* mptopdf missing
@ 2011-11-28 20:44 Ernesto Posse
From: Ernesto Posse @ 2011-11-28 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi. I have a fresh installation of ConTeXt on Ubuntu 11.10, straight
from Ubuntu's repository (version 2011.05.18.20110627-1) but the
mptopdf script seems to be missing, and mtxrun doesn't show any
available scripts. What could be the problem?

[eposse@flamenco:~/Tests/latex] > mptopdf
mptopdf: command not found
[eposse@flamenco:~/Tests/latex] > mtxrun --script

[eposse@flamenco:~/Tests/latex] >

In synaptic's package manager I can see that the following files where
installed, but not the actual script...

/usr/share/texmf/tex/mptopdf
/usr/share/texmf/tex/mptopdf/config
/usr/share/texmf/tex/mptopdf/config/mptopdf.ini

Thanks

--
Ernesto Posse

Modelling and Analysis in Software Engineering
School of Computing
Queen's University - Kingston, Ontario, Canada

* Re: mptopdf missing
@ 2011-11-29 16:44 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-11-29 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 21:44, Ernesto Posse <eposse@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi. I have a fresh installation of ConTeXt on Ubuntu 11.10, straight
> from Ubuntu's repository (version 2011.05.18.20110627-1) but the
> mptopdf script seems to be missing, and mtxrun doesn't show any
> available scripts. What could be the problem?

I would suggest to ask the Ubuntu maintainer of TeX Live package. I
can tell you that mptopdf is a different package in TeX Live 2011, but
ConTeXt should have a dependency on that package. What exactly Ubuntu
did on their system ... I have no idea. The developer is free to ask
questions here, but in principle we cannot help you much unless some
Ubuntu freak speaks up.

Mojca

* Re: mptopdf missing
@ 2011-11-29 17:07   ` Ernesto Posse
From: Ernesto Posse @ 2011-11-29 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks,

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 21:44, Ernesto Posse <eposse@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi. I have a fresh installation of ConTeXt on Ubuntu 11.10, straight
>> from Ubuntu's repository (version 2011.05.18.20110627-1) but the
>> mptopdf script seems to be missing, and mtxrun doesn't show any
>> available scripts. What could be the problem?
>
> I would suggest to ask the Ubuntu maintainer of TeX Live package. I
> can tell you that mptopdf is a different package in TeX Live 2011, but
> ConTeXt should have a dependency on that package. What exactly Ubuntu
> did on their system ... I have no idea. The developer is free to ask
> questions here, but in principle we cannot help you much unless some
> Ubuntu freak speaks up.

I thought that mptopdf was part of ConTeXt... to is it part of TeX Live instead?

Another question:  when I run mtxrun --script I obtain nothing:

[eposse@flamenco:~/Tests/latex] > mtxrun --script

[eposse@flamenco:~/Tests/latex] >

My question is: shouldn't this return a list of available scripts?

Thanks.

@ 2011-11-29 17:23     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-11-29 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 18:07, Ernesto Posse <eposse@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> I thought that mptopdf was part of ConTeXt... to is it part of TeX Live instead?

It is, but in (original) TeX Live it is packaged separately, so that
LaTeX users can run it without having to install ConTeXt.

> Another question:  when I run mtxrun --script I obtain nothing:
>
> [eposse@flamenco:~/Tests/latex] > mtxrun --script
>
> [eposse@flamenco:~/Tests/latex] >
>
> My question is: shouldn't this return a list of available scripts?

It should according to documentation, but it doesn't work for me
either. Most probably it was broken by accident and nobody noticed
that since May or even longer.

Mojca

* Re: mptopdf missing
@ 2011-11-29 17:51     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-11-29 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29-11-2011 18:07, Ernesto Posse wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Mojca Miklavec
> <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 21:44, Ernesto Posse<eposse@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Hi. I have a fresh installation of ConTeXt on Ubuntu 11.10, straight
>>> from Ubuntu's repository (version 2011.05.18.20110627-1) but the
>>> mptopdf script seems to be missing, and mtxrun doesn't show any
>>> available scripts. What could be the problem?
>>
>> I would suggest to ask the Ubuntu maintainer of TeX Live package. I
>> can tell you that mptopdf is a different package in TeX Live 2011, but
>> ConTeXt should have a dependency on that package. What exactly Ubuntu
>> did on their system ... I have no idea. The developer is free to ask
>> questions here, but in principle we cannot help you much unless some
>> Ubuntu freak speaks up.
>
> I thought that mptopdf was part of ConTeXt... to is it part of TeX Live instead?

