* \Asterisk
@ 2008-05-23 22:06 Jesse Alama
From: Jesse Alama @ 2008-05-23 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I was working on a document in which I wanted use a symbol that,
acording to the Comprehensive LaTeX Symbol List, goes by the name of
\Asterisk or \bigast (see p. 22).  I saw, though, that this seems to be
missing in ConTeXt.  Might it be tucked away in some module, or is it
just absent?  If it's really not there, what would it take to add it?

Thanks,

Jesse

PS Is there such a thing for ConTeXt as the Comprehensive Symbol List
for LaTex?

--
Jesse Alama (alama@stanford.edu)

* Re: \Asterisk
@ 2008-05-24  7:37 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-05-24  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesse Alama wrote:
> I was working on a document in which I wanted use a symbol that,
> acording to the Comprehensive LaTeX Symbol List, goes by the name of
> \Asterisk or \bigast (see p. 22).  I saw, though, that this seems to be
> missing in ConTeXt.  Might it be tucked away in some module, or is it
> just absent?  If it's really not there, what would it take to add it?

you can peek in the symb-* files; if it's math then maybe in the
math-ams file

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: \Asterisk
@ 2008-05-27 22:11 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-05-27 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 23 May 2008, Jesse Alama wrote:

> I was working on a document in which I wanted use a symbol that,
> acording to the Comprehensive LaTeX Symbol List, goes by the name of
> \Asterisk or \bigast (see p. 22).  I saw, though, that this seems to be
> missing in ConTeXt.  Might it be tucked away in some module, or is it
> just absent?  If it's really not there, what would it take to add it?

The latex symbol list says that these are from the mathabx font. AFAIK,
this font is not currently supported by ConTeXt. Adding support should be
doable, but I am not sure what is the best way to support it. I do
not know if this family is a complete replacement for CM (and LM) fonts,
or only some symbols are provided.

I am travelling right now, and I can play around with these fonts sometime
next week. The font claims to provide plain tex support, so it should be
usable out of the box. You can try

\input mathabx

$\Asterix$

and see if this works with plain tex and ConTeXt.

Only the metafont files are available, I do not know if someone
has created a type1 version.

> PS Is there such a thing for ConTeXt as the Comprehensive Symbol List
> for LaTex?

Not as organized as the Comprehensive Symbol List, but quite useful
nonetheless

\showmathcharacters

mkiv has another mechanism (s-???) whose name I do not remember at the
moment.

Aditya

* reading recomendations
@ 2008-05-28  0:02   ` Horacio Suarez
From: Horacio Suarez @ 2008-05-28  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all:

Maybe out of topic.

I need to learn to install fonts for context. I know there is a My way and other documents, but I don´t understand it.

I have successfully installed garamond following instructions, but I don´t know what i´m doing.

Maybe I have to understand Tex and the Tex tree structure first?

Thankyou in advance.

--------------------
Horacio Suarez
Editorial Antropofagia
www.eantropofagia.com.ar

* Re: reading recomendations
@ 2008-05-28  6:21     ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2008-05-28  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I found the article:

"Integrating TrueType Fonts into ConTEXt", by Thomas A. Schmitz (The
PracTEX Journal TPJ 2005 No 02)

most useful.

Cheers, Jörg

Horacio Suarez wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> Maybe out of topic.
>
> I need to learn to install fonts for context. I know there is a My way
> and other documents, but I don´t understand it.
>
> I have successfully installed garamond following instructions, but I
> don´t know what i´m doing.
>
> Maybe I have to understand Tex and the Tex tree structure first?
>
> Thankyou in advance.
>

> --------------------
> Horacio Suarez
> Editorial Antropofagia
> www.eantropofagia.com.ar

> Connect to the next generation of MSN Messenger  Get it now!
> <http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=wlmailtagline>

Prof. Jörg Hagmann-Zanolari MD
University of Basel
Department of Biomedicine
Institute of Biochemistry and Genetics
Mattenstrasse 28
CH-4058 Basel
Switzerland
Phone +41 (0)61 267 3565

* Re: \Asterisk
@ 2008-05-28  7:17   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-05-28  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 12:11 AM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 May 2008, Jesse Alama wrote:
>
>> I was working on a document in which I wanted use a symbol that,
>> acording to the Comprehensive LaTeX Symbol List, goes by the name of
>> \Asterisk or \bigast (see p. 22).  I saw, though, that this seems to be
>> missing in ConTeXt.  Might it be tucked away in some module, or is it
>> just absent?  If it's really not there, what would it take to add it?
>
> The latex symbol list says that these are from the mathabx font. AFAIK,
> this font is not currently supported by ConTeXt. Adding support should be
> doable, but I am not sure what is the best way to support it. I do
> not know if this family is a complete replacement for CM (and LM) fonts,
> or only some symbols are provided.
>
> I am travelling right now, and I can play around with these fonts sometime
> next week. The font claims to provide plain tex support, so it should be
> usable out of the box. You can try
>
> \input mathabx
>
> $\Asterix$

What is with Obelix?

