* Smileys
@ 2011-08-16 19:46 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-08-16 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it possible to work with smileys in ConTeXt?

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: Smileys
@ 2011-08-16 20:23 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2011-08-16 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2011-08-16 um 21:46 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

> Is it possible to work with smileys in ConTeXt?

Why not?
But perhaps you could specifiy what you'd like to achieve.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Smileys
@ 2011-08-16 20:55   ` Cecil Westerhof
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-08-16 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/8/16 Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net>

> Is it possible to work with smileys in ConTeXt?
>>

> Why not?
> But perhaps you could specifiy what you'd like to achieve.

Instead of using something like ;-}, what looks nice, but is not the
highpoint of typography, I would like to use something like \smiley, \grin,
\cool, …

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: Smileys
@ 2011-08-16 21:21     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-08-16 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 16.08.2011 um 22:55 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

> 2011/8/16 Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net>
> Is it possible to work with smileys in ConTeXt?
>

> Why not?
> But perhaps you could specifiy what you'd like to achieve.
>
> Instead of using something like ;-}, what looks nice, but is not the highpoint of typography, I would like to use something like \smiley, \grin, \cool, …

You need a font with the symbol, there are also fonts available where you can use layers to use different colors for parts of the symbol.

- http://www.ffdingbatsfont.com/
- http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2011/057859.html

Apples new emoji font is also very interesting but you can’t use it with ConTeXt.

- http://typophile.com/node/83760
- http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/02/27/inside_mac_os_x_10_7_lion_font_book_3_emoji_support.html

Wolfgang

* Re: Smileys
@ 2011-08-17  6:21     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2011-08-17  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2011-08-16 um 22:55 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

> Instead of using something like ;-}, what looks nice, but is not the
> highpoint of typography, I would like to use something like \smiley,
> \grin, \cool, …

Why don’t you just define these commands yourself? You could include
pictures or use a smiley font or even something like {\tt :-)}

No, there's no module yet, if that was your question. You might
consider to opensource your definitions as a module.

@ 2011-08-17  7:12       ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2011-08-17  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Wolfgang,

> Apples new emoji font is also very interesting but you can’t use it with ConTeXt.

Why is that? Is this a ConTeXt or a LuaTeX limitation?

Patrick

* Re: Smileys
@ 2011-08-17  7:49       ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-08-17  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/8/16 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>

> Instead of using something like ;-}, what looks nice, but is not the
> highpoint of typography, I would like to use something like \smiley, \grin,
> \cool, …
>

> You need a font with the symbol, there are also fonts available where you
> can use layers to use different colors for parts of the symbol.
>
> - http://www.ffdingbatsfont.com/
> - http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2011/057859.html

I am still quite inexperienced with ConTeXt. I found the following document:
    http://statweb.calpoly.edu/jdoi/web/reference/symbols-a4.pdf

It is for LaTeX, but I can not find ConTeXt specific stuff. In table 188
there is a smiley. This brought me to to following:
\starttext

\usesymbols[wasy]

\symbol[was][smiley]

\symbol[was][qed]

\showsymbolset[general]
% \showsymbolset[music]
% \showsymbolset[astronomy]
% \showsymbolset[astrology]
% \showsymbolset[geometry]
% \showsymbolset[physics]
% \showsymbolset[apl]

\stoptext

The smiley does not display, instead I get the text smiley. Also it is not
shown with the \showsymbolset. Why?

Is there any documentation about how to work –for example– with the dingbats
font. At the moment I am just feeling like shooting in the dark. :-{
When knowing how to do it, I could try to make a smiley module. ;-}

By the way: do I understand correctly that with \showsymbolset the second
column shows how the character is displayed and the third columns shows the
used space for the character?

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: Smileys
@ 2011-08-17  8:09         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-08-17  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 9:49 AM, Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am still quite inexperienced with ConTeXt. I found the following document:
>     http://statweb.calpoly.edu/jdoi/web/reference/symbols-a4.pdf
>
> It is for LaTeX, but I can not find ConTeXt specific stuff. In table 188
> there is a smiley. This brought me to to following:
> \starttext
>
> \usesymbols[wasy]
>
> \symbol[was][smiley]
>
> \symbol[was][qed]
>
> \showsymbolset[general]
> % \showsymbolset[music]
> % \showsymbolset[astronomy]
> % \showsymbolset[astrology]
> % \showsymbolset[geometry]
> % \showsymbolset[physics]
> % \showsymbolset[apl]
>
> \stoptext
>

> The smiley does not display, instead I get the text smiley. Also it is not
> shown with the \showsymbolset. Why?
>
> Is there any documentation about how to work –for example– with the dingbats
> font. At the moment I am just feeling like shooting in the dark. :-{
> When knowing how to do it, I could try to make a smiley module. ;-}
you can try Symbola
http://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/
--
luigi

* Re: Smileys
@ 2011-08-17 11:14     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-08-17 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 22:55, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> 2011/8/16 Henning Hraban Ramm wrote
>>>
>>> Is it possible to work with smileys in ConTeXt?
>
> Instead of using something like ;-}, what looks nice, but is not the
> highpoint of typography, I would like to use something like \smiley, \grin,
> \cool, …

My suggestion would be to find a set of PNG (or other) images that you
like, put them all into some subfolder and then define a list in the
spirit of:
    \def\smiley{\externalfigure[img/smilies/smiley.png][height=\lineheight]}

Of course you can also use fonts (even marvosym), but they will only
show ugly black-and-white strokes which is probably not what you want.
Well, you can of course colour them, but it will still be plain
single-colour vector image. If you want your documents to look nice,
you should fetch nice images from somewhere.

