* Re: (XeTeX) trouble debugging a "Missing number" error
       [not found] <mailman.95.1354702805.2096.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2012-12-05 15:46 ` Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2012-12-05 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: pragma

/Hans Hagen wrote (///Wed Dec 5 14:10:12 CET 2012/):/

> On 12/5/2012 11:19 AM, Lars Huttar wrote:
> >/ Hi all,
> />

/...

/
> /
> />/
> />/ % Abbreviations
> />/ \definestartstop
> />/    [abblist]
> />/    [before={\setupbackgrounds[text][background=verticalline]
> />/ \starttextbackground[text]
> />/ \setuptab[headstyle={\switchtobodyfont[SansB,\SansBsize]},width=20mm,location=left]
> />/ \startcolumnset[abbcolumn] \startalignment[flushleft,nothyphenated]},
> />/     after={\stopalignment \stopcolumnset \stoptextbackground
> />/ \setupbackgrounds[text][background=off]}]
> /
> you can try
>
> \unexpanded\def\StartAbbList
>    {\setupbackgrounds[text][background=verticalline]
>     \starttextbackground[text]
>
> \setuptab[headstyle={\switchtobodyfont[SansB,\SansBsize]},width=20mm,location=left]
>     \startcolumnset[abbcolumn]
>     \startalignment[flushleft,nothyphenated]}
>
> \unexpanded\def\StopAbbList
>    {\stopalignment
>     \stopcolumnset
>     \stoptextbackground
>     \setupbackgrounds[text][background=off]}
>
> \definestartstop
>    [abblist]
>    [before=\StartAbbList,
>     after=\StopAbbList]

Thanks, I will try this.
Is the goal of this change to fix the error? To help diagnose it?
I don't really understand the use of \unexpanded.

After making this change, the behavior is unaffected... I still get the
"Missing number" error, etc.

> in such case best make a small example, for instance how is abblist used?

\startabblist{
\tab{\ITC{alt.}}\AE{alternate name for}\par
\tab{USDS}\AE{US Department of State}\par
}\stopabblist

where \AE is defined as:

   \def\AE#1{\hskip -3mm \SerifL{#1} \vskip 1mm}

> >/
> />/ E16settings.tex: I added these definitions:
> />/ \define\XLfontsize{14pt}
> />/ \define\XXLfontsize{16pt}
> />/
> />/ There are modes involved, so things are a bit more complicated, but I
> />/ believe that is the only effective difference.
> /
> and how about:
>
> \def\XLfontsize{14pt}
> \def\XXLfontsize{16pt}

I will try that, but all our font size definitions have always used
\define, and it used to work fine without errors.
On http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/define it says that \define is
like the TeX primitive \def, but "will print an error to the log file if
the new definition overwrites an existing command".
I checked the log file, and there is no error mentioning XLfontsize.

So the purpose of your suggestion is to remove the possibility of
reporting a duplicate definition? (There's probably more to it than that
- I'm just trying to understand.)

I tried changing \define to \def as you suggested. The result was
unchanged - same error.

Regards,
Lars

* Re: (XeTeX) trouble debugging a "Missing number" error
@ 2012-12-05 16:22   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-12-05 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.12.2012 um 16:46 schrieb Lars Huttar <lars_huttar@sil.org>:

> /Hans Hagen wrote (///Wed Dec 5 14:10:12 CET 2012/):/

>> On 12/5/2012 11:19 AM, Lars Huttar wrote:
>>> / Hi all,
>> />
>
> /...
>
> /
>> /
>> />/
>> />/ % Abbreviations
>> />/ \definestartstop
>> />/    [abblist]
>> />/    [before={\setupbackgrounds[text][background=verticalline]
>> />/ \starttextbackground[text]
>> />/ \setuptab[headstyle={\switchtobodyfont[SansB,\SansBsize]},width=20mm,location=left]
>> />/ \startcolumnset[abbcolumn] \startalignment[flushleft,nothyphenated]},
>> />/     after={\stopalignment \stopcolumnset \stoptextbackground
>> />/ \setupbackgrounds[text][background=off]}]
>> /
>> you can try
>>
>> \unexpanded\def\StartAbbList
>>   {\setupbackgrounds[text][background=verticalline]
>>    \starttextbackground[text]
>>
>> \setuptab[headstyle={\switchtobodyfont[SansB,\SansBsize]},width=20mm,location=left]
>>    \startcolumnset[abbcolumn]
>>    \startalignment[flushleft,nothyphenated]}
>>
>> \unexpanded\def\StopAbbList
>>   {\stopalignment
>>    \stopcolumnset
>>    \stoptextbackground
>>    \setupbackgrounds[text][background=off]}
>>
>> \definestartstop
>>   [abblist]
>>   [before=\StartAbbList,
>>    after=\StopAbbList]
>
> Thanks, I will try this.
> Is the goal of this change to fix the error? To help diagnose it?
> I don't really understand the use of \unexpanded.

Putting many command and setup in the before and after keys for \definestartstop
isn’t the nicest way to create start/stop command, Hans used a two step method
and put all setups and separate commands which are now used by \definestartstop.

Defining command with \unexpanded\def\…{…} instead of \def\…{…} can prevent
you from unwanted side effects when you use command in headings etc.

> After making this change, the behavior is unaffected... I still get the
> "Missing number" error, etc.

The information you provided aren sufficient to reproduce the error,
according to the message there is a problem with columnsets but there
is no way to tell why you get it.

>> in such case best make a small example, for instance how is abblist used?
>

> \startabblist{
> \tab{\ITC{alt.}}\AE{alternate name for}\par
> \tab{USDS}\AE{US Department of State}\par
> }\stopabblist
>
> where \AE is defined as:
>
>   \def\AE#1{\hskip -3mm \SerifL{#1} \vskip 1mm}

Can you provide a working minimal example which does produce the error.

>>> /
>> />/ E16settings.tex: I added these definitions:
>> />/ \define\XLfontsize{14pt}
>> />/ \define\XXLfontsize{16pt}
>> />/
>> />/ There are modes involved, so things are a bit more complicated, but I
>> />/ believe that is the only effective difference.
>> /
>> and how about:
>>
>> \def\XLfontsize{14pt}
>> \def\XXLfontsize{16pt}
>
> I will try that, but all our font size definitions have always used
> \define, and it used to work fine without errors.
> On http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/define it says that \define is
> like the TeX primitive \def, but "will print an error to the log file if
> the new definition overwrites an existing command".
> I checked the log file, and there is no error mentioning XLfontsize.
>
> So the purpose of your suggestion is to remove the possibility of
> reporting a duplicate definition? (There's probably more to it than that
> - I'm just trying to understand.)
>
> I tried changing \define to \def as you suggested. The result was
> unchanged - same error.

There is no difference between \define and \def in MkII but for MkIV
there is a difference because \define is \unexpanded\def and the new
command \defineexpandable corresponds to the normal \def.

Wolfgang

* Re: (XeTeX) trouble debugging a "Missing number" error
       [not found] <mailman.104.1354736814.2096.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2012-12-07 16:05 ` Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2012-12-07 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Just to let you know, in response to your messages, I am working a
small, self-contained example that reproduces the problem.
However I have been asked to focus on a different project for a few
days, so ... please don't interpret my silence as "We asked him to do
due diligence and he never answered." :-) Hopefully I'll be back with
more, next week.

Regards,
Lars

* Re: (XeTeX) trouble debugging a "Missing number" error
@ 2012-12-05 13:10 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-12-05 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> [...]
>
> % Abbreviations
> \definestartstop
>    [abblist]
>    [before={\setupbackgrounds[text][background=verticalline]
> \starttextbackground[text]
> \setuptab[headstyle={\switchtobodyfont[SansB,\SansBsize]},width=20mm,location=left]
> \startcolumnset[abbcolumn] \startalignment[flushleft,nothyphenated]},
>     after={\stopalignment \stopcolumnset \stoptextbackground
> \setupbackgrounds[text][background=off]}]

you can try

\unexpanded\def\StartAbbList
   {\setupbackgrounds[text][background=verticalline]
    \starttextbackground[text]

\setuptab[headstyle={\switchtobodyfont[SansB,\SansBsize]},width=20mm,location=left]
    \startcolumnset[abbcolumn]
    \startalignment[flushleft,nothyphenated]}

\unexpanded\def\StopAbbList
   {\stopalignment
    \stopcolumnset
    \stoptextbackground
    \setupbackgrounds[text][background=off]}

\definestartstop
   [abblist]
   [before=\StartAbbList,
    after=\StopAbbList]

in such case best make a small example, for instance how is abblist used?

>>From that, one might guess that the font SansB or the font dimension
> \SansBsize were the problem. But those definitions haven't changed
> (though I would like to confirm that empirically with a run-time trace
> message).
>
> Here are the font settings changes that did occur:
>
> E16fonts.tex:
> changed this block:
>    \definefont[SerifXLI][name:GentiumBookBasic-Italic at 10pt]
>    \definefont[SerifXXL][name:GentiumBookBasic at 12pt]
>    \definefont[SerifXXLB][name:GentiumBookBasic-Bold at 12pt]
>
> to use size dimensions defined elsewhere:
> \definefont[SerifXLI][name:GentiumBookBasic-Italic at \XLfontsize]
> \definefont[SerifXXL][name:GentiumBookBasic at \XXLfontsize]
> \definefont[SerifXXLB][name:GentiumBookBasic-Bold at \XXLfontsize]
>
> E16settings.tex: I added these definitions:
> \define\XLfontsize{14pt}
> \define\XXLfontsize{16pt}
>
> There are modes involved, so things are a bit more complicated, but I
> believe that is the only effective difference.

and how about:

\def\XLfontsize{14pt}
\def\XXLfontsize{16pt}

> I also created a log file, which I'll attach.
> There is also a version with \tracingmacros=1, but it's 600K, so I'll
> put it at
> http://www.huttar.net/tmp/country-report-country_id-15-tracing.log
>
> Thanks for taking a look. Please let me know what further information I
> need to provide.
> I can provide the .tex files themselves upon request.
>
> I would especially like to know better techniques for debugging -- how I
> can induce TeX/ConTeXt to tell me more about what's going on. I realize
> that as a macro language, this is inherently difficult with TeX.

yes, it's not always easy ... best is to make small tests (while
developing styles) and test those snippets ... due to tex's expansion
there can always be nasty interferences in complex setups

> We are heavily invested in XeTeX, so switching to LuaTeX in the near
> term is not an option.

a pitty as it runs smoother (and context mkiv has some more features)

(i never used xetex in production and as in context it used the mkii
macros there are not updates, so in principle old runs should still run)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-12-05 10:19 Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2012-12-05 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)