* first steps with XeTeX
@ 2008-04-05 21:36 Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-04-05 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt ML

Since I need to typeset some names with characters outside of ec
encoding, I'm just checking out XeTeX.

- first threshold:
If you have \setupoutput[pdftex] in cont-sys.tex, it doesn't work. ;-)
(Complains "you should use pdftex binaries".)

- second threshold:
Adapt your typescripts. Since I use TeX Gyre anyway, that was no
problem. (Is there still no complete type-gyr.tex in the
distribution? I couldn't find it.)

- third threshold (standing there):
XeTeX can't read tagged PDFs. For I typeset proceedings, I must
include a lot of pages from presentation PDFs. And even if I'd call
myself a PDF professional, I didn't find a way to delete all tags
from a PDF.
I could convert everything to EPS or even render the pages in
Photoshop. But I'd prefer to stay with the PDFs.
Any ideas?

Tomorrow I'll try to use an additional PostScript font - is that even
possible? Otherwise I must convert it to OpenType.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: first steps with XeTeX
@ 2008-04-05 21:58 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2008-04-05 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 15:36:23 -0600, Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net>
wrote:

> Since I need to typeset some names with characters outside of ec
> encoding, I'm just checking out XeTeX.

why not luatex?

Best
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: first steps with XeTeX
@ 2008-04-06  2:35 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-04-06  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 11:36 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Since I need to typeset some names with characters outside of ec
>  encoding, I'm just checking out XeTeX.
>
>  - first threshold:
>  If you have \setupoutput[pdftex] in cont-sys.tex, it doesn't work. ;-)
>  (Complains "you should use pdftex binaries".)

Since texmfstart era, pdf is the default output format anyway, so you
really need to try hard to produce dvi. Simply remove
\setupoutput[pdftex] (why do you need it there?)

>  - second threshold:
>  Adapt your typescripts. Since I use TeX Gyre anyway, that was no
>  problem. (Is there still no complete type-gyr.tex in the
>  distribution? I couldn't find it.)

TeX Gyre typescripts are loaded by default when you use XeTeX or
LuaTeX. See type-otf.tex

>  - third threshold (standing there):
>  XeTeX can't read tagged PDFs. For I typeset proceedings, I must
>  include a lot of pages from presentation PDFs. And even if I'd call
>  myself a PDF professional, I didn't find a way to delete all tags
>  from a PDF.

Did you try to convert the PDF to 1.4 (with Adobe Professional for example)?
Else you need to ask on the XeTeX mailing list. (But indeed: why not
trying out LuaTeX?)

>  Tomorrow I'll try to use an additional PostScript font - is that even
>  possible? Otherwise I must convert it to OpenType.

It is, but which OS and what kind of PostScript font are you using?
Mac type of PostScript fonts doesn't work (or better: it only works
with xdv2pdf, which isn't supported in ConTeXt any more). You can use
the "windows type" Type1 fonts (i.e. just the normal .pfb files). That
should work on any system, but on Mac you need to reference it by
filename. Font name won't work.

Mojca

* Re: first steps with XeTeX
@ 2008-04-06  9:45   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-04-06  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-04-05 um 23:58 schrieb Idris Samawi Hamid:

>> Since I need to typeset some names with characters outside of ec
>> encoding, I'm just checking out XeTeX.
>
> why not luatex?

Because I don't like to recompile my binaries all the time.

@ 2008-04-06  9:59   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-04-06  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-04-06 um 04:35 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
> On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 11:36 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>> Since I need to typeset some names with characters outside of ec
>>  encoding, I'm just checking out XeTeX.
>>
>>  - first threshold:
>>  If you have \setupoutput[pdftex] in cont-sys.tex, it doesn't
>> work. ;-)
>>  (Complains "you should use pdftex binaries".)
>
> Since texmfstart era, pdf is the default output format anyway, so you
> really need to try hard to produce dvi. Simply remove
> \setupoutput[pdftex] (why do you need it there?)

Seems I don't need it - I just don't change my cont-sys.tex as long
as I don't run into trouble.
Since I use ConTeXt since 1999 now, there may be some unneeded
settings. ;-)
But in that days (at least before XeTeX/luaTeX) it wasn't so easy to
find a working configuration.

