From: Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com>
To: pavneet_arora@waroc.com
Subject: Re: simpleslides help needed
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 06:22:48 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 23.07.2012 um 23:21 schrieb Pavneet Arora:

> Dear Wolfgang,
>
> I have tried what I believe to be the two approaches you suggested for controlling the margins of a quotation:
>
> 1.  Using the switches offered via \setupdelimitedtext in the \setupquotation command:
>
> \setupquotation[leftmargin=1.5in]
> \quotation{Pito Salas, a developer at ATG, decided to attack this problem. After a few months of studying existing real-world examples, it became clear that the data, views of that data, and the formulas that acted on that data were very separate concepts. Yet in every case, the existing spreadsheet programs required the user to type all of these items into the same (typically single) sheet's cells.}
>
> The result in this case is that neither margin is affected with any combination of leftmargin= and rightmargin=, either alone or in combination.
>
> 2.  Creating an environment file env-myquotation.tex, which has as its contents:
>
> \startenvironment myquotation
> 	\setuplayout[leftmargin=1.5in,backspace=1.5in,rightmargin=1.5in]
> \stopenvironment
>
> ...and then the slide:
>
> \SlideTitle{An exception: Lotus Improv, an exceptional spreadsheet}
> \blank
> %\setupquotation[leftmargin=1.5in]
> {\environment env-myquotation.tex
> \quotation{Pito Salas, a developer at ATG, decided to attack this problem. After a few months of studying existing real-world examples, it became clear that the data, views of that data, and the formulas that acted on that data were very separate concepts. Yet in every case, the existing spreadsheet programs required the user to type all of these items into the same (typically single) sheet's cells.}
> }
> \par
> \startalignment[flushright]
> \blank[2*big]
> {\em Source:  Wikipedia/Lotus Improv}
> \stopalignment
>
> In this case, the margins seem to work for the quotation, but, unfortunately, the title is also shifted by the leftmargin (but not the right margin as title width appears to remain the same; this title is longer than a single line), and the credit which I did not need brought in was also shifted in to the right margin of the environment.
>
> So am I limited in my control over margins within a slide do you think?  Or is there another approach?

You’re doing to wrong, below you can see two different ways to have a quotation with margins. The first method uses the quotation environment where you can control the margin with the leftmargin and “rightmargin keys, the second method uses the quotation command which is put in a narrower environment to create the margins/offset.

\showframe[text][text]

\startbuffer
Pito Salas, a developer at ATG, decided to attack this problem.
After a few months of studying existing real-world examples,
it became clear that the data, views of that data, and the
formulas that acted on that data were very separate concepts.
Yet in every case, the existing spreadsheet programs required
the user to type all of these items into the same (typically
single) sheet’s cells.%
\stopbuffer

\starttext

\startquotation \getbuffer \stopquotation

\setupdelimitedtext[quotation][leftmargin=3cm]

\startquotation \getbuffer \stopquotation

\quotation{\getbuffer}

\startnarrower[3*middle]
\quotation{\getbuffer}
\stopnarrower