* ConTeXt on linux-armhf
@ 2016-08-05 22:19 Jose Luis Arellano
From: Jose Luis Arellano @ 2016-08-05 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi guys, i need some help. I have installed the linux-armhf version of
ConTeXt on my android phone via android deploy, the installation was smooth
but when i try to create any document, it compile fine, but the resulting
document seems to be corrupted. You can see the result in the attached file.
Thanks in advance.

MWE
%%%%%%
\starttext
\input davis
\stoptext
%%%%%%
ppa

[-- Attachment #2: test.pdf --]

* Re: ConTeXt on linux-armhf
@ 2016-08-05 22:44 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2016-08-05 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6 August 2016 at 00:19, Jose Luis Arellano wrote:
> Hi guys, i need some help. I have installed the linux-armhf version of
> ConTeXt on my android phone via android deploy, the installation was smooth
> but when i try to create any document, it compile fine, but the resulting
> document seems to be corrupted. You can see the result in the attached file.
> Thanks in advance.

This might be a bit tricky to debug.

I can try to update the binaries to the very latest version (you
should be able to get them in a few hours), but the binaries are
currently compiled on Raspberry PI and if Android happens to be
incompatible to some extent, then I have no clue where to start
looking.

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt on linux-armhf
@ 2016-08-05 22:54   ` Jose Luis Arellano
From: Jose Luis Arellano @ 2016-08-05 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the answer Mojca, i will wait.
BTW, this is the version that am using:

ConTeXt Process Management 0.63
current version: 2016.07.18 16:46

> On 6 August 2016 at 00:19, Jose Luis Arellano wrote:
> > Hi guys, i need some help. I have installed the linux-armhf version of
> > ConTeXt on my android phone via android deploy, the installation was
> smooth
> > but when i try to create any document, it compile fine, but the resulting
> > document seems to be corrupted. You can see the result in the attached
> file.
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> This might be a bit tricky to debug.
>
> I can try to update the binaries to the very latest version (you
> should be able to get them in a few hours), but the binaries are
> currently compiled on Raspberry PI and if Android happens to be
> incompatible to some extent, then I have no clue where to start
> looking.
>
> Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt on linux-armhf
@ 2016-08-07  3:31     ` Jose Luis Arellano
From: Jose Luis Arellano @ 2016-08-07  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,
I want to report that ConTeXt from texlive-core
<https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/any/texlive-core> ARM package seems to
works correctly on chroot Linux in Android. Current version is 2016.05.17
19:20
I don't really know what am missing here, maybe my installation method:

mkdir $HOME/context
cd $HOME/context
rsync -av rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/first-setup.sh .
sh ./first-setup.sh --modules=all --engine=luatex
. /Users/$HOME/context/tex/setuptex
context --generate

I would really like to perform a clean install of Standalone ConTeXt.
Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

> Thanks for the answer Mojca, i will wait.
> BTW, this is the version that am using:
>
> ConTeXt Process Management 0.63
> current version: 2016.07.18 16:46

> :
>
>> On 6 August 2016 at 00:19, Jose Luis Arellano wrote:
>> > Hi guys, i need some help. I have installed the linux-armhf version of
>> > ConTeXt on my android phone via android deploy, the installation was
>> smooth
>> > but when i try to create any document, it compile fine, but the
>> resulting
>> > document seems to be corrupted. You can see the result in the attached
>> file.
>> > Thanks in advance.
>>
>> This might be a bit tricky to debug.
>>
>> I can try to update the binaries to the very latest version (you
>> should be able to get them in a few hours), but the binaries are
>> currently compiled on Raspberry PI and if Android happens to be
>> incompatible to some extent, then I have no clue where to start
>> looking.
>>
>> Mojca
>> _______________________
>> the Wiki!
>>
>> maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / http://www.ntg.nl/mailman/list
>> info/ntg-context
>> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net
>> _______________________

* Re: ConTeXt on linux-armhf
@ 2016-08-07  8:21       ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2016-08-07  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08/07/2016 05:31 AM, Jose Luis Arellano wrote:
> Hi all,
> [...]
> mkdir $HOME/context
> cd $HOME/context
> rsync -av rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/first-setup.sh
> <http://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/first-setup.sh> .
> sh ./first-setup.sh --modules=all --engine=luatex
> . /Users/$HOME/context/tex/setuptex
> context --generate
>
> I would really like to perform a clean install of Standalone ConTeXt.
> Suggestions?

Hi Jose Luis,

I think your last command should read:

    mtxrun --generate

I hope it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: ConTeXt on linux-armhf
@ 2016-08-07 12:14       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2016-08-07 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7 August 2016 at 05:31, Jose Luis Arellano wrote:
> Hi all,
> I want to report that ConTeXt from texlive-core ARM package seems to works
> correctly on chroot Linux in Android. Current version is 2016.05.17 19:20
> I don't really know what am missing here

The binaries should have been updated some time yesterday.

