* Splitting a combination of figures (also a philosophical question)
@ 2015-05-20 14:43 Mojca Miklavec
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2015-05-20 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

This is not strictly a ConTeXt question.

I have two almost identical figures which I want to display one after
the other. Ideally that would be on the same page with the combination
of both having a single figure number (and possibly the two individual
figures having labels (a) and (b), but that's not strictly required).

However if the page breaks are not favourable, it would be OK to split
the two figures, so that one ends up on the bottom of the previous
page and the second one on the top of the new page.

I could use two separate figure numbers, but then I would need to
change the text that references the figures (and when the layout
changes, so that I would figure out that both figures would eventually
fit on a single page, I would have to change the text again).

Is there any reasonable (and acceptable) solution to that? One option
would be to have
    "Figure 1.5a: description"
on the first page and
    "Figure 1.5b: description"
on the second page while a reference to the figure would still show
"Figure 1.5", but I'm not sure if this is doable.

I would like to hear if anyone had a similar "challenge" and what
solution you used.

Mojca

* Re: Splitting a combination of figures (also a philosophical question)
@ 2015-05-20 20:29 ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2015-05-20 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 20 May 2015 16:43:32 +0200
Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> I could use two separate figure numbers, but then I would need to
> change the text that references the figures (and when the layout
> changes, so that I would figure out that both figures would eventually
> fit on a single page, I would have to change the text again).

What is the philosophical difference between Figure 1.5a ... Figure
1.5b and Figure 1.5 ... Figure 1.6?

Maybe (untested):
\startplacefigure [incrementnumber=no,number=no]
    \startcombination [1]
        {\externalfigure [firstoftwo]} {a}
    \stopcombination
\stopplacefigure
\startplacefigure [title=My combined figure title]
    \startcombination [1]
        {\externalfigure [secondoftwo]} {b}
    \stopcombination
\stopplacefigure

Alan

* Re: Splitting a combination of figures (also a philosophical question)
@ 2015-05-20 21:12 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-05-20 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 20.05.2015 um 16:43 schrieb Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>:
>
> Hello,
>
> This is not strictly a ConTeXt question.
>
> I have two almost identical figures which I want to display one after
> the other. Ideally that would be on the same page with the combination
> of both having a single figure number (and possibly the two individual
> figures having labels (a) and (b), but that's not strictly required).
>
> However if the page breaks are not favourable, it would be OK to split
> the two figures, so that one ends up on the bottom of the previous
> page and the second one on the top of the new page.
>
> I could use two separate figure numbers, but then I would need to
> change the text that references the figures (and when the layout
> changes, so that I would figure out that both figures would eventually
> fit on a single page, I would have to change the text again).
>
> Is there any reasonable (and acceptable) solution to that? One option
> would be to have
>    "Figure 1.5a: description"
> on the first page and
>    "Figure 1.5b: description"
> on the second page while a reference to the figure would still show
> "Figure 1.5", but I'm not sure if this is doable.
>
> I would like to hear if anyone had a similar "challenge" and what
> solution you used.

\setupexternalfigure[location=default]

\starttext

\dorecurse{5}{\input ward }
%\dorecurse{2}{\input ward }

\startplacefigure[location=split,title=Float dummy]
	\startxtable[frame=off,align=middle]
		\startxrow
			\startxcell
				\dontleavehmode\externalfigure[cow]
			\stopxcell
		\stopxrow
		\startxrow
			\startxcell
				\dontleavehmode\externalfigure[hacker]
			\stopxcell
		\stopxrow
	\stopxtable
\stopplacefigure

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Splitting a combination of figures (also a philosophical question)
@ 2015-05-20 22:48 ` Kate F
From: Kate F @ 2015-05-20 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20 May 2015 at 15:43, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is not strictly a ConTeXt question.
>
> I have two almost identical figures which I want to display one after
> the other. Ideally that would be on the same page with the combination
> of both having a single figure number (and possibly the two individual
> figures having labels (a) and (b), but that's not strictly required).
>
> However if the page breaks are not favourable, it would be OK to split
> the two figures, so that one ends up on the bottom of the previous
> page and the second one on the top of the new page.

If your figures are almost identical, I would avoid this at all costs
- unless the figures would be on facing (recto and verso) pages. In my
view, it would be less confusing to have both figures on their own
page - assuming both can fit on a page. Make that page landscape if
necessary.

An alternate approach would be to have your figures in situ, but to
inset a small thumbnail-sized graphic showing the important part of
the other image (i.e. zoomed in), so that the reader can see what's
different.

