* Initials and short paragraph
@ 2017-06-09  5:05 Martin Oppegaard
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Martin Oppegaard @ 2017-06-09  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

When placing an initial and the paragraph is short, the initial is
laid over the next paragraph. Example:

\starttext
\placeinitial
Knuth writes:

\input knuth
\stoptext

Is there anything to do about this?

Regards,
Martin Oppegaard

* Re: Initials and short paragraph
@ 2017-06-20  9:46 ` Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2017-06-20  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Fri, 2017-06-09 at 06:05 +0100, Martin Oppegaard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When placing an initial and the paragraph is short, the initial is laid over the next paragraph.
> Example:
>
> \starttext
> \placeinitial
> Knuth writes:
>
> \input knuth
> \stoptext
>
> Is there anything to do about this?

- Make longer paragraphs.
- Don't use initials.

What kind of answer do you expect?

@ 2017-06-20 16:06 ` Rogers, Michael K
From: Rogers, Michael K @ 2017-06-20 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Perhaps this?:

\starttext
\placeinitial
Knuth writes:
\hfill\break
\input knuth
\stoptext

There may be a more ConTeXt-idiomatic way, in which case someone else will probably say.  Note that structurally the above combines "Knuth writes:" and the first text segment (up to the first blank line or \par) of knuth.tex into a single paragraph with some glue and a break between them.  You would lose any paragraph-formatting of the first segment of knuth.tex.  If there is any, you might have to do that by hand.

If you wanted to have the Knuth quote begin below the initial K, then someone else will have to answer.  I don't know off hand.

Cheers,

Michael

> On Jun 8, 2017, at 10:05 PM, Martin Oppegaard <martin.oppegaard@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> When placing an initial and the paragraph is short, the initial is laid over the next paragraph. Example:
>
> \starttext
> \placeinitial
> Knuth writes:
>
> \input knuth
> \stoptext
>
> Is there anything to do about this?
>
> Regards,
> Martin Oppegaard

________________________________

prohibited.

* Re: Initials and short paragraph
@ 2017-06-20 17:51 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-06-20 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 06/09/2017 07:05 AM, Martin Oppegaard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When placing an initial and the paragraph is short, the initial is
> laid over the next paragraph. Example:
>
> \starttext
> \placeinitial
> Knuth writes:
>
> \input knuth
> \stoptext
>
> Is there anything to do about this?

Hi Martin,

I guess initials make sense only when used inside a paragraph. It is
problematic when you have white space defined.

Having margin initials is also another approach. You may compare both
with the following sample:

    \setupwhitespace[medium]
    \setupinitial[location=margin]
    \starttext
    \placeinitial
    Knuth writes:

    \input knuth
    \setupinitial[location=text]
    \placeinitial
    Knuth writes:\\
    \input knuth
    \stoptext

I hope it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Initials and short paragraph
@ 2017-06-20 20:15   ` Martin Oppegaard
From: Martin Oppegaard @ 2017-06-20 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the suggestions! Is there a way to get the amount of horizontal
space the initial takes so that can be put in manually in front of the next
paragraph?

@ 2017-06-20 20:45     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-06-20 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 06/20/2017 10:15 PM, Martin Oppegaard wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions! Is there a way to get the amount of
> horizontal space the initial takes so that can be put in manually in
> front of the next paragraph?

Martin,

how about making the initial transparent?

    \definecolor[transparentblue][t=0, a=1]
    \setupwhitespace[medium]
    \starttext
    \placeinitial
    Knuth writes:

    \placeinitial \starteffect[hidden]K\stopeffect\input knuth
    \setupinitial[color=transparentblue]

    \placeinitial K\input knuth
    \stoptext

The sample contains two methods.