From: "Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de>
Subject: Re: Installing Truetype fonts in context.
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 21:28:18 +0200	[thread overview]

On Jun 4, 2005, at 4:21 PM, John R. Culleton wrote:

> --Like a good little TeXer I have always avoided Truetype fonts.
> But now I have a situation where the customer is requesting it,
> and has provided the font. So I have tried to follow the
> instructinns in the pdftex manual as well as those in Texfont
> Explained manual. First I  got apparently clean results but the font
> looks just like Computer Modern.  The only error message I can
> see is one asking for a pfb file which of course I don't have.
>
> Then following an earlier post I tried something like this. The font
> is a Devangari font, or perhaps more properly a Western font that
> looks a bit like Devnagari script. Here is my run script:

> ttf2afm -e 8r.enc -o ds_izmir.afm ds_izmir.ttf
> texfont --en=8r --ve=truetype --co=all --makepath --install
> cd /usr/share/texmf-local/fonts/map/pdftex/context/
> cat *map >plus.map
> mv plus.map /usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap
> updmap
> texhash
> With this run stream texfont has two complaints: first that it is
> an unknown
> vendor and
> second that it cannot find either a pfa or pfb file.
>
> There is a trick to it I am sure, and I am sure I do not know the
> trick.
>

> John Culleton
> The answers to all your publishing questions are found
> in the excellent books listed in the word-famous shortlist!
> http://wexfordpress.com/tex/shortlist.pdf

This: http://tug.org/pracjourn/2005-2/schmitz/schmitz.pdf
might have a lot of information that is too basic for you, but it
just might hold some useful bits and pieces. In your case, the key is
that you created a afm. If texfont "sees" a afm, it expects the font
to be a pfb. The tfm it creates is valid nevertheless, you just have
to adjust the map accordingly. But if you follow the advice in the
article above, things should be easier.

Good luck

Thomas