* Catalan especial character (l·l) in ConTeXt
@ 2015-01-07 11:28 19cat
From: 19cat @ 2015-01-07 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am Catalan, and we use frequently the geminated character ( l· ), that not is showed correctly in ConTeXt. Dot is too much separated of 'l' characters.

How can I control character spacing by default?
I have seen Fontfeaturefiles page in wiki for create ligatures and control kerning. But my attempts have failed. Do you think it is a good choice? I keep trying?

Explanation extended:
=================

Typing normally, catalans use "flow dot" character ( · ) between 'l' (l·l), that in spanish keyboard is located over key '3'. Other option is use special utf-8 characters (Ŀ) and (ŀ), but this character is not in any keyboard, and must changed before compile with ConTeXt (I use SED command).

But none of these options is good. See you the result of following sample in context.
% ===================================
% Sentence: "I want to see films at school"
\mainlanguage[ca]

\starttext
	% With flow point
	\section{PEL·LÍCULES}
	Vull veure pel·lícules al col·legi

	% With utf-8 character
	\section{PEĿLÍCULES}
	Vull veure peŀlícules al coŀlegi
\stoptext
% ===================================

The first result is very bad (too separaded). The second result is better, but closer together. More than double L ( ll)

I would obtain LaTeX result using special characters that are more separated than ConTeXt, using "flow point" of keyboard. See you this sample:
% ===================================
\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[catalan]{babel}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{lmodern}

\usepackage{newunicodechar}
\newunicodechar{Ŀ}{Ŀ}
\newunicodechar{ŀ}{ŀ}
\newunicodechar{Ŀ}{\L.}
\newunicodechar{ŀ}{\l.}

% Sentence: "I want to see films at school"
\begin{document}
	% With flow dot
	\section{PEL·LÍCULES}
	Vull veure pel·lícules al col·legi

	% With utf-8 characters
	\section{PEĿLÍCULES}
	Vull veure peŀlícules al coŀlegi
\end{document}
% ===================================

The second section is with utf-8 characters, and it looks great.

Thanks,

19cat

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 5250 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: ConTeXt_dotflow.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 23498 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.3: ConTeXt_geminated.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 23047 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.4: LaTeX_dotflow.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 20930 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.5: LaTeX_geminated.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 21500 bytes --]

* Re:  Catalan especial character (l·l) in ConTeXt
@ 2015-01-08 14:07 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-01-08 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/7/2015 12:28 PM, 19cat wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am Catalan, and we use frequently the geminated character ( l· ), that
> not is showed correctly in ConTeXt. Dot is too much separated of 'l'
> characters.
>
> How can I control character spacing by default?
> I have seen Fontfeaturefiles page in wiki for create ligatures and
> control kerning. But my attempts have failed. Do you think it is a good
> choice? I keep trying?
>

> Explanation extended:
> =================
>
> Typing normally, catalans use "flow dot" character ( · ) between 'l'
> (l·l), that in spanish keyboard is located over key '3'. Other option is
> use special utf-8 characters (Ŀ) and (ŀ), but this character is not in
> any keyboard, and must changed before compile with ConTeXt (I use SED
> command).
>
> But none of these options is good. See you the result of following
> sample in context.
> % ===================================
> % Sentence: "I want to see films at school"
> \mainlanguage[ca]
>
> \starttext
> % With flow point
> \section{PEL·LÍCULES}
> Vull veure pel·lícules al col·legi
> % With utf-8 character
> \section{PEĿLÍCULES}
> Vull veure peŀlícules al coŀlegi
> \stoptext
> % ===================================
>

> The first result is very bad (too separaded). The second result is
> better, but closer together. More than double L ( ll)
>

> I would obtain LaTeX result using special characters that are more
> separated than ConTeXt, using "flow point" of keyboard. See you this sample:
> % ===================================
> \documentclass[a4paper]{article}
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[catalan]{babel}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage{lmodern}
>
> \usepackage{newunicodechar}
> \newunicodechar{Ŀ}{Ŀ}
> \newunicodechar{ŀ}{ŀ}
> \newunicodechar{Ŀ}{\L.}
> \newunicodechar{ŀ}{\l.}
>
> % Sentence: "I want to see films at school"
> \begin{document}
> % With flow dot
> \section{PEL·LÍCULES}
> Vull veure pel·lícules al col·legi
>
> % With utf-8 characters
> \section{PEĿLÍCULES}
> Vull veure peŀlícules al coŀlegi
> \end{document}
> % ===================================
>

> The second section is with utf-8 characters, and it looks great.

This is kind of tricky as in unicode they are not composed characters
(char vs compat) so they are not dealt with in the collapser.

