* Running heads, American style.
@ 2013-04-05 22:16 john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2013-04-05 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since I spent the better part of two days puzzling over this
simple task I thought I would share. The American style for
running heads for non-fiction books is to have the current chapter on the
left (verso) page and the current section on the right (recto)
page. The text for each is near the spine and the page number near the
outside edge. The layout must be set doublesided in context. Two
commands are pertinent:

\setupheader[leftstyle=bold,rightstyle=bold]
\setupheadertexts[text][section][pagenumber][pagenumber][chapter]

On the actual page spread the chapter title wll be on the laft of
the spread and the section title on the right. But the
\setupheadertexts command has them reversed. The recto gets
described first and then the verso. The manual describes them
otherwise. left then right, but it is really right, then left.
Also the location parameter (first bracket pair) is mandatory for this
kind of header setup. And just putting [] won't work. You have to
specify a location.

Now old hands will have memorized all these peculiarities long
ago. I write this for beginners at the context game, like me.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press

* Re: Running heads, American style.
@ 2013-04-05 22:41 ` Mica Semrick
From: Mica Semrick @ 2013-04-05 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi John,

Perhaps http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/setupheadertexts will be of
some help? Though, the wiki page does not list the [text] argument in your
second command. I'm not sure that ConTeXt sees recto and verso, as the wiki
page talks of even and odd pages.

HTH,
Mica

@ 2013-04-06 10:35   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-04-06 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/6/2013 12:41 AM, Mica Semrick wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Perhaps http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/setupheadertexts will be
> of some help? Though, the wiki page does not list the [text] argument in
> your second command. I'm not sure that ConTeXt sees recto and verso, as
> the wiki page talks of even and odd pages.

just try all combinations:

% \setuppagenumbering[alternative=singlesided]
% \setuppagenumbering[alternative={singlesided,doublesided}]

\setupheadertexts[a][b]
% \setupheadertexts[a][b][c][d]

\showframe

\starttext
     \dorecurse{100}{test \page}
\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-04-08 18:46   ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2013-04-08 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:41:46 -0700
Mica Semrick <paperdigits@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Perhaps http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/setupheadertexts will
> be of some help? Though, the wiki page does not list the [text]
> argument in your second command. I'm not sure that ConTeXt sees recto
> and verso, as the wiki page talks of even and odd pages.
>
> HTH,
> Mica

For a properly paginated book:
Left=even=verso
Right=odd=recto

Looking at a two page spread the even page is on the left and
the odd page is on the right.  The command however lists the odd
page parameters first, then the even page parameters. The manual
does not make this clear. The wiki does. Thanks for that reference.

With respect to the first parameter, location, I could not make the
command work properly unless the first parameter was [text] followed by
the other four.  Perhaps this was a peculiarity with my particular file.
Now for some reason it works without [text]. Perhaps Hans waved a
magic wand?

Thanks for your input. When I was searching wiki  I could not find the
wiki passage you noted. I did not enter "Command" first.

* Re: Running heads, American style.
@ 2013-04-08 19:36     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-04-08 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/8/2013 8:46 PM, john Culleton wrote:

> With respect to the first parameter, location, I could not make the
> command work properly unless the first parameter was [text] followed by
> the other four.  Perhaps this was a peculiarity with my particular file.
> Now for some reason it works without [text]. Perhaps Hans waved a
> magic wand?

that code is rather old and stable (also, it would get noticed
immediately if something was messed up with those areas)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-04-08 20:04       ` Mica Semrick
From: Mica Semrick @ 2013-04-08 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)