On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 12:48 AM, Aditya Mahajan wrote: > On Sat, 29 Nov 2014, Mark Szepieniec wrote: > > So I guess my problem is resolved, but I'd still like to understand better >> why my earlier solution of doing >> >> \setupfloat[figure][width=2cm] >> >> didn't set a default for later instances of \placefigure. I feel like I >> might be missing some aspect of the ConTeXt philosophy, or I'm misreading >> the manual, or it's just a bug...? >> > > \setupfloat[figure] sets the values of \startplacefigure (and > \placefigure), and not for \externalfigure. The width value for > startplacefigure is not used anywhere. > > The default value of \setupfloats[width=...] is used when the float box is > empty. So, the only scenario where the value of \setupfloats[width=...] > will matter is the following: > > \starttext > \setupfloats[width=2cm] > \placefloat{}{} > > \setupfloats[width=10cm] > \placefloat{}{} > \stoptext > > Aditya > > Thanks Aditya, that's very helpful and things make more sense now. Is this stuff documented somewhere or did you consult the source code?