>>  - second threshold:
>>  Adapt your typescripts. Since I use TeX Gyre anyway, that was no
>>  problem. (Is there still no complete type-gyr.tex in the
>>  distribution? I couldn't find it.)
>
> TeX Gyre typescripts are loaded by default when you use XeTeX or
> LuaTeX. See type-otf.tex
>
>>  - third threshold (standing there):
>>  XeTeX can't read tagged PDFs. For I typeset proceedings, I must
>>  include a lot of pages from presentation PDFs. And even if I'd call
>>  myself a PDF professional, I didn't find a way to delete all tags
>>  from a PDF.
>
> Did you try to convert the PDF to 1.4 (with Adobe Professional for
> example)?

Yes, even 1.3. Tried optimizing (that *should* delete all unnecessary
cruft).
It seems possible to delete tags with one of the TouchUp tools, but
the PDF stays "tagged" anyway.

> Else you need to ask on the XeTeX mailing list. (But indeed: why not
> trying out LuaTeX?)

I'm too lazy to recompile my binaries all the time; my old Mac is
rather slow...

>>  Tomorrow I'll try to use an additional PostScript font - is that
>> even
>>  possible? Otherwise I must convert it to OpenType.
>
> It is, but which OS and what kind of PostScript font are you using?
> Mac type of PostScript fonts doesn't work (or better: it only works
> with xdv2pdf, which isn't supported in ConTeXt any more). You can use
> the "windows type" Type1 fonts (i.e. just the normal .pfb files). That
> should work on any system, but on Mac you need to reference it by
> filename. Font name won't work.

Ok, thanks.
I guess I could have found out on my own, but was too tired yesterday...
I knew that resource fork fonts don't work.
But I installed all necessary fonts for pdfTeX anyway.
Lots of them, back in 2004/2005, see my typescripts collection:
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/?menu=0-1-4&lang=en

BTW: I'd love to come to the gathering in Slovenija, but I must
typeset my main project (a monthly city magazine) at that time.

@ 2008-04-06 12:24     ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2008-04-06 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/4/6, Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net>:
> Am 2008-04-05 um 23:58 schrieb Idris Samawi Hamid:
>  > why not luatex?
>
> Because I don't like to recompile my binaries all the time.

So use debian. :-) Norbert provides up-to-date luatex packages.

Best
   Martin

* Re: first steps with XeTeX
@ 2008-04-06 12:39       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-04-06 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-04-06 um 14:24 schrieb Martin Schröder:
>>> why not luatex?
>> Because I don't like to recompile my binaries all the time.
> So use debian. :-) Norbert provides up-to-date luatex packages.

Debian installs not so good on a PPC Mac and doesn't run my expensive
Adobe apps ;-)
(And I doubt if Norbert provides Linux PPC binaries...)

@ 2008-04-06 13:28         ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-04-06 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 6, 2008, at 2:39 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Debian installs not so good on a PPC Mac and doesn't run my expensive
> Adobe apps ;-)
> (And I doubt if Norbert provides Linux PPC binaries...)

Debian installs very well on a PPC mac, and Norbert provides PPC
binaries (which I compiled for him).

Thomas

* Re: OT: discOSsion (was: first steps with XeTeX)
@ 2008-04-06 15:45           ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-04-06 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-04-06 um 15:28 schrieb Thomas A. Schmitz:

>> Debian installs not so good on a PPC Mac and doesn't run my expensive
>> Adobe apps ;-)
>> (And I doubt if Norbert provides Linux PPC binaries...)
>
> Debian installs very well on a PPC mac, and Norbert provides PPC
> binaries (which I compiled for him).

Okay, then I'll stay on OSX without any good reason.

My previous Mac was dual-boot OS8/9 and Linux (otherwise I wouldn't
have been able to use ConTeXt in 1999, it didn't work with OzTeX or
CMacTeX), at last with Mac-on-Linux, but I'm glad I got a decent Unix
with a good GUI without the need to switch anything ;-)
Maybe I'll try Linux with Bootcamp with my next one (somewhen this
summer).

May it be possible we got a bit off-topic here?

@ 2008-04-06 20:24     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-04-06 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2008-04-05 um 23:58 schrieb Idris Samawi Hamid:
>

>  >> Since I need to typeset some names with characters outside of ec
>  >> encoding, I'm just checking out XeTeX.
>  >
>  > why not luatex?
>
>  Because I don't like to recompile my binaries all the time.

You have them on http://minimals.contextgarden.net/current/bin/luatex/ as well.

