* hyphenatedurl (WHY?)
@ 2008-07-11 19:59 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2008-07-11 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

God bless the command \hyphenatedurl{...} !

Only, I am wondering why it starts a new line not *after* but *before*
the slash, dot or whatever there is to structure a long url.
Is this an english/dutch convention, completely different than
paragraph wrapping? Or is it common usus, just me never noticed it
outside ConTeXt??

Steffen

* Re: hyphenatedurl (WHY?)
@ 2008-07-11 20:17 ` Jesse Alama
From: Jesse Alama @ 2008-07-11 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum <context@st.estfiles.de> writes:

> God bless the command \hyphenatedurl{...} !
>
> Only, I am wondering why it starts a new line not *after* but *before*
> the slash, dot or whatever there is to structure a long url.
> Is this an english/dutch convention, completely different than
> paragraph wrapping? Or is it common usus, just me never noticed it
> outside ConTeXt??

I can't speak for Dutch conventions, but here are some rules concerning
URL's according to the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition:

  "Where it is necessary to break a URL or an e-mail address, no hyphens
  should be used.  The break should be made between elements, after a
  colon, a slash, a double slash, or the symbol @ but before a period or
  any other punctuation or symbols.  To avoid confusion, a URL that
  contains a hyphen should never be broken at the hyphen.  If a
  particularly long element must be broken to avoid a seriously loose
  line, it should be broken between syllables according to the
  guidelines offered above." (7.44, p. 298)

There's another section of the book (17.11) where they say the same
thing, and give examples:

  http://press-pubs.uchicago
.edu/founders/

  http://www.uiowa.edu/
~vpr/research/organize/humalink.htm

  http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/b.cgi
?artid=19161

  http://www.internetnews.com/ec
-news/article/0,,4_353451.html

Does anyone have any other references handy that could adjudicate on the
matter?  Perhaps this varies from language to language (or even country
to country), though I would be surprised if it varied all that much,
since URL's are a fairly new typographical entity.

Jesse

--
Jesse Alama (alama@stanford.edu)

* Re: hyphenatedurl (WHY?)
@ 2008-07-11 21:43 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-11 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> God bless the command \hyphenatedurl{...} !
>
> Only, I am wondering why it starts a new line not *after* but *before*
> the slash, dot or whatever there is to structure a long url.
> Is this an english/dutch convention, completely different than

i just took what i liked (i.e. found less confusing); since i hate long
url's (one reason why one can have clickable ones with alternative
rendering) i don't care to much either .. anything looks bad in running
text -)

> paragraph wrapping? Or is it common usus, just me never noticed it
> outside ConTeXt??

in mkiv you can set up your own preferences with

\sethyphenatedurlnormal
\sethyphenatedurlbefore
\sethyphenatedurlafter

and in mkii you can play with

\chardef\urlsplitmode = 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: hyphenatedurl (WHY?)
@ 2008-07-11 21:46   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-11 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesse Alama wrote:
> Steffen Wolfrum <context@st.estfiles.de> writes:
>
>> God bless the command \hyphenatedurl{...} !
>>
>> Only, I am wondering why it starts a new line not *after* but *before*
>> the slash, dot or whatever there is to structure a long url.
>> Is this an english/dutch convention, completely different than
>> paragraph wrapping? Or is it common usus, just me never noticed it
>> outside ConTeXt??
>
> I can't speak for Dutch conventions, but here are some rules concerning
> URL's according to the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition:
>
>   "Where it is necessary to break a URL or an e-mail address, no hyphens
>   should be used.  The break should be made between elements, after a
>   colon, a slash, a double slash, or the symbol @ but before a period or
>   any other punctuation or symbols.  To avoid confusion, a URL that
>   contains a hyphen should never be broken at the hyphen.  If a
>   particularly long element must be broken to avoid a seriously loose
>   line, it should be broken between syllables according to the
>   guidelines offered above." (7.44, p. 298)

the hyphen is a funny rule ... if an url is not to be hyphenated but
just broken, than a hyphen is just a hyphen (anyway, context will not
add a hyphen)

> to country), though I would be surprised if it varied all that much,
> since URL's are a fairly new typographical entity.

just in case one didn't notice ... acrobat interprets the text stream
and makes url's active (unless this is disabled)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: hyphenatedurl (WHY?)
@ 2008-07-11 22:50   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-07-11 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> God bless the command \hyphenatedurl{...} !
>>
>> Only, I am wondering why it starts a new line not *after* but *before*
>> the slash, dot or whatever there is to structure a long url.
>> Is this an english/dutch convention, completely different than
>
> i just took what i liked (i.e. found less confusing); since i hate long
> url's (one reason why one can have clickable ones with alternative
> rendering) i don't care to much either .. anything looks bad in running
> text -)

Sometimes, you need to refer to long URLs in bibliographies. For the
tugboat articles, I ended up doing line breaking by hand :(

>> paragraph wrapping? Or is it common usus, just me never noticed it
>> outside ConTeXt??
>
> in mkiv you can set up your own preferences with
>
> \sethyphenatedurlnormal
> \sethyphenatedurlbefore
> \sethyphenatedurlafter
>
> and in mkii you can play with
>
> \chardef\urlsplitmode = 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Did not know about this. Thanks.

Aditya

* Re: hyphenatedurl (WHY?)
@ 2008-07-12  5:41     ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2008-07-12  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 12.07.2008 um 00:50 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> God bless the command \hyphenatedurl{...} !
>>>
>>> Only, I am wondering why it starts a new line not *after* but
>>> *before*
>>> the slash, dot or whatever there is to structure a long url.
>>> Is this an english/dutch convention, completely different than
>>
>> i just took what i liked (i.e. found less confusing); since i hate
>> long
>> url's (one reason why one can have clickable ones with alternative
>> rendering) i don't care to much either .. anything looks bad in
>> running
>> text -)
>
> Sometimes, you need to refer to long URLs in bibliographies. For the
> tugboat articles, I ended up doing line breaking by hand :(
>
>>> paragraph wrapping? Or is it common usus, just me never noticed it
>>> outside ConTeXt??
>>
>> in mkiv you can set up your own preferences with
>>
>> \sethyphenatedurlnormal
>> \sethyphenatedurlbefore
>> \sethyphenatedurlafter
>>
>> and in mkii you can play with
>>
>> \chardef\urlsplitmode = 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

That's it!

> Did not know about this. Thanks.

Now it is written down ... Googleable ;o)

I am happy for every secret undocumented command that is mentioned on
this list.
Somehow this list's archive actually is the missing ConTeXt-manual ...

Steffen