* [NTG-context] fallbacks
@ 2023-04-22 16:05 Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context
From: Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context @ 2023-04-22 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

today, I was struggling with a fallback font I had defined, and I
discovered that the key "check" doesn't work as I expected. Here's a
small example:

\definefallbackfamily [presentation] [serif] [TeXGyreTermes]
[range=0x2329-0x232A,check=yes]
\definefontfamily [presentation] [serif] [AntykwaTorunska]
\setupbodyfont [presentation,12pt]

\starttext

(〈P〉)

\stoptext

With this input, the two characters 〈 and 〉 are not typeset; in the log,
I find

fonts           > checking > char 〈 (U+02329) in font
'AntykwaTorunska-Regular' with id 1: missing
fonts           > checking > char 〉 (U+0232A) in font
'AntykwaTorunska-Regular' with id 1: missing

If I have "check=no," the characters are taken from termes and replaced.
I was under the impression that "check" should, well, check if the
characters are not in the main font and fall back to the fallback font
if they are not, but this doesn't appear to be the case. So what does
"check" do? Or is this a bug?

Have a great weekend

Thomas

* Re: [NTG-context] fallbacks
@ 2023-04-22 18:33 ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2023-04-22 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 4/22/23 18:05, Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> today, I was struggling with a fallback font I had defined, and I
> discovered that the key "check" doesn't work as I expected.
> [...]
> If I have "check=no," the characters are taken from termes and replaced.
> I was under the impression that "check" should, well, check if the
> characters are not in the main font and fall back to the fallback font
> if they are not, but this doesn't appear to be the case.

Hi Thomas,

I don’t know what check does (maybe just check?), but the standard
behaviour with \definefallbackfamily is only to fall back when the
character is missing from the main font.

To force all characters from the range in the fallback font, "force=yes"
is required.

Here you have a minimal sample (which doesn‘t use "preset=range:greek"),
adding "force=yes" gets all Greek glyphs from GFS Heraklit:

  \definefallbackfamily [presentation] [serif] [GFSHeraklit]
  [range={greekandcoptic, greekextended}]
  \definefontfamily [presentation] [serif] [TeXGyrePagella]
  \setupbodyfont [presentation,12pt]

  \starttext
  Pπμᾷσδ
  \stoptext

Just in case it might help,

Pablo

* Re: [NTG-context] fallbacks
@ 2023-04-22 19:25   ` Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context
From: Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context @ 2023-04-22 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context; +Cc: Thomas A. Schmitz

Thank you, Pablo, but that doesn't help. I know how to use fallback
fonts. I was wondering if the check key is working as it should.

Thomas

--
Prof. Dr. Thomas A. Schmitz
Institut für Klassische und Romanische Philologie

* Re: [NTG-context] fallbacks
@ 2023-04-25  5:46     ` Sylvain Hubert via ntg-context
From: Sylvain Hubert via ntg-context @ 2023-04-25  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)