* Strange behavior with the Garamond font
@ 2017-08-17 18:28 Fabrice Couvreur
From: Fabrice Couvreur @ 2017-08-17 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
I compiled the following document with Context Standalone and viewed the
file with Evince, it is not readable !
Thanks
Fabrice

\loadtypescriptfile[mathdesign]
\setupbodyfont[garamond]
\starttext
\input knuth
\stoptext

* Re: Strange behavior with the Garamond font
@ 2017-08-17 19:03 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-08-17 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 08/17/2017 08:28 PM, Fabrice Couvreur wrote:
> Hello,
> I compiled the following document with Context Standalone and viewed the
> file with Evince, it is not readable !

Hi Fabrice,

I copied the fonts from http://wiki.contextgarden.net/URW_Garamond to
tex/texmf-fonts/ and I got a PDF document with the font embedded (output
attached).

Before doing that, I couldn’t compile your source.

What do you mean by a document not being readable? Is it properly
displayed with xpdf or MuPDF?

Does pdffonts list any font in the document? Does the log file reveal
anything about the font?

Which version do you use? (Use \contextversion in your source.)

BTW, I don’t know whether this is intended, but I don’t get no fi or fl
ligatures.

Just in case it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

[-- Attachment #2: a.pdf --]

* Re: Strange behavior with the Garamond font
@ 2017-08-17 21:11   ` Fabrice Couvreur
From: Fabrice Couvreur @ 2017-08-17 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Pablo,
When I speak of non-readable, I mean it looks like "hieroglyphics".

fab@debian:~$ mtxrun --script fonts  --list --pattern=garamond --all

resolvers       | trees | analyzing 'home:texmf'
identifier                        familyname
fontname                          filename
subfont   instances

cormorantgaramondbold             cormorantgaramond
cormorantgaramondbold             CormorantGaramond-Bold.otf
cormorantgaramondbolditalic       cormorantgaramond
cormorantgaramondbolditalic       CormorantGaramond-BoldItalic.otf
cormorantgaramonddemi             cormorantgaramond
cormorantgaramondsemibold         CormorantGaramond-SemiBold.otf
cormorantgaramonditalic           cormorantgaramond
cormorantgaramonditalic           CormorantGaramond-RegularItalic.otf
cormorantgaramondlight            cormorantgaramond
cormorantgaramondlight            CormorantGaramond-Light.otf
cormorantgaramondlightitalic      cormorantgaramond
cormorantgaramondlightitalic      CormorantGaramond-LightItalic.otf
cormorantgaramondmedium           cormorantgaramond
cormorantgaramondmedium           CormorantGaramond-Medium.otf
cormorantgaramondmediumitalic     cormorantgaramond
cormorantgaramondmediumitalic     CormorantGaramond-MediumItalic.otf
cormorantgaramondnormal           cormorantgaramond
cormorantgaramondregular          CormorantGaramond-Regular.otf
cormorantgaramondregular          cormorantgaramond
cormorantgaramondregular          CormorantGaramond-Regular.otf
cormorantgaramondsemibold         cormorantgaramond
cormorantgaramondsemibold         CormorantGaramond-SemiBold.otf
cormorantgaramondsemibolditalic   cormorantgaramond
cormorantgaramondsemibolditalic   CormorantGaramond-SemiBoldItalic.otf
ebgaramond12italic                ebgaramond
ebgaramond12italic                EBGaramond12-Italic.otf
ebgaramond12regular               ebgaramond
ebgaramond12regular               EBGaramond12-Regular.otf
ebgaramondinitials                ebgaramondinitials
ebgaramondinitials                EBGaramondInitials.otf
ebgaramondinitialsnormal          ebgaramondinitials
ebgaramondinitials                EBGaramondInitials.otf
ebgaramondinitialsregular         ebgaramondinitials
ebgaramondinitials                EBGaramondInitials.otf
ebgaramonditalic                  ebgaramond
ebgaramond12italic                EBGaramond12-Italic.otf
ebgaramondnormal                  ebgaramond
ebgaramond12italic                EBGaramond12-Italic.otf
ebgaramondregular                 ebgaramond
ebgaramond12regular               EBGaramond12-Regular.otf
garamondno8ita                    garamondno8
garamondno8ita                    ugmri8a.afm
garamondno8italic                 garamondno8
garamondno8ita                    ugmri8a.afm
garamondno8med                    garamondno8
garamondno8med                    ugmm8a.afm
garamondno8medita                 garamondno8
garamondno8medita                 ugmmi8a.afm
garamondno8medium                 garamondno8
garamondno8med                    ugmm8a.afm
garamondno8mediumitalic           garamondno8
garamondno8medita                 ugmmi8a.afm
garamondno8normal                 garamondno8
garamondno8reg                    ugmr8a.afm
garamondno8reg                    garamondno8
garamondno8reg                    ugmr8a.afm
garamondno8regular                garamondno8
garamondno8reg                    ugmr8a.afm
vngaramondno8ita                  vngaramondno8
vngaramondno8ita                  ugmri8v.afm
vngaramondno8italic               vngaramondno8
vngaramondno8ita                  ugmri8v.afm
vngaramondno8med                  vngaramondno8
vngaramondno8med                  ugmm8v.afm
vngaramondno8medita               vngaramondno8
vngaramondno8medita               ugmmi8v.afm
vngaramondno8medium               vngaramondno8
vngaramondno8med                  ugmm8v.afm
vngaramondno8mediumitalic         vngaramondno8
vngaramondno8medita               ugmmi8v.afm
vngaramondno8normal               vngaramondno8
vngaramondno8reg                  ugmr8v.afm
vngaramondno8reg                  vngaramondno8
vngaramondno8reg                  ugmr8v.afm
vngaramondno8regular              vngaramondno8
vngaramondno8reg                  ugmr8v.afm
fab@debian:~$

Thanks
Fabrice

> On 08/17/2017 08:28 PM, Fabrice Couvreur wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I compiled the following document with Context Standalone and viewed the
> > file with Evince, it is not readable !
>
> Hi Fabrice,
>
> I copied the fonts from http://wiki.contextgarden.net/URW_Garamond to
> tex/texmf-fonts/ and I got a PDF document with the font embedded (output
> attached).
>
> Before doing that, I couldn’t compile your source.
>
> What do you mean by a document not being readable? Is it properly
> displayed with xpdf or MuPDF?
>
> Does pdffonts list any font in the document? Does the log file reveal
> anything about the font?
>
> Which version do you use? (Use \contextversion in your source.)
>
> BTW, I don’t know whether this is intended, but I don’t get no fi or fl
> ligatures.
>
> Just in case it helps,
>
> Pablo
> --
> http://www.ousia.tk

[-- Attachment #2: layout10.pdf --]

* Re: Strange behavior with the Garamond font
@ 2017-08-18 18:14     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-08-18 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 08/17/2017 11:11 PM, Fabrice Couvreur wrote:
> Hi Pablo,
> When I speak of non-readable, I mean it looks like "hieroglyphics".
>
> fab@debian:~$ mtxrun --script fonts  --list --pattern=garamond --all

Hi Fabrice,

sorry, I asked you to use pdffonts on the output PDF document to check
which font it is embedded.

From my outuput, I get:

$ pdffonts a.pdf
name                       type        encoding   emb sub uni object ID
-------------------------- ---------- ---------- --- --- --- ---------
WKSCSW+GaramondNo8-Regular CID Type 0C Identity-H yes yes yes  10  0

Just in case it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Strange behavior with the Garamond font
@ 2017-08-18 18:17     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2017-08-18 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 17 Aug 2017, Fabrice Couvreur wrote:

> When I speak of non-readable, I mean it looks like "hieroglyphics".

Try

mtxrun --script fonts --reload --force

and then compiling again.

Aditya

* Re: Strange behavior with the Garamond font
@ 2017-08-18 21:41       ` Fabrice Couvreur
From: Fabrice Couvreur @ 2017-08-18 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

@Aditya

This does not solve my problem

@Pablo

fab@debian:~$ pdffonts layout15.pdf
name                                 type              encoding         emb
sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- ---------------- ---
--- --- ---------
AHYUQI+GaramondNo8-Regular           CID Type 0C       Identity-H       yes
yes yes     10  0

@ 2017-08-25  0:31         ` Fabrice Couvreur
From: Fabrice Couvreur @ 2017-08-25  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
I reinstalled the fonts in :

fab@debian:~$ ls -l /home/fab/texmf/fonts/opentype/
total 16
drwxr-xr-x 2 fab fab 4096 août  25 02:14 ebgaramond
drwxr-xr-x 5 fab fab 4096 avril 11  2016 fourier-GUT
drwxrwxr-x 9 fab fab 4096 avril  4  2011 kpfonts
drwxr-xr-x 3 fab fab 4096 août  12 23:50 STIXv2.0.0
fab@debian:~$

 I compiled the following file :

\loadtypescriptfile[mathdesign]
\setupbodyfont[garamond]
\starttext
\input knuth
\stoptext

which font it embedded :

ab@debian:~$ pdffonts layout22.pdf
name                                 type              encoding         emb
sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- ---------------- ---
--- --- ---------
AHYUQI+GaramondNo8-Regular           CID Type 0C       Identity-H       yes
yes yes     10  0

It still does not work !

Fabrice

> Hi,
> @Aditya
>
> This does not solve my problem
>
> @Pablo
>
> fab@debian:~$ pdffonts layout15.pdf
> name                                 type              encoding
> emb sub uni object ID
> ------------------------------------ ----------------- ----------------
> --- --- --- ---------
> AHYUQI+GaramondNo8-Regular           CID Type 0C       Identity-H
> yes yes yes     10  0

>> On Thu, 17 Aug 2017, Fabrice Couvreur wrote:
>>
>> When I speak of non-readable, I mean it looks like "hieroglyphics".
>>>

>> Try
>>
>> mtxrun --script fonts --reload --force
>>
>> and then compiling again.
>>
>> Aditya

>> _______________________
>> the Wiki!
>>
>> maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / http://www.ntg.nl/mailman/list
>> info/ntg-context
>> webpage  : http://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://context.aanhet.net
>> archive  : https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror/commits/
>> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net
>> _______________________

[-- Attachment #2: layout22.pdf --]

* Re: Strange behavior with the Garamond font
@ 2017-08-25  2:06           ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2017-08-25  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017, Fabrice Couvreur wrote:

> Hello,
> I reinstalled the fonts in :
>
> fab@debian:~$ ls -l /home/fab/texmf/fonts/opentype/
> total 16
> drwxr-xr-x 2 fab fab 4096 août  25 02:14 ebgaramond
> drwxr-xr-x 5 fab fab 4096 avril 11  2016 fourier-GUT
> drwxrwxr-x 9 fab fab 4096 avril  4  2011 kpfonts
> drwxr-xr-x 3 fab fab 4096 août  12 23:50 STIXv2.0.0
> fab@debian:~$
>
> I compiled the following file :
>
> \loadtypescriptfile[mathdesign]
> \setupbodyfont[garamond]
> \starttext
> \input knuth
> \stoptext

You have EBGaramond font, but you are using mathdesign typescript which is
designed for URW Garamond. So you need to either install URW Garamond (in
AFM format) or create a typescript for EBGaramond.

For reference, this is the relevant part of type-imp-mathdesign.mkiv:

    % URW Garamond

     \starttypescript [\s!serif] [garamond]
         \definefontsynonym [Garamond-Regular]     [\s!file:ugmr8a.afm]
         \definefontsynonym [Garamond-Italic]      [\s!file:ugmri8a.afm]
         \definefontsynonym [Garamond-Bold]        [\s!file:bchb8a.afm]
         \definefontsynonym [Garamond-BoldItalic]  [\s!file:ugmmi8a.afm]
     \stoptypescript

     \starttypescript [\s!serif] [garamond] [\s!name]
                 \setups[\s!font:\s!fallback:\s!serif]
         \definefontsynonym [\s!Serif]            [Garamond-Regular]
         \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifItalic]      [Garamond-Italic]
         \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifBold]        [Garamond-Bold]
         \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifBoldItalic]  [Garamond-BoldItalic]
     \stoptypescript

     \starttypescript [\s!math] [mdugm,mathdesigngm,garamond] [\s!all]
         \loadfontgoodies[mdugm-math]
         \definefontsynonym [\s!MathRoman]     [mdugmrm@mdugm-rm]
         \definefontsynonym [\s!MathRomanBold] [mdugmbf@mdugm-bf]
     \stoptypescript

     \starttypescript [mathdesigngm,garamond]
         \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [\s!rm] [\s!serif] [garamond]
[\s!default]
         \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [\s!ss] [\s!sans]  [modern]
[\s!default]
         \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [\s!tt] [\s!mono]  [modern]
[\s!default]
         \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [\s!mm] [\s!math]  [garamond]
[\s!default]
         \quittypescriptscanning
     \stoptypescript

Aditya

* Re: Strange behavior with the Garamond font
@ 2017-08-25 10:03             ` Fabrice Couvreur
From: Fabrice Couvreur @ 2017-08-25 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Aditya,
The first time I have downloaded since
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/URW_Garamond  with the result you know. Then
I did a search on Google and I downloaded another package for the same
result.
Where to find the fonts ?
Fabrice

@ 2017-08-27 11:10               ` Fabrice Couvreur
From: Fabrice Couvreur @ 2017-08-27 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here's what I get, is this correct ?
Thank you
Fabrice

fab@debian:~$ pdffonts layout25.pdf
name                                 type              encoding         emb
sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- ---------------- ---
--- --- ---------
JJIWHN+GaramondNo8-Regular           CID Type 0C       Identity-H       yes
yes yes     10  0
fab@debian:~$

> [...]
>>         \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifItalic]      [Garamond-Italic]
>>         \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifBold]        [Garamond-Bold]
>>         \definefontsynonym [\s!SerifBoldItalic]  [Garamond-BoldItalic]
>>     \stoptypescript
>>
>>     \starttypescript [\s!math] [mdugm,mathdesigngm,garamond] [\s!all]
>>         \loadfontgoodies[mdugm-math]
>>         \definefontsynonym [\s!MathRoman]     [mdugmrm@mdugm-rm]
>>         \definefontsynonym [\s!MathRomanBold] [mdugmbf@mdugm-bf]
>>     \stoptypescript
>>
>>     \starttypescript [mathdesigngm,garamond]
>>         \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [\s!rm] [\s!serif] [garamond]
>> [\s!default]
>>         \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [\s!ss] [\s!sans]  [modern]
>> [\s!default]
>>         \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [\s!tt] [\s!mono]  [modern]
>> [\s!default]
>>         \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [\s!mm] [\s!math]  [garamond]

[-- Attachment #2: layout25.pdf --]

* Re: Strange behavior with the Garamond font
@ 2017-08-27 11:14                 ` Fabrice Couvreur
From: Fabrice Couvreur @ 2017-08-27 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)