I am relatively new to ConTeXt and have encountered something that does not work as I expected it to based on various documentation and examples. My book design requires the front matter to contain an abridged table of contents just for chapters, and a detailed table of contents in the back matter. Everything worked fine -- including the PDF bookmarks and table of contents -- until I started using \writetolist to manually inject additional sections and subsections into their respective lists. The manually injected entries do show up (as I expected), but their corresponding PDF bookmarks get repeated (not what I expected). Here is a M(not)WD: ###begin \setupinteraction[state=start] \placebookmarks[chapter, section][chapter, section] \setupinteractionscreen[option=bookmark] \starttext \startfrontmatter \title{Contents} \placelist[chapter] \stopfrontmatter \startbodymatter \chapter{Chapter ONE} \section{Section ONE} \writetolist[section]{}{Section via writetolist ONE} \chapter{Chapter TWO} \stopbodymatter \startbackmatter \chapter{Detailed Table of Contents} \placecontent[criterium=all] \stopbackmatter \stoptext ###end The repetitions go away when any one of the following is done: -- commenting out the front/body/back commands -- commenting out both contents at front and back -- commenting out just back contents -- commenting out the \writetolist Have I misunderstood something? Many thanks, Musa