely extended to
> mkiv yet. We are in the process of adding encoding information for all
> unicode math symbols. \midintop is not a unicode character, and we need to
> figure out how to represent non-unicode characters in the private areas of
> unicode table. I do not know if there is a temporary workaround to make this
> work.
>
> Aditya

* Re: lucida and mactex 2008
@ 2008-12-24  4:42   ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-12-24  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

tug version will work in both mkiv and mkii. (I mean luatex 0.30.0)
in the future I think we should suggest TUG to distribute opentype
version of the font (including converting the math glyphs into
opentype math table).

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 5:56 AM, Mohamed Bana
<mbana.lists@googlemail.com> wrote:
> sorry i'm stealing your thread, but i'm thinking of buying the lucida fonts
> with maths, which version works with luatex and which one works with mkii,
> please provide a link for both.
>
> Jerónimo Alaminos Prats wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been using the lucida fonts without problems for a long time. They
>> work like a charm with mactex 2007 but moving to the 2008 version I've found
>> that some math symbols are shuffled  or simply do not appear in the pdf. For
>> example, \midint compiles correctly but do not appear in the pdf result.
>>
>> I have checked everything that  I can imagine but cannot find a reason for
>> this behaviour.
>>
>> As example, the result that I get when i compile
>>
>> \setupcolors[state=start]
>>
>> \usetypescript[lucida][texnansi]
>> \usetypescript[lucidabfm][texnansi]
>> \usetypescript[lucidaboldmath][texnansi]
>> \setupbodyfont[lucida,10pt]
>> \starttext
>> \showmathcharacters
>> \stoptext
>>
>> can be seen at
>>
>> http://www.ugr.es/~alaminos/_Media/lucida-2008.pdf
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jeronimo
>>

>> -------------------------------------
>> Jer�nimo Alaminos Prats
>> Dpto. An�lisis Matem�tico
>> Facultad de Ciencias
>> Universidad de Granada
>> Granada - 18071
>> alaminos@ugr.es

* Re: lucida and mactex 2008
@ 2008-12-24  8:40   ` Jerónimo Alaminos Prats
From: Jerónimo Alaminos Prats @ 2008-12-24  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

El 24/12/2008, a las 0:33, Aditya Mahajan escribió:

> On Tue, 23 Dec 2008, Jerónimo Alaminos Prats wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been using the lucida fonts without problems for a long
>> time. They work like a charm with mactex 2007 but moving to the
>> 2008 version I've found that some math symbols are shuffled  or
>> simply do not appear in the pdf. For example, \midint compiles
>> correctly but do not appear in the pdf result.
>>
>> I have checked everything that  I can imagine but cannot find a
>> reason for this behaviour.
>
> This is because the math encoding files have not been completely
> extended to mkiv yet. We are in the process of adding encoding
> information for all unicode math symbols. \midintop is not a unicode
> character, and we need to figure out how to represent non-unicode
> characters in the private areas of unicode table. I do not know if
> there is a temporary workaround to make this work.

I'm not using mkiv. It'sHere you have the log.

-------------------------------------
Jerónimo Alaminos Prats
Dpto. Análisis Matemático
Facultad de Ciencias
Universidad de Granada
Granada - 18071
alaminos@ugr.es

[-- Attachment #2: lucida-2008.log --]

* Re: lucida and mactex 2008
@ 2008-12-24  8:52   ` Jerónimo Alaminos Prats
From: Jerónimo Alaminos Prats @ 2008-12-24  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

El 24/12/2008, a las 0:33, Aditya Mahajan escribió:

> On Tue, 23 Dec 2008, Jerónimo Alaminos Prats wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been using the lucida fonts without problems for a long
>> time. They work like a charm with mactex 2007 but moving to the
>> 2008 version I've found that some math symbols are shuffled  or
>> simply do not appear in the pdf. For example, \midint compiles
>> correctly but do not appear in the pdf result.
>>
>> I have checked everything that  I can imagine but cannot find a
>> reason for this behaviour.
>
> This is because the math encoding files have not been completely
> extended to mkiv yet. We are in the process of adding encoding
> information for all unicode math symbols. \midintop is not a unicode
> character, and we need to figure out how to represent non-unicode
> characters in the private areas of unicode table. I do not know if
> there is a temporary workaround to make this work.