(If you want auto-replacement to work, you need a few more hacks, but
I would personally not like smilies to be inserted automatically.)

Mojca

* Re: Smileys
@ 2011-08-17 11:25       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-08-17 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 17.08.2011 um 13:14 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:

> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 22:55, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>> 2011/8/16 Henning Hraban Ramm wrote

>> Instead of using something like ;-}, what looks nice, but is not the
>> highpoint of typography, I would like to use something like \smiley, \grin,
>> \cool, …
>
> My suggestion would be to find a set of PNG (or other) images that you
> like, put them all into some subfolder and then define a list in the
> spirit of:
>    \def\smiley{\externalfigure[img/smilies/smiley.png][height=\lineheight]}
>
> Of course you can also use fonts (even marvosym), but they will only
> show ugly black-and-white strokes which is probably not what you want.
> Well, you can of course colour them, but it will still be plain
> single-colour vector image. If you want your documents to look nice,
> you should fetch nice images from somewhere.

You can also use color when you have a font with different layers: http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2011/057859.html

Wolfgang

* Re: Smileys
@ 2011-08-17 11:26       ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-08-17 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/8/17 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>

> > Instead of using something like ;-}, what looks nice, but is not the
> > highpoint of typography, I would like to use something like \smiley,
> \grin,
> > \cool, …
>
> My suggestion would be to find a set of PNG (or other) images that you
> like, put them all into some subfolder and then define a list in the
> spirit of:
>    \def\smiley{\externalfigure[img/smilies/smiley.png][height=\lineheight]}
>
> Of course you can also use fonts (even marvosym), but they will only
> show ugly black-and-white strokes which is probably not what you want.

At least originally was it what I wanted. Because when you use fonts they
scale to the fontsize you are using. So I would think that looks the best.
But you make a good point.

(If you want auto-replacement to work, you need a few more hacks, but
> I would personally not like smilies to be inserted automatically.)

Neither do I. ;-}

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: Smileys
@ 2011-08-17 12:27         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-08-17 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 13:26, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> 2011/8/17 Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>>  \def\smiley{\externalfigure[img/smilies/smiley.png][height=\lineheight]}
>>
>> Of course you can also use fonts (even marvosym), but they will only
>> show ugly black-and-white strokes which is probably not what you want.
>
> At least originally was it what I wanted. Because when you use fonts they
> scale to the fontsize you are using. So I would think that looks the best.
> But you make a good point.

If you need help with setting up some particular font, feel free to ask.

But you should be able to get automatic scaling of png images based on
line height. If images come in different sizes, you need a bit more
trickery, but it is doable. Just ask again once you find the suitable
images.

Mojca

* Re: Smileys
@ 2011-08-17 14:02           ` Jaroslav Hajtmar
From: Jaroslav Hajtmar @ 2011-08-17 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello Cecil ...
Here is my simple tip. All you need is a font set, which are needed
emoticons ...

\def\numcharacter#1{\char#1{}}
\let\dochar\numcharacter

\definefont[wingding][wingding.ttf at 12pt]

\starttext

{\wingding \dochar{74}\dochar{75}\dochar{76}}

\stoptext

With greeting Jaroslav Hajtmar

Dne 17.8.2011 14:27, Mojca Miklavec napsal(a):
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 13:26, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>
>> 2011/8/17 Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>>>   \def\smiley{\externalfigure[img/smilies/smiley.png][height=\lineheight]}
>>>
>>> Of course you can also use fonts (even marvosym), but they will only
>>> show ugly black-and-white strokes which is probably not what you want.
>>>
>> At least originally was it what I wanted. Because when you use fonts they
>> scale to the fontsize you are using. So I would think that looks the best.
>> But you make a good point.
>>
> If you need help with setting up some particular font, feel free to ask.
>
> But you should be able to get automatic scaling of png images based on
> line height. If images come in different sizes, you need a bit more
> trickery, but it is doable. Just ask again once you find the suitable
> images.
>
> Mojca

* Re: Smileys
@ 2011-08-17 14:20             ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-08-17 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/8/17 Jaroslav Hajtmar <hajtmar@gyza.cz>

> Hello Cecil ...
> Here is my simple tip. All you need is a font set, which are needed
> emoticons ...
>

> \def\numcharacter#1{\char#1{}}
> \let\dochar\numcharacter
>
> \definefont[wingding][**wingding.ttf at 12pt]
>
> \starttext
>
> {\wingding \dochar{74}\dochar{75}\dochar{**76}}
>
> \stoptext

That just gives JKL.

