* Preventing double title pages for nested content
@ 2015-05-19 22:34 Kate F
From: Kate F @ 2015-05-19 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

I'm collating some UNIX-like manpages into a PDF.
I'm structuring the content like so:

  \setupcolors[state=start]

  \definehead[Volume] [part] % red colour: man(1) section
  \definehead[Library][part] % blue colour: library within section 3
  \definehead[Manpage][chapter]

  \setuphead[Volume,Library,Manpage][page=yes,number=no,placehead=yes]
  \setuphead[Volume][color=red]
  \setuphead[Library][color=blue]

  \starttext
    \placecontent[list={Volume,Library,Manpage}]

    \startVolume[title=Section 1: Programs]
        \dorecurse{3}{\startManpage[title=progxyz(1)] \input lorem \stopManpage}
    \stopVolume

    \startVolume[title=Section 2: Syscalls]
        \dorecurse{3}{\startManpage[title=syscallxyz(1)] \input lorem
\stopManpage}
    \stopVolume

    \startVolume[title=Section 3: Libraries]
        \startLibrary[title=libjpeg]
            \dorecurse{3}{\startManpage[title=jpegapi_a(3)] \input
lorem \stopManpage}
        \stopLibrary
        \startLibrary[title=libpng]
            \dorecurse{3}{\startManpage[title=pngapi_a(3)] \input
lorem \stopManpage}
        \stopLibrary
        \startLibrary[title=libbmp]
            \dorecurse{3}{\startManpage[title=bmpapi_a(3)] \input
lorem \stopManpage}
        \stopLibrary
    \stopVolume

    \startVolume[title=Section 4: Drivers]
        \dorecurse{3}{\startManpage[title=drvxyz(1)] \input lorem \stopManpage}
    \stopVolume

    \startVolume[title=Section 7mk: Makefiles]
        \dorecurse{3}{\startManpage[title=xyz.mk(1)] \input lorem \stopManpage}
    \stopVolume
  \stoptext

There I have grouped Volume 3 manpages into libraries. This grouping only
applies to Volume 3.

I'd like a single "title" page for each Volume (which I show in red),
except for section 3, where I'd like a title page for each Library
(which I show in blue). So the pagination should look like:

  toc S1 ... S2 ... libjpeg ...  libpng ... libbmp ... S4 ...

Where S* there is a red title page, S3 is absent, and lib* are blue title pages.
I'm trying to work out how best to do this.

Would you recommend I hide Volume 3's title page?
I think that must be the simplest way, but I don't know how to do it
using a setup.

My data is coming from XML, and I'd like to avoid having a special
\startVolume for Volume 3, if I can. Although perhaps that could help.

Are there any other ways which might be more sensible?

I wondered about using \setuphead[something][continue=yes] to fold the
first blue title pages onto the red title pages, but even if I can do that,
I think it would make things more difficult for getting the text right on
those pages.

Sorry for the long question!