There are only two things that come to my mind.

- either you fetched the binaries for armhf and your computer requeres armel
- or there are some subtle differences between the two armhf platforms
(I compile the binaries on the latest raspbian)

What is the PATH of TeX Live, do the binaries come from armel or armhf?

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt on linux-armhf
@ 2016-08-08  4:53         ` Jose Luis Arellano
From: Jose Luis Arellano @ 2016-08-08  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mojca,

The binaries comes from armhf (your build), as you can see in logs
attached. While the version of Tex Live installed is
texlive-bin-2016.41290-5-armv7h.
Maybe the problem is related to architecture of cpu, the latest raspbian
use ARMv8.

> On 7 August 2016 at 05:31, Jose Luis Arellano wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I want to report that ConTeXt from texlive-core ARM package seems to
> works
> > correctly on chroot Linux in Android. Current version is 2016.05.17 19
> :20
> > I don't really know what am missing here
>
> The binaries should have been updated some time yesterday.
>
> There are only two things that come to my mind.
>
> - either you fetched the binaries for armhf and your computer requeres
> armel
> - or there are some subtle differences between the two armhf platforms
> (I compile the binaries on the latest raspbian)
>
> What is the PATH of TeX Live, do the binaries come from armel or armhf?
>
> Mojca

[-- Attachment #2: Tex.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 23886 bytes --]

* Re: ConTeXt on linux-armhf
@ 2016-08-08  7:46           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2016-08-08  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8 August 2016 at 06:53, Jose Luis Arellano wrote:
> Hi Mojca,
>
> The binaries comes from armhf (your build), as you can see in logs attached.
> While the version of Tex Live installed is texlive-bin-2016.41290-5-armv7h.

armv7h looks like "armhf".

But I checked the logs and you are most likely using the binaries that
were compiled for Arch Linux and your machine (CPU) specifically
rather than the ones that are compiled by the TeX Live team.

Can you try replacing the luatex binary in ConTeXt distribution with
the binaries from
    http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/bin/
please try once with armel-linux/luatex and once with
armhf-linux/luatex. (You can fetch the binary via SVN or via viewvc,
but make sure that the downloaded file will be executable.)

I'm curious whether that binary works for you (try with armhf-linux first).

> Maybe the problem is related to architecture of cpu, the latest raspbian use
> ARMv8.

The exact architecture depends on hardware rather than software. I
guess we have RPi2 B (Hans must know). For some reason I cannot access
the machine at the moment, but I guess that RPi2+ is also armv7 (ARM
Cortex-A7). I'm not 100% sure though.

The question is whether an older version of OS would help in any way.

In any case you should be able to just copy the luatex from your
distro to the minimals and get a working PDF.

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt on linux-armhf
@ 2016-08-08  8:14             ` Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2016-08-08  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

as far as I know, there is no such thing like the standard ARM chip.  The ARM company designs chips to fit the needs of their customers.  Therefore, the Raspberry Pi processor and the processor in a smartphone may have a very different instruction set.

The Wikipedia page for the ARM Cortex-A7 (Raspberry Pi 2 Model B) lists several other chips implementing the Cortex-A7 instruction set.  I would only guarantee compatibility with these chips if the binaries were built for this architecture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_Cortex-A7

Another issue I could think of is the filesystem format.  This is very heterogeneous among Android vendors.  I think Samsung uses f2fs, HTC uses YAFFS, and LG uses ext4.  It could be that the luatex binary runs on some kind of compatibility layer within Android which is either lacking correct filesystem syscalls or is doing them wrong.

These are just ideas.  I hope it helps anyway.
Cheers, Henri

On 08/08/2016 09:46 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 8 August 2016 at 06:53, Jose Luis Arellano wrote:
>> Hi Mojca,
>>
>> The binaries comes from armhf (your build), as you can see in logs attached.
>> While the version of Tex Live installed is texlive-bin-2016.41290-5-armv7h.
>
> armv7h looks like "armhf".
>
> But I checked the logs and you are most likely using the binaries that
> were compiled for Arch Linux and your machine (CPU) specifically
> rather than the ones that are compiled by the TeX Live team.
>
> Can you try replacing the luatex binary in ConTeXt distribution with
> the binaries from
>     http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/bin/
> please try once with armel-linux/luatex and once with
> armhf-linux/luatex. (You can fetch the binary via SVN or via viewvc,
> but make sure that the downloaded file will be executable.)
>
> I'm curious whether that binary works for you (try with armhf-linux first).
>
>> Maybe the problem is related to architecture of cpu, the latest raspbian use
>> ARMv8.
>
> The exact architecture depends on hardware rather than software. I
> guess we have RPi2 B (Hans must know). For some reason I cannot access
> the machine at the moment, but I guess that RPi2+ is also armv7 (ARM
> Cortex-A7). I'm not 100% sure though.
>
> The question is whether an older version of OS would help in any way.
>
> In any case you should be able to just copy the luatex from your
> distro to the minimals and get a working PDF.
>
> Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt on linux-armhf
@ 2016-08-08 19:16               ` Jose Luis Arellano
From: Jose Luis Arellano @ 2016-08-08 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, if i use the binary from
http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/bin/armel-linux/ (Revision 41089) i
get "Segmentation fault".
However, the binary from
http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/bin/armhf-linux/ (Revision 41117)
seems to work perfectly fine.
Thanks guys.

> Hi,
>
> as far as I know, there is no such thing like the standard ARM chip.  The
> ARM company designs chips to fit the needs of their customers.  Therefore,
> the Raspberry Pi processor and the processor in a smartphone may have a
> very different instruction set.
>
> The Wikipedia page for the ARM Cortex-A7 (Raspberry Pi 2 Model B) lists
> several other chips implementing the Cortex-A7 instruction set.  I would
> only guarantee compatibility with these chips if the binaries were built
> for this architecture.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_Cortex-A7
>
> Another issue I could think of is the filesystem format.  This is very
> heterogeneous among Android vendors.  I think Samsung uses f2fs, HTC uses
> YAFFS, and LG uses ext4.  It could be that the luatex binary runs on some
> kind of compatibility layer within Android which is either lacking correct
> filesystem syscalls or is doing them wrong.
>
> These are just ideas.  I hope it helps anyway.
> Cheers, Henri
>
> On 08/08/2016 09:46 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> > On 8 August 2016 at 06:53, Jose Luis Arellano wrote:
> >> Hi Mojca,
> >>
> >> The binaries comes from armhf (your build), as you can see in logs
> attached.
> >> While the version of Tex Live installed is texlive-bin-2016.41290-5
> -armv7h.
> >
> > armv7h looks like "armhf".
> >
> > But I checked the logs and you are most likely using the binaries that
> > were compiled for Arch Linux and your machine (CPU) specifically
> > rather than the ones that are compiled by the TeX Live team.
> >
> > Can you try replacing the luatex binary in ConTeXt distribution with
> > the binaries from
> >     http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/bin/
> > please try once with armel-linux/luatex and once with
> > armhf-linux/luatex. (You can fetch the binary via SVN or via viewvc,
> > but make sure that the downloaded file will be executable.)
> >
> > I'm curious whether that binary works for you (try with armhf-linux
> first).
> >
> >> Maybe the problem is related to architecture of cpu, the latest
> raspbian use
> >> ARMv8.
> >
> > The exact architecture depends on hardware rather than software. I
> > guess we have RPi2 B (Hans must know). For some reason I cannot access
> > the machine at the moment, but I guess that RPi2+ is also armv7 (ARM
> > Cortex-A7). I'm not 100% sure though.
> >
> > The question is whether an older version of OS would help in any way.
> >
> > In any case you should be able to just copy the luatex from your
> > distro to the minimals and get a working PDF.
> >
> > Mojca
> _______________________

* Re: ConTeXt on linux-armhf
@ 2016-08-08 19:42                 ` Jose Luis Arellano
From: Jose Luis Arellano @ 2016-08-08 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have performed a clean installation of ConTeXt Standalone beta and when i
try to compile i get this:

error loading file: lang-txt.lua (aborting)
mtx-context     | error, no format found with name: cont-en, aborting

* Re: ConTeXt on linux-armhf
@ 2016-08-08 20:29                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-08-08 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 8/8/2016 9:42 PM, Jose Luis Arellano wrote:
> I have performed a clean installation of ConTeXt Standalone beta and
> when i try to compile i get this:
>
> error loading file: lang-txt.lua (aborting)
> mtx-context     | error, no format found with name: cont-en, aborting

i'd uploaded a bad zip but just uploaded a correct one ... so best run
first-setup again in a while

Hans

* Re: ConTeXt on linux-armhf
@ 2016-08-08 23:09                 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2016-08-08 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8 August 2016 at 21:16, Jose Luis Arellano wrote:
> Well, if i use the binary from
> http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/bin/armel-linux/ (Revision 41089) i
> get "Segmentation fault".

This is more or less expected.

> However, the binary from
> http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/bin/armhf-linux/ (Revision 41117)
> seems to work perfectly fine.

In that case we should be able to find a solution. According to
    https://www.tug.org/texlive/build.html
that binary was built on RPi as well, so there's no reason why we
couldn't reproduce a working binary. There are two possible
explanations:
- different hardware and/or software ("fixable")
- some bug in a recent version of LuaTeX

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt on linux-armhf
@ 2016-08-30  0:51                   ` Jose Luis Arellano
From: Jose Luis Arellano @ 2016-08-30  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)