It is part of context but as context moves on (mkiv) no user will use
mptopdf as (1) mp processing is built into the core, and (2) fo rstand
alone graphics the mkiv related context and metapost scripts can do the
same as mptopdf.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: mptopdf missing
@ 2011-11-29 19:36       ` Ernesto Posse
From: Ernesto Posse @ 2011-11-29 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 29-11-2011 18:07, Ernesto Posse wrote:
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Mojca Miklavec
>> <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> I would suggest to ask the Ubuntu maintainer of TeX Live package. I
>>> can tell you that mptopdf is a different package in TeX Live 2011, but
>>> ConTeXt should have a dependency on that package. What exactly Ubuntu
>>> did on their system ... I have no idea. The developer is free to ask
>>> questions here, but in principle we cannot help you much unless some
>>> Ubuntu freak speaks up.
>>

>> I thought that mptopdf was part of ConTeXt... to is it part of TeX Live
>> instead?
>

> It is part of context but as context moves on (mkiv) no user will use
> mptopdf as (1) mp processing is built into the core, and (2) fo rstand alone
> graphics the mkiv related context and metapost scripts can do the same as
> mptopdf.

I'm using it for stand-alone graphics, to be included in a latex file,
to be compiled with pdflatex. In short, I have a diagram in mp, and I
used to do the following:

mpost diagram.mp
mptopdf diagram.1

My understanding is that the .1 file generated by mpost is actually an
.eps file, but pdflatex doesn't accept it, and that's why I used
mptopdf. I do not see any options in either mpost or context that
would allow me to do that. How could I use any of these to get a pdf?

@ 2011-11-29 20:45         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-11-29 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29-11-2011 20:36, Ernesto Posse wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Hans Hagen<pragma@wxs.nl>  wrote:
>> On 29-11-2011 18:07, Ernesto Posse wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks,

>>> I thought that mptopdf was part of ConTeXt... to is it part of TeX Live
>>> instead?
>>

>> It is part of context but as context moves on (mkiv) no user will use
>> mptopdf as (1) mp processing is built into the core, and (2) fo rstand alone
>> graphics the mkiv related context and metapost scripts can do the same as
>> mptopdf.
>
> I'm using it for stand-alone graphics, to be included in a latex file,
> to be compiled with pdflatex. In short, I have a diagram in mp, and I
> used to do the following:
>
> mpost diagram.mp
> mptopdf diagram.1
>
> My understanding is that the .1 file generated by mpost is actually an
> ..eps file, but pdflatex doesn't accept it, and that's why I used
> mptopdf. I do not see any options in either mpost or context that
> would allow me to do that. How could I use any of these to get a pdf?

what happens if you rename the .1 to .mps? inclusion of mp in pdftex
should work ok in latex (as it uses the mp to pdf converter that is also
used in mptopdf)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: mptopdf missing
@ 2011-11-29 21:14           ` Ernesto Posse
From: Ernesto Posse @ 2011-11-29 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 29-11-2011 20:36, Ernesto Posse wrote:

>>> It is part of context but as context moves on (mkiv) no user will use
>>> mptopdf as (1) mp processing is built into the core, and (2) fo rstand
>>> alone
>>> graphics the mkiv related context and metapost scripts can do the same as
>>> mptopdf.
>>

>> I'm using it for stand-alone graphics, to be included in a latex file,
>> to be compiled with pdflatex. In short, I have a diagram in mp, and I
>> used to do the following:
>>
>> mpost diagram.mp
>> mptopdf diagram.1
>>
>> My understanding is that the .1 file generated by mpost is actually an
>> ..eps file, but pdflatex doesn't accept it, and that's why I used
>>
>> mptopdf. I do not see any options in either mpost or context that
>> would allow me to do that. How could I use any of these to get a pdf?
>

> what happens if you rename the .1 to .mps? inclusion of mp in pdftex should
> work ok in latex (as it uses the mp to pdf converter that is also used in
> mptopdf)

That seems to do the trick, thanks!