* Strange behaviour with spacing in itemization using "columns" vs "horizontal".
@ 2017-03-28 23:34 cryo shock
From: cryo shock @ 2017-03-28 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi folks,

I noticed a difference in how spacing is set after an itemization.
I have the following example:

-----------------------------
\starttext

\startitemize[packed, joinedup, columns, two]
  \startitem
    top left item
  \stopitem
  \startitem
    bottom left item
  \stopitem
  \startitem
    top right item
  \stopitem
  \startitem
    bottom right item
  \stopitem
\stopitemize
Notice the size of the blank space?

\startitemize[packed, joinedup, horizontal, two]
  \startitem
    top left item
  \stopitem
  \startitem
    top right item
  \stopitem
  \startitem
    bottom left item
  \stopitem
  \startitem
    bottom right item
  \stopitem
\stopitemize
Notice the size of the blank space?

\stoptext
---------------------------------

Both itemizations are the same except item order and using "columns" in the
first one and "horizontal" in the second. Yet the spacing after the first
itemization seems not right. Or do I oversee something?

Greetings, Sebastian

* Re: Strange behaviour with spacing in itemization using "columns" vs "horizontal".
@ 2017-03-29 17:12 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-03-29 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 3/29/2017 1:34 AM, cryo shock wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I noticed a difference in how spacing is set after an itemization.
> I have the following example:
>
> -----------------------------
> \starttext
>
> \startitemize[packed, joinedup, columns, two]
>   \startitem
>     top left item
>   \stopitem
>   \startitem
>     bottom left item
>   \stopitem
>   \startitem
>     top right item
>   \stopitem
>   \startitem
>     bottom right item
>   \stopitem
> \stopitemize
> Notice the size of the blank space?
>
> \startitemize[packed, joinedup, horizontal, two]
>   \startitem
>     top left item
>   \stopitem
>   \startitem
>     top right item
>   \stopitem
>   \startitem
>     bottom left item
>   \stopitem
>   \startitem
>     bottom right item
>   \stopitem
> \stopitemize
> Notice the size of the blank space?
>
> \stoptext
> ---------------------------------
>
> Both itemizations are the same except item order and using "columns" in
> the first one and "horizontal" in the second. Yet the spacing after the
> first itemization seems not right. Or do I oversee something?

they use different mechanisms

- columns switches to columns mode so there we have two columns with a
distance and items can span multiple lines

- horizontal divides the width in (in this case) two equal sized boxes
so there is no distance involved and no breaking across lines (a mixed
variant is probably not too hard to implement)

* Re: Strange behaviour with spacing in itemization using "columns" vs "horizontal".
@ 2017-03-29 17:31 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-03-29 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/29/2017 1:34 AM, cryo shock wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I noticed a difference in how spacing is set after an itemization.
> I have the following example:
>
> -----------------------------
> \starttext
>
> \startitemize[packed, joinedup, columns, two]
>   \startitem
>     top left item
>   \stopitem
>   \startitem
>     bottom left item
>   \stopitem
>   \startitem
>     top right item
>   \stopitem
>   \startitem
>     bottom right item
>   \stopitem
> \stopitemize
> Notice the size of the blank space?

btw, you get better vertical spacing with:

\setupitemgroup[grid=yes]

i'll fix that

@ 2017-03-29 19:37   ` cryo shock
From: cryo shock @ 2017-03-29 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Hans,

one could also \blank[medium] after the first (columns) variant but then
again the items seem not to sit on the grid which you can check with
\showgrid:

\showgrid

\startitemize[packed, joinedup, columns, two]
  \startitem
    top left item
  \stopitem
  \startitem
    bottom left item
  \stopitem
  \startitem
    top right item
  \stopitem
  \startitem
    bottom right item
  \stopitem
\stopitemize
\blank[medium]
Notice the size of the blank space?

\startitemize[packed, joinedup, horizontal, two]
  \startitem
    top left item
  \stopitem
  \startitem
    top right item
  \stopitem
  \startitem
    bottom left item
  \stopitem
  \startitem
    bottom right item
  \stopitem
\stopitemize
Notice the size of the blank space?

\stoptext

I'm just trying to make sure that you are aware of that

Cheers, Sebastian

@ 2017-04-05 22:19     ` cryo shock
From: cryo shock @ 2017-04-05 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)