ntg-context - mailing list for ConTeXt users
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* [NTG-context] fallbacks
@ 2023-04-22 16:05 Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context
  2023-04-22 18:33 ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context @ 2023-04-22 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing list for ConTeXt users; +Cc: Thomas A. Schmitz

Hi all,

today, I was struggling with a fallback font I had defined, and I 
discovered that the key "check" doesn't work as I expected. Here's a 
small example:

\definefallbackfamily [presentation] [serif] [TeXGyreTermes] 
[range=0x2329-0x232A,check=yes]
\definefontfamily [presentation] [serif] [AntykwaTorunska]
\setupbodyfont [presentation,12pt]

\starttext

(〈P〉)

\stoptext

With this input, the two characters 〈 and 〉 are not typeset; in the log, 
I find

fonts           > checking > char 〈 (U+02329) in font 
'AntykwaTorunska-Regular' with id 1: missing
fonts           > checking > char 〉 (U+0232A) in font 
'AntykwaTorunska-Regular' with id 1: missing

If I have "check=no," the characters are taken from termes and replaced. 
I was under the impression that "check" should, well, check if the 
characters are not in the main font and fall back to the fallback font 
if they are not, but this doesn't appear to be the case. So what does 
"check" do? Or is this a bug?

Have a great weekend

Thomas
___________________________________________________________________________________
If your question is of interest to others as well, please add an entry to the Wiki!

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://www.ntg.nl/mailman/listinfo/ntg-context
webpage  : https://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://context.aanhet.net
archive  : https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror/commits/
wiki     : https://contextgarden.net
___________________________________________________________________________________

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [NTG-context] fallbacks
  2023-04-22 16:05 [NTG-context] fallbacks Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context
@ 2023-04-22 18:33 ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
  2023-04-22 19:25   ` Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2023-04-22 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 4/22/23 18:05, Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> today, I was struggling with a fallback font I had defined, and I 
> discovered that the key "check" doesn't work as I expected.
> [...] 
> If I have "check=no," the characters are taken from termes and replaced. 
> I was under the impression that "check" should, well, check if the 
> characters are not in the main font and fall back to the fallback font
> if they are not, but this doesn't appear to be the case.

Hi Thomas,

I don’t know what check does (maybe just check?), but the standard
behaviour with \definefallbackfamily is only to fall back when the
character is missing from the main font.

To force all characters from the range in the fallback font, "force=yes"
is required.

Here you have a minimal sample (which doesn‘t use "preset=range:greek"),
adding "force=yes" gets all Greek glyphs from GFS Heraklit:

  \definefallbackfamily [presentation] [serif] [GFSHeraklit]
  [range={greekandcoptic, greekextended}]
  \definefontfamily [presentation] [serif] [TeXGyrePagella]
  \setupbodyfont [presentation,12pt]

  \starttext
  Pπμᾷσδ
  \stoptext

Just in case it might help,

Pablo
___________________________________________________________________________________
If your question is of interest to others as well, please add an entry to the Wiki!

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://www.ntg.nl/mailman/listinfo/ntg-context
webpage  : https://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://context.aanhet.net
archive  : https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror/commits/
wiki     : https://contextgarden.net
___________________________________________________________________________________

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [NTG-context] fallbacks
  2023-04-22 18:33 ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
@ 2023-04-22 19:25   ` Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context
  2023-04-25  5:46     ` Sylvain Hubert via ntg-context
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context @ 2023-04-22 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context; +Cc: Thomas A. Schmitz

Thank you, Pablo, but that doesn't help. I know how to use fallback 
fonts. I was wondering if the check key is working as it should.