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: Smileys
@ 2011-08-17 21:57               ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-08-17 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 17.08.2011 um 16:20 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

> 2011/8/17 Jaroslav Hajtmar <hajtmar@gyza.cz>
> Hello Cecil ...
> Here is my simple tip. All you need is a font set, which are needed emoticons ...
>

> \def\numcharacter#1{\char#1{}}
> \let\dochar\numcharacter
>
> \definefont[wingding][wingding.ttf at 12pt]
>
> \starttext
>
> {\wingding \dochar{74}\dochar{75}\dochar{76}}
>
> \stoptext
>
> That just gives JKL.

The filename of the font is “windings.ttf”.

Wolfgang

* Re: Smileys
@ 2011-08-18  7:40                 ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-08-18  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/8/17 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>

> The filename of the font is “windings.ttf”.

I now have:
\def\numcharacter#1{\char#1{}}
\let\dochar\numcharacter

\definefont[wingding][windings.ttf at 12pt]

\starttext

windings: {\wingding \dochar{74}\dochar{75}\dochar{76}}

\stoptext

But it just gives:
windings: JKL

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: Smileys
@ 2011-08-18  8:01                   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-08-18  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 18.08.2011 um 09:40 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

> 2011/8/17 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>
> The filename of the font is “windings.ttf”.
>
> I now have:
> […]
>
> But it just gives:
> windings: JKL

It’s “wingdings” with a “g” in the name!

\definefontsynonym[Wingdings][file:wingdings]

\def\WingdingsSymbol{\getglyphdirect{Wingdings}}

\definesymbol[smiley:1][\WingdingsSymbol{74}]
\definesymbol[smiley:2][\WingdingsSymbol{75}]
\definesymbol[smiley:3][\WingdingsSymbol{76}]

\starttext
\symbol[smiley:1] \symbol[smiley:2] \symbol[smiley:3]
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Smileys
@ 2011-08-18  8:53                     ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-08-18  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/8/18 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>

> It’s “wingdings” with a “g” in the name!
> \definefontsynonym[Wingdings][file:wingdings]
>
> \def\WingdingsSymbol{\getglyphdirect{Wingdings}}
>
> \definesymbol[smiley:1][\WingdingsSymbol{74}]
> \definesymbol[smiley:2][\WingdingsSymbol{75}]
> \definesymbol[smiley:3][\WingdingsSymbol{76}]
>
> \starttext
> \symbol[smiley:1] \symbol[smiley:2] \symbol[smiley:3]
> \stoptext

It is still the same. I know used context instead of my script. (Normally I
compile with a script, because I do not like all the output. When there is
an error I show the last part of the output.) I saw:
    fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'wingdings' is not
found using lookup 'file'
    fonts           > defining > unknown font wingdings, loading aborted
    fonts           > defining > unable to define wingdings as
\**currentsymbolfont**

So properly I need to install the font.

Would it not be better to have at least the option that not finding a font
is an error?

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: Smileys
@ 2011-08-18 20:19                 ` Jaroslav Hajtmar
From: Jaroslav Hajtmar @ 2011-08-18 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello ...
I note that I am using Windows 7.
I looked into the directory c:\windows\fonts and there are files with
names wingding.ttf, WINGDNG2.TTF and WINGDNG3.TTF.
I think that these fonts are a standard part of Windows or even MS Office
File wingdings.ttf I do not see there ...

Jaroslav Hajtmar

Dne 17.8.2011 23:57, Wolfgang Schuster napsal(a):

> Am 17.08.2011 um 16:20 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:
>
>> 2011/8/17 Jaroslav Hajtmar <hajtmar@gyza.cz <mailto:hajtmar@gyza.cz>>
>>
>>     Hello Cecil ...
>>     Here is my simple tip. All you need is a font set, which are
>>     needed emoticons ...
>>

>>     \def\numcharacter#1{\char#1{}}
>>     \let\dochar\numcharacter
>>
>>     \definefont[wingding][wingding.ttf at 12pt]
>>
>>     \starttext
>>
>>     {\wingding \dochar{74}\dochar{75}\dochar{76}}
>>
>>     \stoptext
>>

>> That just gives JKL.
>
> The filename of the font is “windings.ttf”.
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: Smileys
@ 2011-08-18 20:53                   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-08-18 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 18.08.2011 um 22:19 schrieb Jaroslav Hajtmar:

> Hello ...
> I note that I am using Windows 7.
> I looked into the directory c:\windows\fonts and there are files with names wingding.ttf, WINGDNG2.TTF and WINGDNG3.TTF.
> I think that these fonts are a standard part of Windows or even MS Office
> File wingdings.ttf I do not see there …

I have two versions of the font on my system, one came with Mac OS and the other with MS Office and each has “Wingdings.ttf” as filename.

I have also the other two fonts you mentioned but their filenames on my system are “Wingdings 2.ttf” and “Wingdings 3.ttf”. As you can see on Windows each mentioned font use only 8 letters.

Wolfgang