* Force two figures to appear on the same page
@ 2014-04-30  9:58 Thomas Möbius
From: Thomas Möbius @ 2014-04-30  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear ConTeXt list,

I have multiple figures appearing in a single chapter which are
roughly half a page in height.  They would fit on top of each other.
It seems as if context is only putting floats on top of each other if
at least 2 lines of text fit underneath them.

How to force two figures which fit on one page to also appear on one page?

As you can see in the example below, the chapter would otherwise end
with a lengthy list of figures.  I'd prefer, if the chapter ends with
text.  If I'd use `force`, text would stop wrapping around the floats.

The cow.png file is a copy of the graphic appearing on

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/externalfigure

---minimal example--
\starttext

\chapter{Aasntheo asoetnh}

\input knuth
\input knuth
\input knuth

\placefigure [here] [fig:experiment:h:box:sd] {Hey}
{\externalfigure[cow.png][height=.45\textheight,frame=on]}

\placefigure [here] [fig:experiment:h:box:sd] {Ho}
{\externalfigure[cow.png][height=.45\textheight,frame=on]}

\placefigure [here] [fig:experiment:h:box:sd] {Ho}
{\externalfigure[cow.png][height=.45\textheight,frame=on]}

\placefigure [here] [fig:experiment:h:box:sd] {Ho}
{\externalfigure[cow.png][height=.45\textheight,frame=on]}

\input knuth
\input knuth
\input knuth
\input knuth
\input knuth
\stoptext

* Re: Force two figures to appear on the same page
@ 2014-05-07  8:57     ` Thomas Friedrich
From: Thomas Friedrich @ 2014-05-07  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you Wolfgang, it works like a bliss!

Best
Thomas

> Am 06.05.2014 um 12:36 schrieb Thomas Friedrich <friedrich@statistik.tu-dortmund.de>:
>
>> Unfortunately, this is not what I am looking for: Both figures have
>> there own caption and shall appear as separate figures in the "list of
>> figures" at the end of the document.
>

> You can use the floatcombination environment to put many floats into a single block,
> the figure environment around the combination environment where I disabled
> the counter is used to center the block.
>
> \setupexternalfigures[location=default]
>
> \starttext
>
> \input knuth
>
> \startplacefigure[location=nonumber]
>         \startfloatcombination[1*2]
>                 \startplacefigure[title={Dutch cow}]
>                         \externalfigure[cow][width=4cm]
>                 \stopplacefigure
>                 \startplacefigure[title={English cow}]
>                         \externalfigure[cow][width=4cm]
>                 \stopplacefigure
>         \stopfloatcombination
> \stopplacefigure
>
> \input ward
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

Thomas Möbius
Fakultät Statistik
Technische Universität Dortmund
44221 Dortmund
Telefon: 0231 755 - 3116
FAX: 0231 755 - 5304
E-Mail: friedrich@statistik.tu-dortmund.de

* Re: Force two figures to appear on the same page
@ 2014-05-06 10:49   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2014-05-06 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2014-05-06 10:36 ` Thomas Friedrich
From: Thomas Friedrich @ 2014-05-06 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2014-04-30 20:45 Andres Conrado
From: Andres Conrado @ 2014-04-30 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I forgot to include a MWE:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\starttext

\setupexternalfigures[location={local, default}]

\startcombination[1*3]

{\externalfigure[cow][height=1cm]} {d}

{\externalfigure[cow][height=1cm]} {e}

{\externalfigure[cow][height=1cm]} {f}

\stopcombination

\stoptext

Andres

* Re: Force two figures to appear on the same page
@ 2014-04-30 20:39 Andres Conrado
From: Andres Conrado @ 2014-04-30 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context