* Getting a Header Line to Start from Left Margin
@ 2012-03-09 16:27 Emmanuel Asante
From: Emmanuel Asante @ 2012-03-09 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,

I have a chapter heading text starting in the left margin and a hairline
below my header texts spanning the full width of the header. Since the
chapter begins in the left margin, there is no line on top of the chapter
heading text in the margin. How can I get the line to also start in the
margin where the chapter heading text begins?

Thanks
Emmanuel

* Re: Getting a Header Line to Start from Left Margin
@ 2012-03-09 17:32 ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2012-03-09 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2012-03-09 Emmanuel Asante <emmanuela.asante@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have  a chapter heading text  starting in the left  margin and a
> hairline  below my  header texts  spanning the  full width  of the
> header. Since the  chapter begins in the left margin,  there is no
> line on top of  the chapter heading text in the  margin. How can I
> get the line to also start in the margin where the chapter heading
> text begins?

Honestly, I had to read your post three times to understand what you
want to achieve.

\setuplayout [leftmargindistance=0pt]
\setupbackgrounds [header] [leftmargin,text] [bottomframe=on]

I'd like  to know,  if there's  a simple solution  (I would  write a
MetaPost three-liner  for this) without touching  the leftmargindis-
tance.

Regards

Marco

* Re: Getting a Header Line to Start from Left Margin
@ 2012-03-09 19:21   ` Emmanuel Asante
From: Emmanuel Asante @ 2012-03-09 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Marco <netuse@lavabit.com> wrote:

> On 2012-03-09 Emmanuel Asante <emmanuela.asante@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have  a chapter heading text  starting in the left  margin and a
> > hairline  below my  header texts  spanning the  full width  of the
> > header. Since the  chapter begins in the left margin,  there is no
> > line on top of  the chapter heading text in the  margin. How can I
> > get the line to also start in the margin where the chapter heading
> > text begins?
>
> Honestly, I had to read your post three times to understand what you
> want to achieve.
>
> \setuplayout [leftmargindistance=0pt]
> \setupbackgrounds [header] [leftmargin,text] [bottomframe=on]
>
> I'd like  to know,  if there's  a simple solution  (I would  write a
> MetaPost three-liner  for this) without touching  the leftmargindis-
> tance.
>
> Regards
>
> Marco
>

> Thanks. I had to do some trial and error before I got what I wanted, but
it pointed me in the right direction.

@ 2012-03-09 21:39   ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2012-03-09 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9 Mar 2012, at 18:32, Marco wrote:

> On 2012-03-09 Emmanuel Asante <emmanuela.asante@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have  a chapter heading text  starting in the left  margin and a
>> hairline  below my  header texts  spanning the  full width  of the
>> header. Since the  chapter begins in the left margin,  there is no
>> line on top of  the chapter heading text in the  margin. How can I
>> get the line to also start in the margin where the chapter heading
>> text begins?
>
> Honestly, I had to read your post three times to understand what you
> want to achieve.
>
> \setuplayout [leftmargindistance=0pt]
> \setupbackgrounds [header] [leftmargin,text] [bottomframe=on]
>
> I'd like  to know,  if there's  a simple solution  (I would  write a
> MetaPost three-liner  for this) without touching  the leftmargindis-
> tance.

You could consider setting up a layer, filling the layer with the line (your three-liner in Metapost) and flush it in the headertext setup

Willi