I've added this to the beta:

\definefontfeature[default][default][char-ligatures=yes,mode=node]
\definefontfeature[default][default][compat-ligatures=yes,mode=node]

% \setupbodyfont[cambria]
% \setupbodyfont[pagella]

\starttext

\startTEXpage[offset=10pt]
     PEL·LÍCULES pel·lícules col·legi \par
     PEĿLÍCULES  peŀlícules  coŀlegi  \par
\stopTEXpage

\stoptext

I'm not sure about the names of these pseudo features (pl01 and pl02
might make more sense or maybe xlig (extra) and plig (pseudo) ... so
maybe the names will change.

(Not all fonts support this properly so it always needs checking.)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-01-08 16:34   ` Keith J. Schultz
From: Keith J. Schultz @ 2015-01-08 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans, All,

Your solution is naturaly better, but I was trying to use \topaccent to solve
the problem.

Yet, in my test I noticed that there maybe a bug in the spacing of the Middle Dot in the
default font of ConTeXt, as you can see using my MWE.

Depending on the font used, the result looks likes 19cat’s LaTeX example!

Of course using \topaccent causes a character spacing to the preceding character!
Here again the result is the worst for the default font of ConTeXt!

Here my test MWE!?

\mainlanguage[ca]

%\definefontfeature[default][default][char-ligatures=yes,mode=node]
%\definefontfeature[default][default][compat-ligatures=yes,mode=node]

\definefontfamily [mainface] [serif] [Avenir]
%\definefontfamily [mainface] [serif] [TeX Gyre Schola]
\setupbodyfont[mainface]

%\setupbodyfont[cambria]
%\setupbodyfont[pagella]

\def\LdotL{\topaccent{0pt}{0.5}{0}{·}{L}L}
\def\ldotl{\topaccent{0pt}{1.2}{0}{·}{l}l}

\def\Ldot{\topaccent{0pt}{0.5}{0}{·}{L}}
\def\ldot{\topaccent{0pt}{1.2}{0}{·}{l}}

\starttext
	% With flow point
	\section{PEL·LÍCULES}
	Vull veure pel·lícules al col·legi
	affike
	% With utf-8 character
	\section{PEĿLÍCULES}
	Vull veure peŀlícules al coŀlegi

	\section{PE\LdotL ÍCULES}
	Vull veure pe\ldotl ícules al co\ldotl egi

@ 2015-01-08 18:42     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-01-08 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/8/2015 5:34 PM, Keith J. Schultz wrote:
> Hi Hans, All,
>
> Your solution is naturaly better, but I was trying to use \topaccent to
> solve
> the problem.
>
> Yet, in my test I noticed that there maybe a bug in the spacing of the
> Middle Dot in the
> default font of ConTeXt, as you can see using my MWE.

Hard to say ... a designers choice.

> Depending on the font used, the result looks likes 19cat’s LaTeX example!
>
> Of course using \topaccent causes a character spacing to the preceding
> character!
> Here again the result is the worst for the default font of ConTeXt!

Probably because no one ever tested it and provided feedback. One of the
advantages of going to tex meetings is that one can then try to convince
font/macro authors to fix / change.

Anyway, this looks good enough to me:

\startluacode

function document.add_some_characters(target,original)
     local characters = target.characters
     local upper      = characters[0x004C]
     local lower      = characters[0x006C]
     local accent     = characters[0x00B7]
     characters[0x013F] = {
         commands = {
             { "char", 0x004C },
             { "push" },
             { "right", - upper.width + accent.width },
             { "char", 0x00B7 },
             { "pop" },
         },
         width  = upper.width,
         height = upper.height,
         depth  = upper.depth,
     }
     characters[0x0140] = {
         commands = {
             { "char", 0x006C },
             { "push" },
             { "right", - accent.width/2 },
             { "char", 0x00B7 },
             { "pop" },
         },
         width  = lower.width + accent.width/6,
         height = lower.height,
         depth  = lower.depth,
     }
end

utilities.sequencers.appendaction("aftercopyingcharacters","system","document.add_some_characters")

\stopluacode

\setupbodyfont[schola]

\starttext

@ 2015-01-14 17:50       ` 19cat
From: 19cat @ 2015-01-14 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks to All,

But your solutions do not like me. And I keep trying the option of Fontfeaturefile page in wiki and Adobe feature topic.
 - http://wiki.contextgarden.net/fontfeaturefiles
 - http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TrueType_fonts_in_luaTeX
 - http://www.adobe.com/devnet/opentype/afdko/topic_feature_file_syntax.html

With this I had found 4 good solutions.
I think that for Catalans, the best is gemkerndot.fea
I attached files for test.