Mojca

* Re: first steps with XeTeX
@ 2008-04-06 22:53     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-04-06 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  > Else you need to ask on the XeTeX mailing list. (But indeed: why not
>  > trying out LuaTeX?)
>
>  I'm too lazy to recompile my binaries all the time; my old Mac is
>  rather slow...

That's why the "minimal distribution" (minimals.contextgarden.net) has
been created. A single command should update everything.

>  >>  Tomorrow I'll try to use an additional PostScript font - is that
>  >> even
>  >>  possible? Otherwise I must convert it to OpenType.
>  >
>  > It is, but which OS and what kind of PostScript font are you using?
>  > Mac type of PostScript fonts doesn't work (or better: it only works
>  > with xdv2pdf, which isn't supported in ConTeXt any more). You can use
>  > the "windows type" Type1 fonts (i.e. just the normal .pfb files). That
>  > should work on any system, but on Mac you need to reference it by
>  > filename. Font name won't work.
>
>  Ok, thanks.
>  I guess I could have found out on my own, but was too tired yesterday...
>  I knew that resource fork fonts don't work.

Conditionally they do, but there are too many problems - it really
doesn't pay out to try to use them.

>  But I installed all necessary fonts for pdfTeX anyway.
>  Lots of them, back in 2004/2005, see my typescripts collection:
>  http://www.fiee.net/texnique/?menu=0-1-4&lang=en

Those should work, I guess. Not when called by name, but calling them
by filename should be no problem.

>  BTW: I'd love to come to the gathering in Slovenija, but I must
>  typeset my main project (a monthly city magazine) at that time.

But that's a remote job, right? ;-)
(We will have internet connection there :)

Besides that - BachoTeX might be interesting to visit as well.

Mojca

* Re: first steps with XeTeX
@ 2008-04-07 18:33       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-04-07 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-04-07 um 00:53 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>>> Else you need to ask on the XeTeX mailing list. (But indeed: why not
>>> trying out LuaTeX?)
>>  I'm too lazy to recompile my binaries all the time; my old Mac is
>>  rather slow...
> That's why the "minimal distribution" (minimals.contextgarden.net) has
> been created. A single command should update everything.

ok, ok, I'll try luaTeX. But not just now.

>>  But I installed all necessary fonts for pdfTeX anyway.
>>  Lots of them, back in 2004/2005, see my typescripts collection:
>>  http://www.fiee.net/texnique/?menu=0-1-4&lang=en
> Those should work, I guess. Not when called by name, but calling them
> by filename should be no problem.

Yes, seems to work. (see other thread)
I guess I'll re-publish my typescripts as soon as I'm actively using
luaTeX - and as soon as I relaunch my website on Django (planning
that for some months now...)

>>  BTW: I'd love to come to the gathering in Slovenija, but I must
>>  typeset my main project (a monthly city magazine) at that time.
> But that's a remote job, right? ;-)
> (We will have internet connection there :)

Unfortunately I can't do it on my own, need help from two colleagues
to do it in time. Besides working full-time on that myself. And
sending tons of images back and forth through any internet connection
is no fun.

> Besides that - BachoTeX might be interesting to visit as well.

Of course. And PostNuke meeting, Django sprint, PyCon, DANTE, EUU
Retreats, some courses & festivals and a lot more that I can't join
this year... Only visiting DRUPA (printing fair).

@ 2008-04-08 21:57         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2008-04-08 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  I guess I'll re-publish my typescripts as soon as I'm actively using
>  luaTeX - and as soon as I relaunch my website on Django (planning
>  that for some months now...)
What about Plone ?

>  this year... Only visiting DRUPA (printing fair).
Maybe I will there too.
Let's stay in tune.

--
luigi
it's new .

* Re: first steps with XeTeX
@ 2008-04-09  7:03           ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-04-09  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/4/8, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com>:
> >  I guess I'll re-publish my typescripts as soon as I'm actively using
>  >  luaTeX - and as soon as I relaunch my website on Django (planning
>  >  that for some months now...)
> What about Plone ?

I only need a lean framework, not an excessive application server.

>  >  this year... Only visiting DRUPA (printing fair).
> Maybe I will there too.
>  Let's stay in tune.

Probably I'll go 6.-8. june, i.e. most of our printshop team will go
together with campers...

Further OT discussion better off-list...

Greetlings, Hraban