* Ancient Egyptian Representation
@ 2017-11-10  7:29 Brian Ballsun-Stanton
From: Brian Ballsun-Stanton @ 2017-11-10  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1466 bytes --]

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to figure out ways of representing:

Using computer-intelligable output.

This (if you have a font supporting ancient egyptian installed):

𓄂

𓂝

𓈖

𓁷

𓂋

𓇋

𓅭

𓊵

𓃝

𓏏

𓊪

𓁹

𓈖

𓈎

𓅡

𓏏

𓇋
is an awful attempt at same using google docs tables inside tables, but
should have the virtue of being interactable-with.

The characters themselves are part of the ancient egpytian block and have
font support (noto by google) ​

The problem is in composition. There's: Above/below (that first "character"
is composed of two), overlapping (that bull-thing with bits), mirrored,
right-to-left and left-to-right, as well as vertical text.

While these characters can be laid out in jsesh or equivalent, the output
is of an *image* instead of something which can be well-represented
(much-less copied and pasted).

As one of the routes of exploration, since I do quite a lot of work in
ConTeXt, I'm wondering what ... modes.... one would need to be in to even
start thinking about placement here. (I'm avoiding simply placing graphics
objects by hand as that defeats the purpose).

I suppose my question is: is it worth trying to coerce ConTeXt into working
with this, or do I need to investigate a different *sort* of tool entirely?
(probably a purpose-built xml parser or something in that vein).

Cheers,
-Brian