I'm using context mkii not mkiv. Here you can find the log

http://www.ugr.es/~alaminos/_Media/lucida-2008.log

Sorry if the message with the log appears twice. It seems that the log
file it's too large for an attachment  to the list. Thank you.

-------------------------------------
Jerónimo Alaminos Prats
Dpto. Análisis Matemático
Facultad de Ciencias
Universidad de Granada
Granada - 18071
alaminos@ugr.es

* Re: lucida and mactex 2008
@ 2008-12-24 15:59     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-12-24 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 24.12.2008 um 09:40 schrieb Jerónimo Alaminos Prats:

> El 24/12/2008, a las 0:33, Aditya Mahajan escribió:
>
>> On Tue, 23 Dec 2008, Jerónimo Alaminos Prats wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have been using the lucida fonts without problems for a long
>>> time. They work like a charm with mactex 2007 but moving to the
>>> 2008 version I've found that some math symbols are shuffled  or
>>> simply do not appear in the pdf. For example, \midint compiles
>>> correctly but do not appear in the pdf result.
>>>
>>> I have checked everything that  I can imagine but cannot find a
>>> reason for this behaviour.
>>
>> This is because the math encoding files have not been completely
>> extended to mkiv yet. We are in the process of adding encoding
>> information for all unicode math symbols. \midintop is not a
>> unicode character, and we need to figure out how to represent non-
>> unicode characters in the private areas of unicode table. I do not
>> know if there is a temporary workaround to make this work.
>
> I'm not using mkiv. It'sHere you have the log.

Give me a few days, there is something wrong with the typescripts
for math and ConTeXt use the wrong fonts to get the symbols.

Wolfgang

* Re: lucida and mactex 2008
@ 2009-01-08 17:49       ` Jerónimo Alaminos Prats
From: Jerónimo Alaminos Prats @ 2009-01-08 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

El 24/12/2008, a las 16:59, Wolfgang Schuster escribió:

> Am 24.12.2008 um 09:40 schrieb Jerónimo Alaminos Prats:

>>> This is because the math encoding files have not been completely
>>> extended to mkiv yet. We are in the process of adding encoding
>>> information for all unicode math symbols. \midintop is not a
>>> unicode character, and we need to figure out how to represent non-
>>> unicode characters in the private areas of unicode table. I do not
>>> know if there is a temporary workaround to make this work.
>>
>> I'm not using mkiv. It'sHere you have the log.
>
> Give me a few days, there is something wrong with the typescripts
> for math and ConTeXt use the wrong fonts to get the symbols.

Thank for the interest. In the meanwhile I've made some advances with
my  problem. The output of \showmathcharacters is ok if I add
\usemathcollection[lbr] but even with this there are fonts that do no
get loaded. For example

\usetypescript[lucida][texnansi]
\usetypescript[lucidabfm][texnansi]
\usetypescript[lucidaboldmath][texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[lucida,12pt]
\usemathcollection[lbr]

\starttext
  $\midint$
\stoptext

compiles ok but the midint is missing and the font lbme is not loaded.
You can see the log at

http://www.ugr.es/local/alaminos/_Media/midint.log

Strange enough, i can produce the symbol by showing the whole font
but, even in this case i do not obtain any result from $\midint$. The
log and the result of compiling

\usemodule[fnt-01]
\usetypescript[lucida][texnansi]
\usetypescript[lucidabfm][texnansi]
\usetypescript[lucidaboldmath][texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[lucida,10pt]
\usemathcollection[lbr]

\starttext
  $\midint$
\ShowFont[LucidaNewMath-Extension][lbme]
\stoptext

is this

http://www.ugr.es/local/alaminos/_Media/texnansi-bh-lucida.pdf

http://www.ugr.es/local/alaminos/_Media/texnansi-bh-lucida.log

Can any of you reproduce this behaviour with mactex 2008? Any ideas?
Thank you,
Jeronimo.

-------------------------------------
Jerónimo Alaminos Prats
Dpto. Análisis Matemático
Facultad de Ciencias
Universidad de Granada
Granada - 18071
alaminos@ugr.es

* Re: lucida and mactex 2008
@ 2009-01-09 17:34         ` Jerónimo Alaminos Prats
From: Jerónimo Alaminos Prats @ 2009-01-09 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Solved.  \enablemathcollection[lbr] does the trick. Thanks to everybody.

Jerónimo Alaminos Prats
Dpto. Análisis Matemático
Facultad de Ciencias
Universidad de Granada