Thomas

On 4/22/23 20:33, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
> 
> I don’t know what check does (maybe just check?), but the standard
> behaviour with \definefallbackfamily is only to fall back when the
> character is missing from the main font.
> 
> To force all characters from the range in the fallback font, "force=yes"
> is required.
> 
> Here you have a minimal sample (which doesn‘t use "preset=range:greek"),
> adding "force=yes" gets all Greek glyphs from GFS Heraklit:
> 
>    \definefallbackfamily [presentation] [serif] [GFSHeraklit]
>    [range={greekandcoptic, greekextended}]
>    \definefontfamily [presentation] [serif] [TeXGyrePagella]
>    \setupbodyfont [presentation,12pt]
> 
>    \starttext
>    Pπμᾷσδ
>    \stoptext
> 
> Just in case it might help,

-- 
Prof. Dr. Thomas A. Schmitz
Institut für Klassische und Romanische Philologie
Universität Bonn
Am Hof 1e
53113 Bonn
http://www.philologie.uni-bonn.de/de/personal/schmitz

___________________________________________________________________________________
If your question is of interest to others as well, please add an entry to the Wiki!

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://www.ntg.nl/mailman/listinfo/ntg-context
webpage  : https://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://context.aanhet.net
archive  : https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror/commits/
wiki     : https://contextgarden.net
___________________________________________________________________________________

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [NTG-context] fallbacks
  2023-04-22 19:25   ` Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context
@ 2023-04-25  5:46     ` Sylvain Hubert via ntg-context
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Sylvain Hubert via ntg-context @ 2023-04-25  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing list for ConTeXt users; +Cc: Sylvain Hubert


[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2194 bytes --]

I believe it's a bug.

https://github.com/contextgarden/context/blob/d025bcdf995be6951f69fed6869048ab22491b9e/tex/context/base/mkxl/font-col.lmt#L278

the newchar[] table, which should contain all chars supported by the
fallback termes font if I'm not mistaken, turns out to have only 392 chars
within 0x20-0x30C, far away from 0x2329-0x232A.

On Sun, 23 Apr 2023 at 03:26, Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context <
ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> Thank you, Pablo, but that doesn't help. I know how to use fallback
> fonts. I was wondering if the check key is working as it should.
>
> Thomas
>
> On 4/22/23 20:33, Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context wrote:
> > Hi Thomas,
> >
> > I don’t know what check does (maybe just check?), but the standard
> > behaviour with \definefallbackfamily is only to fall back when the
> > character is missing from the main font.
> >
> > To force all characters from the range in the fallback font, "force=yes"
> > is required.
> >
> > Here you have a minimal sample (which doesn‘t use "preset=range:greek"),
> > adding "force=yes" gets all Greek glyphs from GFS Heraklit:
> >
> >    \definefallbackfamily [presentation] [serif] [GFSHeraklit]
> >    [range={greekandcoptic, greekextended}]
> >    \definefontfamily [presentation] [serif] [TeXGyrePagella]
> >    \setupbodyfont [presentation,12pt]
> >
> >    \starttext
> >    Pπμᾷσδ
> >    \stoptext
> >
> > Just in case it might help,
>
> --
> Prof. Dr. Thomas A. Schmitz
> Institut für Klassische und Romanische Philologie
> Universität Bonn
> Am Hof 1e
> 53113 Bonn
> http://www.philologie.uni-bonn.de/de/personal/schmitz
>
>
> ___________________________________________________________________________________
> If your question is of interest to others as well, please add an entry to
> the Wiki!
>
> maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl /
> https://www.ntg.nl/mailman/listinfo/ntg-context
> webpage  : https://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://context.aanhet.net
> archive  : https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror/commits/
> wiki     : https://contextgarden.net
>
> ___________________________________________________________________________________
>

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 3468 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/plain, Size: 496 bytes --]

___________________________________________________________________________________
If your question is of interest to others as well, please add an entry to the Wiki!

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://www.ntg.nl/mailman/listinfo/ntg-context
webpage  : https://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://context.aanhet.net
archive  : https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror/commits/
wiki     : https://contextgarden.net
___________________________________________________________________________________

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2023-04-25  5:47 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2023-04-22 16:05 [NTG-context] fallbacks Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context
2023-04-22 18:33 ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
2023-04-22 19:25   ` Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context
2023-04-25  5:46     ` Sylvain Hubert via ntg-context

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox