* Would Multiple Processes Cause: luatex: execution interrupted
@ 2011-07-04 21:24 Raymond LeClair
From: Raymond LeClair @ 2011-07-04 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I run context in a task queue with four worker processes. It is possible that context is invoked simultaneously to process distinct input files by tasks running in separate worker processes. I see periodic fatal errors, as follows:

mtx-context     | fatal error: no return code, message: luatex: execution interrupted

However, the same input files can be processed by context directly without errors. Is it possible that context running in simultaneous but separate processes conflict?

This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.70.1-2011051923 (rev 4277)
ConTeXt  ver: 2011.05.18 18:04 MKIV  fmt: 2011.7.2  int: english/english

* Re: Would Multiple Processes Cause: luatex: execution interrupted
@ 2011-07-04 21:35 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2011-07-04 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4 jul. 2011, at 23:24, Raymond LeClair <raymond.leclair@synterein.com> wrote:

> I run context in a task queue with four worker processes. It is possible that context is invoked simultaneously to process distinct input files by tasks running in separate worker processes. I see periodic fatal errors, as follows:
>
> mtx-context     | fatal error: no return code, message: luatex: execution interrupted

That is a 'hard' luatex crash. Because context calls luatex in a subprocess, it can be problematic to find the actual cause, unfortunately.

> However, the same input files can be processed by context directly without errors. Is it possible that context running in simultaneous but separate processes conflict?

Quite possibly  (but that is very hard to verify and would be even harder to debug). Best practise is to give each process its own temporary directory, just in case.

Best wishes,
Taco

@ 2011-07-05  2:23   ` Raymond LeClair
From: Raymond LeClair @ 2011-07-05  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for your reply!

On Jul 4, 2011, at 5:35 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Quite possibly  (but that is very hard to verify and would be even harder to debug). Best practise is to give each process its own temporary directory, just in case.

This is, in fact, guaranteed by design: each file resides in a directly which is named using a uuid.

Is it possible that context or luatex are creating files in a common directory, say the cache directory, and access by one process locks the file for access by another?

* Re: Would Multiple Processes Cause: luatex: execution interrupted
@ 2011-07-05  6:11     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-07-05  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 4:23 AM, Raymond LeClair
<raymond.leclair@synterein.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply!
>
> On Jul 4, 2011, at 5:35 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>> Quite possibly  (but that is very hard to verify and would be even harder to debug). Best practise is to give each process its own temporary directory, just in case.
>
> This is, in fact, guaranteed by design: each file resides in a directly which is named using a uuid.
>
> Is it possible that context or luatex are creating files in a common directory, say the cache directory, and access by one process locks the file for access by another?
It's possible: say for example that each task rebuild the format at
every run just to be sure. The format  is shared by all instances for
the same minimals or TeXLive, so conflicts may arise.
The same for example for the font cache.

--
luigi

* Re: Would Multiple Processes Cause: luatex: execution interrupted
@ 2011-07-05  6:15       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2011-07-05  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 07/05/2011 08:11 AM, luigi scarso wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 4:23 AM, Raymond LeClair
> <raymond.leclair@synterein.com>  wrote:
>> Thanks for your reply!
>>
>> On Jul 4, 2011, at 5:35 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>>
>>> Quite possibly  (but that is very hard to verify and would be even harder to debug). Best practise is to give each process its own temporary directory, just in case.
>>
>> This is, in fact, guaranteed by design: each file resides in a directly which is named using a uuid.
>>
>> Is it possible that context or luatex are creating files in a common directory, say the cache directory, and access by one process locks the file for access by another?
> It's possible: say for example that each task rebuild the format at
> every run just to be sure. The format  is shared by all instances for
> the same minimals or TeXLive, so conflicts may arise.
> The same for example for the font cache.

Possible but, I think, quite unlikely. Another possibility is that you
simply run out of memory?

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Would Multiple Processes Cause: luatex: execution interrupted
@ 2011-07-05 15:15         ` Raymond LeClair
From: Raymond LeClair @ 2011-07-05 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco,

Thanks for your reply!

You are correct, the issue appears to be memory. The system is hosted on a linode, the smallest of which is 512 MB RAM. I increased this to 1024 MB RAM and this appears to fix the problem.

Very much appreciate your help.

Ray.