* Cambria: integral sign has wrong size
@ 2011-06-30  8:46 Julian Becker
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Julian Becker @ 2011-06-30  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everybody!
I tried doing some math typesetting with Cambria, but somehow the integral
sign comes out somewhat smaller than it should be.
Running the following   in the latest beta produces the  attached pdf. Does
anybody have an idea about what's going wrong here, or how to fix it?

Julian

----
\usetypescript[cambria]
\setupbodyfont[cambria,10pt]

\startTEXpage
\startformula
\prod_a^b \sum_{n=0}^\infty \int_0^\infty e^{-{\bi\beta}^2}\, {\rm d}^3{\bi
\beta}
\stopformula
\stopTEXpage
----

[-- Attachment #2: test.pdf --]

* Re: Cambria: integral sign has wrong size
@ 2011-07-01  6:41 ` Taco Hoekwater
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2011-07-01  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 06/30/2011 10:46 AM, Julian Becker wrote:
> Hello everybody!
> I tried doing some math typesetting with Cambria, but somehow the
> integral sign comes out somewhat smaller than it should be.
> Running the following   in the latest beta produces the  attached pdf.
> Does anybody have an idea about what's going wrong here, or how to fix it?

It is a regression (it was ok with older context versions) but I am not
sure what is causing it. The most likely cause is that the metrics
patch to CambriaMath is no longer applied, but I do not quite remember
how to check that.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Cambria: integral sign has wrong size
@ 2011-07-01  6:57 ` Philipp Stephani
From: Philipp Stephani @ 2011-07-01  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 20:59, schrieb Julian Becker:
> Hello everybody!
> I tried doing some math typesetting with Cambria, but somehow the
> integral sign comes out somewhat smaller than it should be.
> Running the following   in the latest beta produces the  attached pdf.
> Does anybody have an idea about what's going wrong here, or how to fix it?
>
> Julian
>
> ----
> \usetypescript[cambria]
> \setupbodyfont[cambria,10pt]
>
> \startTEXpage
> \startformula
> \prod_a^b \sum_{n=0}^\infty \int_0^\infty e^{-{\bi\beta}^2}\, {\rm
> d}^3{\bi \beta}
> \stopformula
> \stopTEXpage
> ----

This is a known bug in the Cambria font, the size of the big operators
is not set correctly, but AFAIK ConTeXt already accounts for this by
applying a custom font patch.

* Re: Cambria: integral sign has wrong size
@ 2011-07-01  7:25   ` Julian Becker
From: Julian Becker @ 2011-07-01  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

In this case, is there a quick workaround? I tried something like redefining
\int
using
\def\int{\getglyph{CambriaMath}{\char"F05C2}\intlimits}

This gives the desired result in displaystyle, but is incompatible with
scriptstyle math. Is there a way to adapt this workaround to account for
this in some way?

Best regards,
Julian

@ 2011-07-01  8:14     ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2011-07-01  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Try setting \Umathoperatorsize\displaystyle=2em or so until you find a
suitable value.

On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 09:25:27AM +0200, Julian Becker wrote:
> In this case, is there a quick workaround? I tried something like redefining \
> int
> using
> \def\int{\getglyph{CambriaMath}{\char"F05C2}\intlimits}
>
> This gives the desired result in displaystyle, but is incompatible with
> scriptstyle math. Is there a way to adapt this workaround to account for this
> in some way?
>
> Best regards,
> Julian
>

> 2011/7/1 Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>
>
>     On 06/30/2011 10:46 AM, Julian Becker wrote:
>
>         Hello everybody!
>         I tried doing some math typesetting with Cambria, but somehow the
>         integral sign comes out somewhat smaller than it should be.
>         Running the following   in the latest beta produces the  attached pdf.
>         Does anybody have an idea about what's going wrong here, or how to fix
>         it?
>

>     It is a regression (it was ok with older context versions) but I am not
>     sure what is causing it. The most likely cause is that the metrics
>     patch to CambriaMath is no longer applied, but I do not quite remember
>     how to check that.
>
>     Best wishes,
>     Taco
>     ntg-context
>     webpage  : http://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://tex.aanhet.net
>     archive  : http://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/contextrev/
>     wiki     : http://contextgarden.net

 Khaled Hosny
 Egyptian
 Arab

* Re: Cambria: integral sign has wrong size
@ 2011-07-01  8:26       ` Julian Becker
From: Julian Becker @ 2011-07-01  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Khaled,
this works like a charm!

Best wishes,
Julian

@ 2011-07-01 15:31 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-07-01 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30-6-2011 10:46, Julian Becker wrote:
> Hello everybody!
> I tried doing some math typesetting with Cambria, but somehow the integral
> sign comes out somewhat smaller than it should be.
> Running the following   in the latest beta produces the  attached pdf. Does
> anybody have an idea about what's going wrong here, or how to fix it?

It will be fixed in the next beta, in the meantime you can replace
cambria-math.lfg by this:

local function FixDisplayOperatorMinHeight(value,target,original)
     local o = original.mathparameters.DisplayOperatorMinHeight
     if o < 2800 then
         return 2800 * target.parameters.factor
     else
         return value -- already scaled
     end
end

return {
     name = "cambria-math",
     version = "1.00",
     comment = "Goodies that complement cambria.",
     author = "Hans Hagen",
     copyright = "ConTeXt development team",
     mathematics = {
         parameters = {
             DisplayOperatorMinHeight = FixDisplayOperatorMinHeight,
         }
     }
}

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Cambria: integral sign has wrong size
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-07-09  9:41 ` views63
From: views63 @ 2011-07-09  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)