This is a short sample context file with diferent feature files options
# ============== geminated.tex =============
% Check each feature
\definefontfeature[default][default][featurefile=gemligature.fea]
%\definefontfeature[default][default][featurefile=gemkerndot.fea]
%\definefontfeature[default][default][featurefile=gemkernpair.fea]
%\definefontfeature[default][default][featurefile=gemkerntrio.fea]

\starttext

\section{Geminated l·l}
COL·LEGI
Col·legi
Col·Legi
CoL·legi

\stoptext
# ========================================

1.- Create a ligature from L·  and l· to special characters
This option substitute my SED command for replace L· and l· to respective special characters.
# ============== gemligature.fea =============
# Script and language coverage
languagesystem DFLT dflt;
languagesystem latn dflt;

# Ligature
feature liga {
	# Create a ligature
	substitute l \u00b7 by \u0140;
	substitute L \u00b7 by \u013F;
} liga;
# ========================================

2.- Change kerning of middle dot.
This option change middle dot kerning in all cases
# ============== gemkerndot.fea =============
# Script and language coverage
languagesystem DFLT dflt;
languagesystem latn dflt;

# Kerning
feature kern {
	# All middle dots
	position \u00b7 <-330 0 -660 0>;
} kern;
# ========================================

3.- Change kerning of pair middle dot and L characters (suffix and prefix)
This option only change middle dot and L kerning in pair cases
# ============== gemkernpair.fea =============
# Script and language coverage
languagesystem DFLT dflt;
languagesystem latn dflt;

# Kerning
feature kern {
	# Middle dot pair arround 'L'
	position l \u00b7 -330;
	position \u00b7 l -330;
	position L \u00b7 -330;
	position \u00b7 L -330;
} kern;
# ========================================

4.- Change kerning only with trio of L·L and l·l
This option only change middle dot kerning with trio L·L. Have a problem with different L uppercases L·l and l·L
# ============== gemkerntrio =============
# Script and language coverage
languagesystem DFLT dflt;
languagesystem latn dflt;

# Kerning
feature kern {
	# Middle dot arround L·L and l·l
	position l \u00b7' <-330 0 -660 0> l;
	position L \u00b7' <-330 0 -660 0> L;
} kern;
# ========================================

19cat

[-- Attachment #2: geminated.tex --]

% Check each feature
\definefontfeature[default][default][featurefile=gemligature.fea]
%\definefontfeature[default][default][featurefile=gemkerndot.fea]
%\definefontfeature[default][default][featurefile=gemkernpair.fea]
%\definefontfeature[default][default][featurefile=gemkerntrio.fea]

\starttext

\section{Geminated l·l}
{\tfxx col·legi} \par
{\tfx col·legi} \par
{\tf col·legi} \par
{\tfa col·legi} \par
{\tfb col·legi} \par
{\tfc col·legi} \par
{\tfd col·legi}

\section{Geminated L·L}
{\tfxx PEL·LÍCULA} \par
{\tfx PEL·LÍCULA} \par
{\tf PEL·LÍCULA} \par
{\tfa PEL·LÍCULA} \par
{\tfb PEL·LÍCULA} \par
{\tfc PEL·LÍCULA} \par
{\tfd PEL·LÍCULA}

\section{Geminated L·l}
{\tfxx coL·legi} \par
{\tfx coL·legi} \par
{\tf coL·legi} \par
{\tfa coL·legi} \par
{\tfb coL·legi} \par
{\tfc coL·legi} \par
{\tfd coL·legi}

\section{Geminated l·L}
{\tfxx PEl·LÍCULA} \par
{\tfx PEl·LÍCULA} \par
{\tf PEl·LÍCULA} \par
{\tfa PEl·LÍCULA} \par
{\tfb PEl·LÍCULA} \par
{\tfc PEl·LÍCULA} \par
{\tfd PEl·LÍCULA}

\stoptext

[-- Attachment #3: gemligature.fea --]

# Script and language coverage
languagesystem DFLT dflt;
languagesystem latn dflt;

# Ligature
feature liga {
	# Create a ligature
	substitute l \u00b7 by \u0140;
	substitute L \u00b7 by \u013F;
} liga;

[-- Attachment #4: gemkerndot.fea --]

# Script and language coverage
languagesystem DFLT dflt;
languagesystem latn dflt;

# Kerning
feature kern {
	# All middle dots
	position \u00b7 <-330 0 -660 0>;
} kern;

[-- Attachment #5: gemkernpair.fea --]

# Script and language coverage
languagesystem DFLT dflt;
languagesystem latn dflt;

# Kerning
feature kern {
	# Middle dot pair arround 'L'
	position l \u00b7 -330;
	position \u00b7 l -330;
	position L \u00b7 -330;
	position \u00b7 L -330;
} kern;

[-- Attachment #6: gemkerntrio.fea --]

@ 2015-01-14 18:28         ` 19cat
From: 19cat @ 2015-01-14 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, again.

I have another issue.

When I put \definefontfeature command into environment file, doesn't work. I must put in product file, before \startproduct command.

You know why?

This is my tree structure:
	prd_productname
	env_productname