From: Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: Multiple letters
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 15:01:46 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 10.05.2009 um 14:32 schrieb Otared Kavian:

> Hi all,
>
> I have to write a letter to a few dozens candidates in which some
> parts are not identical. I may have the list of the persons, and the
> changing part for each of them in a file (named for instance "list-
> of-candidates.tex") on which each line corresponds to one person and
> the fields are sperated by commas (or any other suitable character).
> What would be the best way of coding this in ConTeXt?
>
> Here is the example I have in mind:
>
> %%% begin the body of the letter
>
> Dear \MmeOrSir\ \FirstName\ \FamilyName,
>
> We have received your application and we thank you for your interest
> in our institution.
> \AnswerToApplication.
>
> With our best regards, etc…
>
> %%% end the body of the letter
>
> The four commands \MmeOrSir, \FirstName, \FamilyName,
> \AnswerToApplication should correspond to the columns 1 through 4 of
> each line of the file
> "list-of-candidates.tex" as follows:
>
> %%% begin list-of-candidates.tex
> Madam  , Joan , of Arc , {You will be interviewed very soon}
> Mr , Groucho , Marx , {We are sorry, but this position is only for
> non smoking candidates}
>
> \endinput
> %%% end list-of-candidates.tex
>
> Thank you for help: OK

\unprotect

\definemessageconstant {filecontents}

\startmessages all library: filecontents
         title: filecontents
             1: Overwriting file --
             2: Writing file --
\stopmessages

\def\startfilecontents
   {\begingroup
    \protectbuffersfalse
    \dostartfilecontents}

\def\dostartfilecontents[#1]%
   {\doiffileexistselse{#1}
      {\showmessage\m!filecontents{1}{#1}}
      {\showmessage\m!filecontents{2}{#1}}%
    \beforesplitstring#1\at.\to\filename
    \aftersplitstring #1\at.\to\extension
    \let\f!temporaryextension\extension
    \dostartbuffer[\filename][startfilecontents][stopfilecontents]}

\def\stopfilecontents
   {\doifmode{mkiv}{\savebuffer[\filename]\ctxlua{file.copy("\jobname-
\filename.tmp","\filename.\f!temporaryextension")}}%
    \endgroup}

\ifx\savebuffer\undefined \def\savebuffer[#1]
{\ctxlua{buffers.save("#1")}} \fi

\protect

\startfilecontents[data.dat]
Madam, Joan, of Arc, {You will be interviewed very soon}
Mr, Groucho, Marx, {We are sorry, but this position is only for non
smoking candidates}
\stopfilecontents

\usemodule[database,letter]

\define[4]\createletter
   {\startletter[opening={Dear #1 #2 #3,}]
    We have received your application and we thank you for your
interest in our institution.\endgraf
    \stopletter}

\defineseparatedlist
   [LETTER]