Thank you,

--
Kate

* Re: Preventing double title pages for nested content
@ 2015-05-19 22:51 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-05-19 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 20.05.2015 um 00:34 schrieb Kate F <kate@elide.org>:
>
> Hello!
>
> I'm collating some UNIX-like manpages into a PDF.
> I'm structuring the content like so:
>
>  \setupcolors[state=start]
>
>  \definehead[Volume] [part] % red colour: man(1) section
>  \definehead[Library][part] % blue colour: library within section 3
>  \definehead[Manpage][chapter]
>
>  \setuphead[Volume,Library,Manpage][page=yes,number=no,placehead=yes]
>  \setuphead[Volume][color=red]
>  \setuphead[Library][color=blue]
>
>  \starttext
>    \placecontent[list={Volume,Library,Manpage}]
>
>    \startVolume[title=Section 1: Programs]
>        \dorecurse{3}{\startManpage[title=progxyz(1)] \input lorem \stopManpage}
>    \stopVolume
>
>    \startVolume[title=Section 2: Syscalls]
>        \dorecurse{3}{\startManpage[title=syscallxyz(1)] \input lorem
> \stopManpage}
>    \stopVolume
>
>    \startVolume[title=Section 3: Libraries]
>        \startLibrary[title=libjpeg]
>            \dorecurse{3}{\startManpage[title=jpegapi_a(3)] \input
> lorem \stopManpage}
>        \stopLibrary
>        \startLibrary[title=libpng]
>            \dorecurse{3}{\startManpage[title=pngapi_a(3)] \input
> lorem \stopManpage}
>        \stopLibrary
>        \startLibrary[title=libbmp]
>            \dorecurse{3}{\startManpage[title=bmpapi_a(3)] \input
> lorem \stopManpage}
>        \stopLibrary
>    \stopVolume
>
>    \startVolume[title=Section 4: Drivers]
>        \dorecurse{3}{\startManpage[title=drvxyz(1)] \input lorem \stopManpage}
>    \stopVolume
>
>    \startVolume[title=Section 7mk: Makefiles]
>        \dorecurse{3}{\startManpage[title=xyz.mk(1)] \input lorem \stopManpage}
>    \stopVolume
>  \stoptext
>
> There I have grouped Volume 3 manpages into libraries. This grouping only
> applies to Volume 3.
>
> I'd like a single "title" page for each Volume (which I show in red),
> except for section 3, where I'd like a title page for each Library
> (which I show in blue). So the pagination should look like:
>
>  toc S1 ... S2 ... libjpeg ...  libpng ... libbmp ... S4 ...
>
> Where S* there is a red title page, S3 is absent, and lib* are blue title pages.
> I'm trying to work out how best to do this.
>
> Would you recommend I hide Volume 3's title page?
> I think that must be the simplest way, but I don't know how to do it
> using a setup.
>
> My data is coming from XML, and I'd like to avoid having a special
> \startVolume for Volume 3, if I can. Although perhaps that could help.
>
> Are there any other ways which might be more sensible?
>
> I wondered about using \setuphead[something][continue=yes] to fold the
> first blue title pages onto the red title pages, but even if I can do that,
> I think it would make things more difficult for getting the text right on
> those pages.

Change your manpage headings to \chapter and test at the begin of each
new volume for the number of chapters (you can use the list mechanism
for this) in each volume.

%\setuphead[part][placehead=yes,after=\directsetup{chapterentries}]
\setuphead[part][placehead=empty,after=\directsetup{chapterentries}]

\startsetups[chapterentries]
  \determinelistcharacteristics[chapter]
  \ifcase\structurelistsize
    No chapter in this part.
  \or
    One chapter in this part.
  \else
    Two or more chapters in this part.
  \fi
\stopsetups

\starttext

\dorecurse{4}
  {\startpart[title=Part #1]
   \dorecurse{\ifcase#1\or 0\or 3\else 1\fi}
     {\startchapter[title=Chapter ##1]
	  \stopchapter}
   \stoppart}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Preventing double title pages for nested content
@ 2015-05-19 23:26   ` Kate F
From: Kate F @ 2015-05-19 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 May 2015 at 23:51, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> those pages.
>
> Change your manpage headings to \chapter and test at the begin of each
> new volume for the number of chapters (you can use the list mechanism
> for this) in each volume.
>
> %\setuphead[part][placehead=yes,after=\directsetup{chapterentries}]
> \setuphead[part][placehead=empty,after=\directsetup{chapterentries}]
>
> \startsetups[chapterentries]
>   \determinelistcharacteristics[chapter]
>   \ifcase\structurelistsize
>     No chapter in this part.
>   \or
>     One chapter in this part.
>   \else
>     Two or more chapters in this part.
>   \fi
> \stopsetups
>
> \starttext
>
> \dorecurse{4}
>   {\startpart[title=Part #1]
>    \dorecurse{\ifcase#1\or 0\or 3\else 1\fi}

Very interesting!

I don't want to use \chapter because I'm dealing with several types of
document, and so I'm trying to keep different things separate, so that
I don't confuse myself with all the setups. But I just converted your
example to use \definehead[Manpage] instead, and that seems to have
the same effect for \determinelistcharacteristics[Manpage].

Maybe I'm being unimaginative, but I don't see how you're suggesting I
use this technique to achieve the effect I'm after. Did you mean to
count Libraries rather than Manpages? Even then I'm not sure how to
apply the idea. (Especially as your example doesn't have the same
structure as mine.)

Sorry if my original description was unclear.

Thanks,

--

@ 2015-05-20 21:19     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-05-20 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> [...]
>>   \stoppart}
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> Wolfgang
>
> Very interesting!
>
> I don't want to use \chapter because I'm dealing with several types of
> document, and so I'm trying to keep different things separate, so that
> I don't confuse myself with all the setups. But I just converted your
> example to use \definehead[Manpage] instead, and that seems to have
> the same effect for \determinelistcharacteristics[Manpage].
>
> Maybe I'm being unimaginative, but I don't see how you're suggesting I
> use this technique to achieve the effect I'm after. Did you mean to
> count Libraries rather than Manpages? Even then I'm not sure how to
> apply the idea. (Especially as your example doesn't have the same
> structure as mine.)
>
> Sorry if my original description was unclear.

It doesn’t matter which name you use for the sections.

\definehead [Library] [part]
\definehead [Manpage] [chapter]

\setuphead
  [Library]
  [placehead=empty,
   before={\startmakeup[standard][align=middle,style=\ssd]},
   after={\directsetup{chapterentries}\stopmakeup}]

\startsetups[chapterentries]
	\determinelistcharacteristics[Manpage]
	\ifcase\structurelistsize
		No manpages for this libary.
	\or
		One manpage for this Library
	\else
		Two or more manpages for this library.
	\fi
\stopsetups

\starttext

\startLibrary[title=First Library]
	\startManpage[title=Manpage 1]
	\stopManpage
\stopLibrary

\startLibrary[title=First Library]
\stopLibrary

\startLibrary[title=First Library]
	\startManpage[title=Manpage 1]
	\stopManpage
	\startManpage[title=Manpage 2]
	\stopManpage
	\startManpage[title=Manpage 3]
	\stopManpage
\stopLibrary

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Preventing double title pages for nested content
@ 2015-05-20 22:36       ` Kate F
From: Kate F @ 2015-05-20 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20 May 2015 at 22:19, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> example to use \definehead[Manpage] instead, and that seems to have
>> the same effect for \determinelistcharacteristics[Manpage].
>>
>> Maybe I'm being unimaginative, but I don't see how you're suggesting I
>> use this technique to achieve the effect I'm after. Did you mean to
>> count Libraries rather than Manpages? Even then I'm not sure how to
>> apply the idea. (Especially as your example doesn't have the same
>> structure as mine.)
>>
>> Sorry if my original description was unclear.
>

> It doesn’t matter which name you use for the sections.
>
> \definehead [Library] [part]
> \definehead [Manpage] [chapter]
>
> \setuphead
>   [Library]
>   [placehead=empty,
>    before={\startmakeup[standard][align=middle,style=\ssd]},
>    after={\directsetup{chapterentries}\stopmakeup}]

Hi,

There's been a misunderstanding here.

You're showing a structure which is a two-deep hierarchy (Libraries
containing Manpages). That's not what the structure in my example is,
and you're showing something which I think is different to what I'm
asking for. (Or I just can't see how to apply the technique you're
illustrating)

The structure for my example is Volumes which contain either Libraries
*or* Manpages, and a Library contains Manpages. I'll draw out the tree
from my example again:
(this is the same as in my first email for this thread, but I'm
repeating it here for clarity)

[...]

Please look at Volume 3; you can see it contains some Libraries
(libjpeg, libpng, libbmp). The other Volumes do not contain Libraries;
they just contain Manpages directly. So the ToC is:

Volume 1: "Programs"       <-- I want a title page for this
    ... manpages for (1)
Volume 2: "Syscalls"       <-- I want a title page for this
    ... manpages for (2)
Volume 3: "Libraries"   <-- no title page for this!! Because this
Volume contains Libraries
    Library "libjpeg"       <-- I want a title page for this
        ... manpages for (3) libjpeg
    Library "libpng"       <-- I want a title page for this
        ... manpages for (3) libpng
   Library "libbmp"       <-- I want a title page for this
        ... manpages for (3) libbmp
Volume 4: "Drivers"       <-- I want a title page for this
    ... manpages for (4)
Volume 7: "Makefiles"       <-- I want a title page for this
    ... manpages for (7)

As I said in my original email, this grouping into libraries only
applies to Volume 3.

The effect I'm trying to achieve is to have a single title page before
each set of manpages. So I want a title page for "Programs",
"Syscalls", "libjpeg", "libpng", "libbmp", "Drivers", and "Makefiles".
But I do not want a title page for Volume 3 itself, "Libraries"
because that would be immediately followed by the title page for
libjpeg, and my aim is to avoid having two consecutive title pages. I
have indicated these with arrows above.

I hope that's clear. Sorry for repeating myself...

Thank you!

--

@ 2015-05-21  8:06         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-05-21  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 21.05.2015 um 00:36 schrieb Kate F <kate@elide.org>:
>
> Hi,
>
> There's been a misunderstanding here.
>
> You're showing a structure which is a two-deep hierarchy (Libraries
> containing Manpages). That's not what the structure in my example is,
> and you're showing something which I think is different to what I'm
> asking for. (Or I just can't see how to apply the technique you're
> illustrating)

You have to add just another level to my example, nothing more.

> [...]
>        ... manpages for (3) libbmp
> Volume 4: "Drivers"       <-- I want a title page for this
>    ... manpages for (4)
> Volume 7: "Makefiles"       <-- I want a title page for this
>    ... manpages for (7)
>
> As I said in my original email, this grouping into libraries only
> applies to Volume 3.
>
> The effect I'm trying to achieve is to have a single title page before
> each set of manpages. So I want a title page for "Programs",
> "Syscalls", "libjpeg", "libpng", "libbmp", "Drivers", and "Makefiles".
> But I do not want a title page for Volume 3 itself, "Libraries"
> because that would be immediately followed by the title page for
> libjpeg, and my aim is to avoid having two consecutive title pages. I
> have indicated these with arrows above.
>
> I hope that's clear. Sorry for repeating myself…

Sorry for resending nearly the same example for another time but it still does what you asked for.

\definehead [Volume]  [part]
\definehead [Library] [chapter]
\definehead [Manpage] [section]

\setuphead
  [Volume]
  [placehead=empty,
   after=\directsetup{libraryentries}]

\startsetups[libraryentries]
	\determinelistcharacteristics[Library]
	\ifnum\structurelistsize=0
		\startframed[frame=off,width=\textwidth,height=\dimexpr\textheight-\strutdp\relax,align={middle,lohi}]
			\placeheadtext[Volume]
		\stopframed
	\else
		% Hide the Volume title
	\fi
\stopsetups

\starttext

\placelist[Volume,Library,Manpage]

@ 2015-05-21 12:33           ` Kate F
From: Kate F @ 2015-05-21 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21 May 2015 at 09:06, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>    ... manpages for (4)
>> Volume 7: "Makefiles"       <-- I want a title page for this
>>    ... manpages for (7)
>>
>> As I said in my original email, this grouping into libraries only
>> applies to Volume 3.
>>
>> The effect I'm trying to achieve is to have a single title page before
>> each set of manpages. So I want a title page for "Programs",
>> "Syscalls", "libjpeg", "libpng", "libbmp", "Drivers", and "Makefiles".
>> But I do not want a title page for Volume 3 itself, "Libraries"
>> because that would be immediately followed by the title page for
>> libjpeg, and my aim is to avoid having two consecutive title pages. I
>> have indicated these with arrows above.
>>
>> I hope that's clear. Sorry for repeating myself…
>

> Sorry for resending nearly the same example for another time but it still does what you asked for.

But it doesn't...

You have a page for Volume 3 (which is made blank due to your
\ifnum\structurelistsize=0):

>> Volume 3: "Libraries"   <-- no title page for this!!

Instead, I'm trying to find how to not have this produce a page (or
some other way to achieve the same effect).

And you have no title pages for these:

>> Volume contains Libraries
>>    Library "libjpeg"       <-- I want a title page for this
>>        ... manpages for (3) libjpeg
>>    Library "libpng"       <-- I want a title page for this
>>        ... manpages for (3) libpng
>>   Library "libbmp"       <-- I want a title page for this

Of course these pages would be easy, using just the normal way, if the
page for Volume 3 can be not output somehow. But I don't know if
that's there's another way which I'm not aware of.

I'm trying to separate describing the effect I'm trying to achieve
(where I drew "<--" for each page I'd like to produce) vs. my idea for
implementing that effect (to somehow not produce a page for Volume 3,
and then to produce title pages for each Library), because there are
often surprising ways to do things which aren't what I'd thought of.

Thank you for taking the time with this,

--

@ 2015-05-21 21:09             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-05-21 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)