> and see if this works with plain tex and ConTeXt.
>
> Only the metafont files are available, I do not know if someone
> has created a type1 version.

Why so complicated, * did also work with Latin Modern and the other fonts.

I prefer \definesymbol [asterisk] [\char"2A\relax] and \symbol{asterisk},
you're way is also possible but
\startencoding[default]
\definecharacter Asterisk \char"2A
\stopencoding
is also possible.

The unicode chart show a few more asterisk variatione in the dingbats section:
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2700.pdf

>> PS Is there such a thing for ConTeXt as the Comprehensive Symbol List
>> for LaTex?
>
> Not as organized as the Comprehensive Symbol List, but quite useful
> nonetheless
>
> \showmathcharacters
>
> mkiv has another mechanism (s-???) whose name I do not remember at the
> moment.

It makes sense to take first a look at the unicode charts if the character has
a representation in the list and choose a font (e.g. Unicode.otf) with
the symbol.

Wolfgang

* Re: \Asterisk
@ 2008-05-28  8:19     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-05-28  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 28 May 2008, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 12:11 AM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 May 2008, Jesse Alama wrote:
>>
>>> I was working on a document in which I wanted use a symbol that,
>>> acording to the Comprehensive LaTeX Symbol List, goes by the name of
>>> \Asterisk or \bigast (see p. 22).  I saw, though, that this seems to be
>>> missing in ConTeXt.  Might it be tucked away in some module, or is it
>>> just absent?  If it's really not there, what would it take to add it?
>>
>> The latex symbol list says that these are from the mathabx font. AFAIK,
>> this font is not currently supported by ConTeXt. Adding support should be
>> doable, but I am not sure what is the best way to support it. I do
>> not know if this family is a complete replacement for CM (and LM) fonts,
>> or only some symbols are provided.
>>
>> I am travelling right now, and I can play around with these fonts sometime
>> next week. The font claims to provide plain tex support, so it should be
>> usable out of the box. You can try
>>
>> \input mathabx
>>
>> $\Asterix$
>
> What is with Obelix?
>
>> and see if this works with plain tex and ConTeXt.
>>
>> Only the metafont files are available, I do not know if someone
>> has created a type1 version.
>
> Why so complicated, * did also work with Latin Modern and the other fonts.
>
> I prefer \definesymbol [asterisk] [\char"2A\relax] and \symbol{asterisk},
> you're way is also possible but
> \startencoding[default]
> \definecharacter Asterisk \char"2A
> \stopencoding
> is also possible.

Asterix is like a big asterix (similar to \bigstar vs \star, and \bigtimes
vs \times, maybe it shold be called \bigasterix)

> The unicode chart show a few more asterisk variatione in the dingbats section:
> http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2700.pdf

I will check that.

Aditya

* Re: \Asterisk
@ 2008-05-28  8:32       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-05-28  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2008, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>>> The latex symbol list says that these are from the mathabx font. AFAIK,
>>> this font is not currently supported by ConTeXt. Adding support should be
>>> doable, but I am not sure what is the best way to support it. I do
>>> not know if this family is a complete replacement for CM (and LM) fonts,
>>> or only some symbols are provided.
>>>
>>> I am travelling right now, and I can play around with these fonts sometime
>>> next week. The font claims to provide plain tex support, so it should be
>>> usable out of the box. You can try
>>>
>>> \input mathabx
>>>
>>> $\Asterix$
>>
>> What is with Obelix?
>>
>>> and see if this works with plain tex and ConTeXt.
>>>
>>> Only the metafont files are available, I do not know if someone
>>> has created a type1 version.
>>
>> Why so complicated, * did also work with Latin Modern and the other fonts.
>>
>> I prefer \definesymbol [asterisk] [\char"2A\relax] and \symbol{asterisk},
>> you're way is also possible but
>> \startencoding[default]
>> \definecharacter Asterisk \char"2A
>> \stopencoding
>> is also possible.
>
> Asterix is like a big asterix (similar to \bigstar vs \star, and \bigtimes
> vs \times, maybe it shold be called \bigasterix)

I found \asterisk and \Asterisk in the manual but no \Asterix.

