* Quotation marks
@ 2019-07-19 15:54 Dmitry Starostin
From: Dmitry Starostin @ 2019-07-19 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I understand it might have been deliberately and for various reasons, but
ConTeXt has no analogue for {``} and {''} for quotes. \quotation is a
replacement, but it is awkward if you write a draft in ConTeXt and make the
final variant in pdfLatex. Is there a ready solution for the quotation
marks as marked out in the text? Or one needs to write his own macro for
this?

* Re: Quotation marks
@ 2019-07-19 16:21 ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2019-07-19 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 18:54:08 +0300
Dmitry Starostin <starostin.dmitry@gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand it might have been deliberately and for various reasons,
> but ConTeXt has no analogue for {``} and {''} for quotes. \quotation
> is a replacement, but it is awkward if you write a draft in ConTeXt
> and make the final variant in pdfLatex. Is there a ready solution for
> the quotation marks as marked out in the text? Or one needs to write
> his own macro for this?

Write a macro in pdfLatex.

(You can always use utf-8:
“”
«  »
„“
etc. as appropriate)

Alan

* Re: Quotation marks
@ 2019-07-19 17:54   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-07-19 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/19/2019 6:21 PM, Alan Braslau wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 18:54:08 +0300
> Dmitry Starostin <starostin.dmitry@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I understand it might have been deliberately and for various reasons,
>> but ConTeXt has no analogue for {``} and {''} for quotes. \quotation
>> is a replacement, but it is awkward if you write a draft in ConTeXt
>> and make the final variant in pdfLatex. Is there a ready solution for
>> the quotation marks as marked out in the text? Or one needs to write
>> his own macro for this?
>
> Write a macro in pdfLatex.
>
> (You can always use utf-8:
> “”
> «  »
> „“
> etc. as appropriate)
Quotes are rather language dependent so therefore we use \quotation.

As Alan says, you can always define a macro for latex:

\def\quotation#1{``#1''}

doing that for context is not a good idea. (Also because future versions
might issue an error when such core macros are redefined.)

Hans

* Re: Quotation marks
@ 2019-07-19 23:58     ` Atsuhito Kohda
From: Atsuhito Kohda @ 2019-07-19 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,
I think in the same way as Dmitry.
It might be obsolete but, as far as I searched, under the setup
\definefontfeature [texligatures] [tlig=yes]
\feature[+][texligatures]
{''} produces right quotation correctly but left quotation seems
not correct (I don't know why).

It is true quotes are language dependent but sometime we need
language independent quotes. So it will be  nice if we can use
{``}, {''} and \quotation at the same time.

Best regards,
Atsuhito Kohda

* Re: Quotation marks
@ 2019-07-20  0:07       ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2019-07-20  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2019-07-20  0:57         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-07-20  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/20/2019 2:07 AM, Alan Braslau wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 08:58:27 +0900
> Atsuhito Kohda <atsu10.kohda@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It is true quotes are language dependent but sometime we need
>> language independent quotes. So it will be  nice if we can use
>> {``}, {''} and \quotation at the same time
>
> “”

indeed. `` and '' are (in tex) pseudo ligatures and not really a
portable standard, certainly not now that we have utf8 as input (in a
similar fashion users who need accented characters will not use \"u and
\'a any more)

Hans

* Re: Quotation marks
@ 2019-07-20 13:15           ` Denis Maier
From: Denis Maier @ 2019-07-20 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Another option: Use the fabulous csquotes-package and map \quotation to
\enquote:

=>
```
\usepackage{csquotes}
\let\quotation=\enquote
```

Denis

Am Sa., 20. Juli 2019 um 02:57 Uhr schrieb Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>:

> On 7/20/2019 2:07 AM, Alan Braslau wrote:
> > On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 08:58:27 +0900
> > Atsuhito Kohda <atsu10.kohda@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> It is true quotes are language dependent but sometime we need
> >> language independent quotes. So it will be  nice if we can use
> >> {``}, {''} and \quotation at the same time
> >
> > “”
>
> indeed. `` and '' are (in tex) pseudo ligatures and not really a
> portable standard, certainly not now that we have utf8 as input (in a
> similar fashion users who need accented characters will not use \"u and
> \'a any more)
>
> Hans

* Re: Quotation marks
@ 2019-07-20 18:36       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2019-07-20 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Atsuhito Kohda schrieb am 20.07.2019 um 01:58:
> Hi all,
> I think in the same way as Dmitry.
> It might be obsolete but, as far as I searched, under the setup
> \definefontfeature [texligatures] [tlig=yes]
> \feature[+][texligatures]
> {''} produces right quotation correctly but left quotation seems
> not correct (I don't know why).
You're wrong here because ' is replaced with a apostrophe and what
you see are just two and the have a different space between then than
a normal double quotation mark.

%%%% begin example
\starttext

\switchtobodyfont[100pt]

“

”

’

''

\stoptext
%%%% end example

Wolfgang

* Re: Quotation marks
@ 2019-07-20 23:09           ` Atsuhito Kohda
From: Atsuhito Kohda @ 2019-07-20 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all, thanks for all replies.

> indeed. `` and '' are (in tex) pseudo ligatures and not really a
> portable standard, certainly not now that we have utf8 as input (in a
> similar fashion users who need accented characters will not use \"u and
> \'a any more)

In fact, I don't know how to input left, right double quotation
marks and accented characters directly with keyboard.
It is easier for me to input {``}, {''} and \"u etc than
to input utf8 characters with keyboard.
I don't say to make tex-style ligature available by default
but only to make it available under an appropriate setup.
Even this is not suitable for ConTeXt?

Best regards,
Atsuhito Kohda

* Re: Quotation marks