--
Kate

* Re: Splitting a combination of figures (also a philosophical question)
@ 2015-05-21 13:43   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2015-05-21 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 11:12 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Am 20.05.2015 um 16:43 schrieb Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This is not strictly a ConTeXt question.
>>
>> I have two almost identical figures which I want to display one after
>> the other. Ideally that would be on the same page with the combination
>> of both having a single figure number (and possibly the two individual
>> figures having labels (a) and (b), but that's not strictly required).
>>
>> However if the page breaks are not favourable, it would be OK to split
>> the two figures, so that one ends up on the bottom of the previous
>> page and the second one on the top of the new page.
>>
>> I could use two separate figure numbers, but then I would need to
>> change the text that references the figures (and when the layout
>> changes, so that I would figure out that both figures would eventually
>> fit on a single page, I would have to change the text again).
>>
>> Is there any reasonable (and acceptable) solution to that? One option
>> would be to have
>>    "Figure 1.5a: description"
>> on the first page and
>>    "Figure 1.5b: description"
>> on the second page while a reference to the figure would still show
>> "Figure 1.5", but I'm not sure if this is doable.
>>
>> I would like to hear if anyone had a similar "challenge" and what
>> solution you used.
>

> \setupexternalfigure[location=default]
>
> \starttext
>
> \dorecurse{5}{\input ward }
> %\dorecurse{2}{\input ward }
>
> \startplacefigure[location=split,title=Float dummy]
>         \startxtable[frame=off,align=middle]
>                 \startxrow
>                         \startxcell
>                                 \dontleavehmode\externalfigure[cow]
>                         \stopxcell
>                 \stopxrow
>                 \startxrow
>                         \startxcell
>                                 \dontleavehmode\externalfigure[hacker]
>                         \stopxcell
>                 \stopxrow
>         \stopxtable
> \stopplacefigure
>
> \stoptext

Impressive.

I'm still scratching my head because I don't understand the magic
behind this trick (unless Hans and Wolfgang were reading my mind a
while ago when this was implemented), but curiously it does exactly
what I wanted to achieve.

To Alan:

> What is the philosophical difference between Figure 1.5a ... Figure
> 1.5b and Figure 1.5 ... Figure 1.6?

The difference is that one then needs to say "See Figure 1.5 and 1.6"
somewhere in text instead of just "See Figure 1.5".

@ 2015-05-21 22:51     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-05-21 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/21/2015 3:43 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 11:12 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>> Am 20.05.2015 um 16:43 schrieb Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> This is not strictly a ConTeXt question.
>>>
>>> I have two almost identical figures which I want to display one after
>>> the other. Ideally that would be on the same page with the combination
>>> of both having a single figure number (and possibly the two individual
>>> figures having labels (a) and (b), but that's not strictly required).
>>>
>>> However if the page breaks are not favourable, it would be OK to split
>>> the two figures, so that one ends up on the bottom of the previous
>>> page and the second one on the top of the new page.
>>>
>>> I could use two separate figure numbers, but then I would need to
>>> change the text that references the figures (and when the layout
>>> changes, so that I would figure out that both figures would eventually
>>> fit on a single page, I would have to change the text again).
>>>
>>> Is there any reasonable (and acceptable) solution to that? One option
>>> would be to have
>>>     "Figure 1.5a: description"
>>> on the first page and
>>>     "Figure 1.5b: description"
>>> on the second page while a reference to the figure would still show
>>> "Figure 1.5", but I'm not sure if this is doable.
>>>
>>> I would like to hear if anyone had a similar "challenge" and what
>>> solution you used.
>>

>> \setupexternalfigure[location=default]
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \dorecurse{5}{\input ward }
>> %\dorecurse{2}{\input ward }
>>
>> \startplacefigure[location=split,title=Float dummy]
>>          \startxtable[frame=off,align=middle]
>>                  \startxrow
>>                          \startxcell
>>                                  \dontleavehmode\externalfigure[cow]
>>                          \stopxcell
>>                  \stopxrow
>>                  \startxrow
>>                          \startxcell
>>                                  \dontleavehmode\externalfigure[hacker]
>>                          \stopxcell
>>                  \stopxrow
>>          \stopxtable
>> \stopplacefigure
>>
>> \stoptext
>
> Impressive.
>
> I'm still scratching my head because I don't understand the magic
> behind this trick (unless Hans and Wolfgang were reading my mind a
> while ago when this was implemented), but curiously it does exactly
> what I wanted to achieve.
>
> To Alan:
>
>> What is the philosophical difference between Figure 1.5a ... Figure
>> 1.5b and Figure 1.5 ... Figure 1.6?
>
> The difference is that one then needs to say "See Figure 1.5 and 1.6"
> somewhere in text instead of just "See Figure 1.5".

\startplacefigure[location=here,reference=first, title=first,
group=alpha,groupsuffix=.a]
     \externalfigure[dummy][height=2cm]
\stopplacefigure
\startplacefigure[location=here,reference=second,title=second,group=alpha,groupsuffix=.b]
     \externalfigure[dummy][height=2cm]
\stopplacefigure

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE