* Update overwrites configuration
@ 2014-02-25  2:55 Thangalin
From: Thangalin @ 2014-02-25  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

1. Edit .../tex/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua
2. Set TEXMFCACHE = "/var/cache/context/texmf-cache"
3. Run first-setup.sh to update ConTeXt.

Expected Results
TEXMFCACHE remains "/var/cache/context/texmf-cache"

Actual Results
TEXMFCACHE reverts to "$SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-cache"

If the values have been changed, then:

(a) updates should not overwrite the new values;
(b) an option to prevent overwriting new values on upgrade should be available;
(c) user should be prompted to overwrite changed configuration values;
(d) user should be prompted to accept overwriting each new value; or
(e) a backup of the configuration file should be made, followed by a
message that the changes have been overwritten and previous values
archived.

* Re: Update overwrites configuration
@ 2014-02-25  3:23 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2014-02-25  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 3:55 AM, Thangalin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1. Edit .../tex/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua
> 2. Set TEXMFCACHE = "/var/cache/context/texmf-cache"
> 3. Run first-setup.sh to update ConTeXt.

Create a file texmfcnf.lua next to setuptex for example (that is: in
root of the installation) and set the variable there.

That is:

return {
  content = {
    variables = {
      TEXMFCACHE = "/var/cache/context/texmf-cache",
    },
  },
}

> Expected Results
> TEXMFCACHE remains "/var/cache/context/texmf-cache"
>
> Actual Results
> TEXMFCACHE reverts to "$SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-cache"

No, reverting to the original value is expected. If you want to modify
some variables, just place texmfcnf.lua (or texmf.cnf) somewhere else
and only put the differences there. The allowed locations for
texmfcnf.lua are determined by the variable TEXMFCNF being set in
texk/kpathsea/texmf.cnf in luatex sources:

TEXMFCNF = {\
$SELFAUTOLOC,\
$SELFAUTOLOC/share/texmf-local/web2c,\
$SELFAUTOLOC/share/texmf-dist/web2c,\
$SELFAUTOLOC/share/texmf/web2c,\
$SELFAUTOLOC/texmf-local/web2c,\
$SELFAUTOLOC/texmf-dist/web2c,\
$SELFAUTOLOC/texmf/web2c,\
\
$SELFAUTODIR,\
$SELFAUTODIR/share/texmf-local/web2c,\
$SELFAUTODIR/share/texmf-dist/web2c,\
$SELFAUTODIR/share/texmf/web2c,\
$SELFAUTODIR/texmf-local/web2c,\
$SELFAUTODIR/texmf-dist/web2c,\
$SELFAUTODIR/texmf/web2c,\
\
$SELFAUTOGRANDPARENT/texmf-local/web2c,\
$SELFAUTOPARENT,\
\
$SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf-local/web2c,\
$SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf-dist/web2c,\
$SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf/web2c,\
$SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-local/web2c,\
$SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-dist/web2c,\
$SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf/web2c\
}

> (c) user should be prompted to overwrite changed configuration values;
> (d) user should be prompted to accept overwriting each new value; or
> (e) a backup of the configuration file should be made, followed by a
> message that the changes have been overwritten and previous values
> archived.

No changes that you make to texmf/, texmf-context/, texmf-modules/ or
texmf-yourplatform/ will ever be preserved. You need to use other
texmf trees for that (like texmf-local for example).

Mojca

* Re: Update overwrites configuration
@ 2014-02-25  6:53   ` Thangalin
From: Thangalin @ 2014-02-25  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Custom_Configuration

Thank you, Mojca.

I couldn't find an existing configuration wiki page that discussed the
items in your email, Mojca. If configuring directories and variables
exists on the wiki, please let me know where to find it and I'll merge
the documentation.

* Re: Update overwrites configuration
@ 2014-02-25 10:49     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2014-02-25 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 7:53 AM, Thangalin wrote:
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Custom_Configuration
>
> Thank you, Mojca.
>
> I couldn't find an existing configuration wiki page that discussed the
> items in your email, Mojca. If configuring directories and variables
> exists on the wiki, please let me know where to find it and I'll merge
> the documentation.

An old related page is at
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/texmf.cnf

The file texmf.cnf is used by pdfTeX, XeTeX (Mark II), MetaPost and
basically all other engines, while texmfcnf.lua is used by
ConTeXt+LuaTeX (Make IV, Mark VI).

Mojca

* Re: Update overwrites configuration
@ 2014-02-26 20:46       ` Thangalin
From: Thangalin @ 2014-02-26 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Custom_Configuration is now merged with
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/texmf.cnf.

Please review, correct anything I might have missed, and then delete
the texmf.cnf page (the new page is a bit more search-friendly as the
words "configure" and "directory" are present).