Dear Hans and Wolfgang (et al), Unfortunately, I think I may have spoken too soon, as I've run into a small problem. :-) Using Wolfgang's suggestion of baselinecorrection: \startbaselinecorrection\setupinterlinespace[line=5ex] ... \stopbaselinecorrection I can no longer get footnotes which are in the Arabic paragraph to work. The footnote marker in the text shows up; but that particular footnote does not show at the bottom of the page, though a footnote from text outside of that paragraph do show, with their correct numbering. See attachments for an example. Kind regards, Talal