>> The unicode chart show a few more asterisk variatione in the dingbats section:
>> http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2700.pdf
>
> I will check that.

The chart contains only dingbats symbols but there is also a mathematical
asterisk in the next chart.

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2200.pdf --> 2217

Wolfgang

* Re: \Asterisk
@ 2008-05-28 11:25         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-05-28 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 28 May 2008, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

>>> What is with Obelix?

>>> Why so complicated, * did also work with Latin Modern and the other fonts.
>>>
>>> I prefer \definesymbol [asterisk] [\char"2A\relax] and \symbol{asterisk},
>>> you're way is also possible but
>>> \startencoding[default]
>>> \definecharacter Asterisk \char"2A
>>> \stopencoding
>>> is also possible.
>>
>> Asterix is like a big asterix (similar to \bigstar vs \star, and \bigtimes
>> vs \times, maybe it shold be called \bigasterix)
>
> I found \asterisk and \Asterisk in the manual but no \Asterix.
>
>>> The unicode chart show a few more asterisk variatione in the dingbats section:
>>> http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2700.pdf
>>
>> I will check that.
>
> The chart contains only dingbats symbols but there is also a mathematical
> asterisk in the next chart.
>
> http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2200.pdf --> 2217

That looks like a normal asterisk to me. See \Asterisk on page 22 of
http://tug.ctan.org/cgi-bin/ctanPackageInformation.py?id=comprehensive

Aditya

* Re: reading recomendations
@ 2008-05-28 12:14       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-05-28 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Jörg Hagmann <joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch> wrote:
> Horacio Suarez wrote:
>> Hello all:
>>
>> Maybe out of topic.
>>
>> I need to learn to install fonts for context. I know there is a My way
>> and other documents, but I don´t understand it.
>>
>> I have successfully installed garamond following instructions, but I
>> don´t know what i´m doing.
>>
>> Maybe I have to understand Tex and the Tex tree structure first?
>>
>> Thankyou in advance.

> I found the article:
>
> "Integrating TrueType Fonts into ConTEXt", by Thomas A. Schmitz (The
> PracTEX Journal TPJ 2005 No 02)

A nice article, I read it myself to install my first fonts in ConTeXt
for pdfTeX, XeTeX and LuaTeX make the life easier but you should
have to tried to install a font with tfm and map files :-)

You should search in the list archives with the keyword typescript
and take a look at the following two links.

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Understanding_how_fonts_work_in_ConTeXt
http://watershade.net/wmcclain/context-help.html#newfont

Greetings
Wolfgang

* Re: reading recomendations
@ 2008-05-28 14:00         ` Horacio Suarez
From: Horacio Suarez @ 2008-05-28 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

thankyou very much.

--------------------
Horacio Suarez
Editorial Antropofagia
www.eantropofagia.com.ar

> Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 14:14:36 +0200
> From: schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com
> To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
> Subject: Re: [NTG-context] reading recomendations
>
> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Jörg Hagmann <joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch> wrote:
> > Horacio Suarez wrote:
> >> Hello all:
> >>
> >> Maybe out of topic.
> >>
> >> I need to learn to install fonts for context. I know there is a My way
> >> and other documents, but I don´t understand it.
> >>
> >> I have successfully installed garamond following instructions, but I
> >> don´t know what i´m doing.
> >>
> >> Maybe I have to understand Tex and the Tex tree structure first?
> >>
> >> Thankyou in advance.
>
> > I found the article:
> >
> > "Integrating TrueType Fonts into ConTEXt", by Thomas A. Schmitz (The
> > PracTEX Journal TPJ 2005 No 02)
>
> A nice article, I read it myself to install my first fonts in ConTeXt
> for pdfTeX, XeTeX and LuaTeX make the life easier but you should
> have to tried to install a font with tfm and map files :-)
>
> You should search in the list archives with the keyword typescript
> and take a look at the following two links.
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Understanding_how_fonts_work_in_ConTeXt
> http://watershade.net/wmcclain/context-help.html#newfont
>
> Greetings
> Wolfgang