Hi Thomas and Hans, On OS X I experience the same thing, even after adding a \doothing as hans suggests (well, this indeed does… nothing… :-) ). A strange behaviour I notice also with mkii is that it creates a dvi file: Output written on basic-test.dvi (1 page, 1132 bytes). Transcript written on basic-test.log. As a matter of fact opening this dvi file with another application, one sees the correct output, but no PDF is created with mkii. Please see below the minimal example and the dvi file. Best regards: OK PS: The minimal example I tested is: %%% begin basic.test.tex \starttext \chapter{Testing a chapter\footnote{Actually for testing footnotes in a chapter header\dots}} This file has been typeset on \currentdate{} at \currenttime, with \doifmodeelse{mkiv} {mkiv, LuaTeX version \the\luatexversion, LuaTeX revision \luatexrevision, (LuaTeX date stamp \luatexdatestamp), using the command: \crlf \type{context basic-test.tex}\crlf} {mkii, using the command: \crlf \type{texexec basic-test.tex} \crlf} ConTeXt version \contextversion. \stoptext %%% end basic-test.tex And the dvi produced is: