* Shading
@ 2020-02-25 11:34 Fabrice Couvreur
From: Fabrice Couvreur @ 2020-02-25 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the Metafun documentation on page 410, there is a shaded bullet "fill
fullcircle shaded cshade".
I tried to reproduce the same effect, but it is not exactly the same result.
Thank you.
Fabrice

\starttext
\startMPcode
fill fullcircle scaled 4cm shaded  withshademethod "circular"
                   withshadevector (1,0)
                   withshadecolors (red, white) ;
\stopMPcode
\stoptext

* Re: Shading
@ 2020-02-25 16:18 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-02-25 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 12:34:00 +0100
Fabrice Couvreur <fabrice1.couvreur@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> In the Metafun documentation on page 410, there is a shaded bullet "fill
> fullcircle shaded cshade".
> I tried to reproduce the same effect, but it is not exactly the same result.

It's different because your code isn't the same as the example in the manual.

\starttext

\startMPcode
fill fullcircle scaled 4cm shaded withshademethod "circular" ;
\stopMPcode

\stoptext

> \starttext
> \startMPcode
> fill fullcircle scaled 4cm shaded  withshademethod "circular"
>                    withshadevector (1,0)
>                    withshadecolors (red, white) ;
> \stopMPcode
> \stoptext

Not sure what you're trying to achieve but this is closer the example above.

\starttext

\startMPcode
fill fullcircle scaled 4cm shaded
    withshademethod "circular"
    withshadefactor 0.75
    withshadecolors (white,red)
;
\stopMPcode

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Shading
@ 2020-02-26 10:34   ` Fabrice Couvreur
From: Fabrice Couvreur @ 2020-02-26 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,
I would like the same result as the code with TikZ.
Thank you.
Fabrice

\usemodule[tikz]
\starttext
\startMPcode
fill fullcircle xscaled 1cm yscaled 0.88cm shaded
    withshademethod "circular"
    withshadefactor 0.75
    withshadecolors (white,red);
\stopMPcode

\starttikzpicture
  \shade[ball color=red] (0,0) ellipse (0.5cm and 0.44cm);
\stoptikzpicture
\stoptext

Le mar. 25 févr. 2020 à 17:18, Wolfgang Schuster <
wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 12:34:00 +0100
> Fabrice Couvreur <fabrice1.couvreur@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > In the Metafun documentation on page 410, there is a shaded bullet "fill
> > fullcircle shaded cshade".
> > I tried to reproduce the same effect, but it is not exactly the same
> result.
>
> It's different because your code isn't the same as the example in the
> manual.
>
> \starttext
>
> \startMPcode
> fill fullcircle scaled 4cm shaded withshademethod "circular" ;
> \stopMPcode
>
> \stoptext
>
> > \starttext
> > \startMPcode
> > fill fullcircle scaled 4cm shaded  withshademethod "circular"
> >                    withshadevector (1,0)
> >                    withshadecolors (red, white) ;
> > \stopMPcode
> > \stoptext
>
> Not sure what you're trying to achieve but this is closer the example
> above.
>
> \starttext
>
> \startMPcode
> fill fullcircle scaled 4cm shaded
>     withshademethod "circular"
>     withshadefactor 0.75
>     withshadecolors (white,red)
> ;
> \stopMPcode
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: shading
@ 2011-05-19 12:22         ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2011-05-19 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2011-05-19 Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 19-5-2011 12:08, Marco wrote:
>
> > new commands. I  can't figure out how to  shade from a
> > particular colour to transparent.
>
> afaik you can't as one shades from color to color (maybe
> achoosing nother transparency method)

As  soon as  transparency (the  method doesn't  matter) is
involved,  the  transparent  colour component  turns  into
either black  or white (depending on  the method). Shading
only works  well with uniform colours,  however the entire
path  can  be made  transparent,  not  the single  shading
colour components.

Best regards
Marco

* Re: shading
@ 2011-05-19 10:55       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-05-19 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19-5-2011 12:08, Marco wrote:

> new  commands. I  can't figure  out  how to  shade from  a
> particular colour to transparent.

afaik you can't as one shades from color to color (maybe choosing
another transparency method)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: shading
@ 2011-05-19 10:08     ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2011-05-19 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2011-05-18 Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 18-5-2011 8:30, Marco wrote:
>
> > % Error
> > % path p; p:=fullsquare scaled 5cm shifted (10cm, 0cm);
> > % fill p
> > %   withshading("linear", llcorner p, urcorner p)
> > %   withcolor \MPcolor{red-t} shadedinto \MPcolor{blue};
>
> don't ask how, but the upcoming beta can handle it
>
> \starttext
> […]

Thanks  a  lot. But  I'm  still  a  bit  lost in  all  the
new  commands. I  can't figure  out  how to  shade from  a
particular colour to transparent.

\starttext
\definecolor [trans-t] [t=1, a=normal]
\startMPpage

path p; p:=fullsquare scaled 5cm;
fill p withcolor \MPcolor{red};

% Works if background colour is known and uniform
path p; p:=fullsquare scaled 3cm;
fill p
  withshading("linear", llcorner p, urcorner p)
  withcolor \MPcolor{blue} shadedinto \MPcolor{red};

path p; p:=fullsquare scaled 5cm shifted (5cm, 0cm);
fill p withcolor \MPcolor{red};

% Shades to white
path p; p:=fullsquare scaled 3cm shifted (5cm, 0cm);
fill p
  withshading("linear", llcorner p, urcorner p)
  withfromshadecolor \MPcolor{blue} withtoshadecolor \MPcolor{trans-t};

\stopMPpage
\stoptext

Marco

* Re: shading
@ 2011-05-18 20:24   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-05-18 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-5-2011 8:30, Marco wrote:

> % Error
> % path p; p:=fullsquare scaled 5cm shifted (10cm, 0cm);
> % fill p
> %   withshading("linear", llcorner p, urcorner p)
> %   withcolor \MPcolor{red-t} shadedinto \MPcolor{blue};

don't ask how, but the upcoming beta can handle it

\starttext

\definecolor [red-t]  [r=1,t=.6,a=1]
\definecolor [blue-t] [b=1,t=.4,a=1]

\startMPpage
path p ; p := fullsquare scaled 6cm ;

fill p ;

path p ; p := fullsquare scaled 6cm shifted (-4cm,-4cm);

fill p
     withshading("linear", llcorner p, urcorner p)
     withcolor \MPcolor{red} shadedinto \MPcolor{blue} ;

path p ; p := fullsquare scaled 6cm shifted (4cm,4cm) ;

fill p
     withshading("linear", llcorner p, urcorner p)
     withcolor \MPcolor{red} shadedinto \MPcolor{blue}
     withtransparency(1,.5) ;

path p ; p := fullsquare scaled 6cm shifted (-4cm,4cm) ;

fill p
     withshading("linear", llcorner p, urcorner p)
     withcolor \MPcolor{red} shadedinto \MPcolor{blue-t};

path p ; p := fullsquare scaled 6cm shifted (4cm,-4cm) ;

fill p
     withshading("linear", llcorner p, urcorner p)
     withcolor \MPcolor{blue-t} shadedinto \MPcolor{red};
   % withfromshadecolor \MPcolor{blue-t} withtoshadecolor \MPcolor{red};
\stopMPpage

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: shading
@ 2011-05-18 19:25     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-05-18 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-5-2011 8:55, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am 2011-05-18 um 20:30 schrieb Marco:
>
>>> For this metafun has been extended with a few more
>>> shading commands, with the nicest being:
>>> […]
>>
>> Very nice these commands! I like them.
>>
>> But the shadings in MP still have problems with
>> transparency. Example below.
>>
>> I guess, it's not supported. If not, are you planing to
>> add it or is it unlikely?
>

> Transparency, combined with spot colors and gradients, is really tricky.
> Maybe not so much in MP, but at least in InDesign you must know how you
> export your PDFs to get expected and printable (i.e. color separable)
> results.
> Hans, do you need another example?

no, transparency does not relate to shades (i.e. is not part of the
shading function)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: shading
@ 2011-05-18 19:18   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-05-18 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-5-2011 8:30, Marco wrote:

> % The entire square is transparent,
> % not just the shading part
> path p; p:=fullsquare scaled 5cm shifted (5cm, 0cm);
> fill p
>    withshading("linear", llcorner p, urcorner p)
>    withcolor \MPcolor{red} shadedinto \MPcolor{blue-t};

indeed, as transparency is independent of shading

> % Error
> % path p; p:=fullsquare scaled 5cm shifted (10cm, 0cm);
> % fill p
> %   withshading("linear", llcorner p, urcorner p)
> %   withcolor \MPcolor{red-t} shadedinto \MPcolor{blue};

for the moment use withfromshadecolor ...

(i need to discuss the other variant with taco as it involves the mp
parser)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: shading
@ 2011-05-18 18:55   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2011-05-18 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2011-05-18 um 20:30 schrieb Marco:

>> For  this metafun  has  been extended  with  a few  more
>> shading commands, with the nicest being:
>> […]
>
> Very nice these commands! I like them.
>
> But  the   shadings  in   MP  still  have   problems  with
> transparency. Example below.
>
> I guess,  it's not supported.  If not, are you  planing to
> add it or is it unlikely?

Transparency, combined with spot colors and gradients, is really tricky.
Maybe not so much in MP, but at least in InDesign you must know how
you export your PDFs to get expected and printable (i.e. color
separable) results.
Hans, do you need another example?

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: shading
@ 2011-05-18 18:30 ` Marco
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Marco @ 2011-05-18 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> For  this metafun  has  been extended  with  a few  more
> shading commands, with the nicest being:
> […]

Very nice these commands! I like them.

But  the   shadings  in   MP  still  have   problems  with
transparency. Example below.

I guess,  it's not supported.  If not, are you  planing to
add it or is it unlikely?

\starttext

\definecolor [red-t]  [r=1, t=.6, a=normal]
\definecolor [blue-t] [b=1, t=.4, a=normal]

\startMPpage

% Works
path p; p:=fullsquare scaled 5cm;
fill p
  withshading("linear", llcorner p, urcorner p)
  withcolor \MPcolor{red} shadedinto \MPcolor{blue};

% The entire square is transparent,
% not just the shading part
path p; p:=fullsquare scaled 5cm shifted (5cm, 0cm);
fill p
  withshading("linear", llcorner p, urcorner p)
  withcolor \MPcolor{red} shadedinto \MPcolor{blue-t};

% Error
% path p; p:=fullsquare scaled 5cm shifted (10cm, 0cm);
% fill p
%   withshading("linear", llcorner p, urcorner p)
%   withcolor \MPcolor{red-t} shadedinto \MPcolor{blue};

\stopMPpage
\stoptext

Marco

* shading
@ 2011-05-18 16:24 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-05-18 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks to Hraban for providing spot->process color examples and Luigi
and Taco for testing viewers Duncan can now do more advanced shades,
that is, if he weren't using mkii. For this metafun has been extended
with a few more shading commands, with the nicest being:

path p ; p := fullsquare scaled 8cm shifted (20cm,-10cm) ;

fill p
     withshading("linear",llcorner p,urcorner p)
     withcolor red shadedinto green ;

Test file:

\starttext

\definecolor [blueish]   [c=1,m=.38,y=0,k=.64] % pantone pms 2965 uncoated m
\definecolor [yellowish] [c=0,m=.28,y=1,k=.06] % pantone pms  124 uncoated m

\definespotcolor [blue-0]     [blueish]   [p=0.1]
\definespotcolor [blue-50]    [blueish]   [p=0.5]
\definespotcolor [blue-100]   [blueish]   [p=0.9]
\definespotcolor [yellow-0]   [yellowish] [p=0.1]
\definespotcolor [yellow-50]  [yellowish] [p=0.5]
\definespotcolor [yellow-100] [yellowish] [p=0.9]

\definemultitonecolor [somecolor]   [blueish=.12,yellowish=.28] %
[c=.1,m=.1,y=.3,k=.1]
\definemultitonecolor [somecolor-1] [blueish=0,yellowish=1]
\definemultitonecolor [somecolor-2] [blueish=1,yellowish=0]
\definemultitonecolor [somecolor-3] [blueish=0.1,yellow=0.9]
\definemultitonecolor [somecolor-4] [blueish=0.9,yellow=0.1]
\definemultitonecolor [somecolor-5]
[blueish=0.1,magenta=0.9,yellow=0.75,cyan=0.8] % [c=1]
\definemultitonecolor [somecolor-6]
[blueish=0.9,magenta=0.1,yellow=0.25,cyan=0.8] % [m=1]

\startMPpage
path p ; p := fullcircle scaled 10cm shifted (0cm,0) ;

fill p
     withcolor \MPcolor{blue-100} ;

path p ; p := fullcircle scaled 10cm shifted (5cm,0) ;

fill p
     withcircularshading(center p,center p shifted (0,5cm),5cm,0)
     withcolor red shadedinto green ;

fill p
     withshading("circular",center p,center p shifted (0,5cm),5cm,0)
     withcolor red shadedinto green ;

path p ; p := fullcircle scaled 10cm shifted (10cm,0) ;

fill p
     withcircularshading(center p,center p shifted (0,5cm),5cm,0)
     withfromshadecolor red
     withtoshadecolor green ;

path p ; p := fullcircle scaled 10cm shifted (15cm,0) ;

fill p
     withcircularshading(center p,center p shifted (0,5cm),5cm,0)
     withfromshadecolor \MPcolor{blue-0}
     withtoshadecolor \MPcolor{blue-100} ;

path p ; p := fullcircle scaled 10cm shifted (20cm,0) ;

fill p
     withcircularshading(center p,center p,5cm,0)
     withfromshadecolor \MPcolor{yellow-0}
     withtoshadecolor \MPcolor{yellow-50} ;

path p ; p := fullcircle scaled 10cm shifted (0cm,-10cm) ;

fill p
     withcolor \MPcolor{somecolor} ;

path p ; p := fullcircle scaled 10cm shifted (5cm,-10cm) ;

fill p
     withcircularshading(center p,center p shifted (0,5cm),10cm,0)
     withfromshadecolor \MPcolor{somecolor-2}
     withtoshadecolor \MPcolor{somecolor-1} ;

path p ; p := fullcircle scaled 10cm shifted (10cm,-10cm) ;

fill p
     withcircularshading(center p,center p shifted (0,5cm),10cm,0)
     withfromshadecolor \MPcolor{somecolor-3}
     withtoshadecolor \MPcolor{somecolor-4} ;

path p ; p := fullcircle scaled 10cm shifted (15cm,-10cm) ;

fill p
     withcircularshading(center p,center p shifted (0,5cm),10cm,0)
     withfromshadecolor \MPcolor{somecolor-6}
     withtoshadecolor \MPcolor{somecolor-5} ;