* wrong interlinespace or wrong font?
@ 2013-06-22 14:56 Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2013-06-22 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

with the following sample:

    \setupinterlinespace[line=3.2ex]
    \usemodule[simplefonts]
    \setmainfont[UnifrakturMaguntia]
    \starttext
    xAAbfas\\xAAbfas\\xAAbfas\\
    \stoptext

I have the impression that the interline space is too small.

Has the font wrong defined metrics or is there something I'm missing?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: wrong interlinespace or wrong font?
@ 2013-06-24  8:26 ` Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2013-06-24  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Pablo,

I think this is a problem with the Unifraktur Maguntia font. I just
downloaded it [1], and measured it using \blackrule -- and the
x-height is indeed ridiculously low.

[1] from here: http://unifraktur.sourceforge.net/maguntia.html

    \setupinterlinespace[line=3.2ex]
    \usemodule[simplefonts]
    \setmainfont[UnifrakturMaguntia]
    \starttext

    xAAgfas\smash{\blackrule[height=1ex]}\smash{\blackrule[height=2mm]\\
    xAAgfas\smash{\blackrule[height=2ex]}\\
    xAAgfas\smash{\blackrule[height=3ex, color=red]}\\
    xAAgfas\smash{\blackrule[height=3.2ex, color=blue]}\\

    \stoptext

Probably best to take this up with the font designer? I have no idea
how a font is supposed to declare its x-height. (I get the impression
that `font-con.lua` queries some parameter called 'xheight' or
'x_height', but you should take these impressions of mine with a grain
of salt.)

Cheers,
Sietse

* Re: wrong interlinespace or wrong font?
@ 2013-06-24 15:28   ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2013-06-24 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24/06/13 10:26, Sietse Brouwer wrote:
> Hi Pablo,
>
> I think this is a problem with the Unifraktur Maguntia font. I just
> downloaded it [1], and measured it using \blackrule -- and the
> x-height is indeed ridiculously low.
>
> [1] from here: http://unifraktur.sourceforge.net/maguntia.html
>
>     \setupinterlinespace[line=3.2ex]
>     \usemodule[simplefonts]
>     \setmainfont[UnifrakturMaguntia]
>     \starttext
>
>     xAAgfas\smash{\blackrule[height=1ex]}\smash{\blackrule[height=2mm]\\
>     xAAgfas\smash{\blackrule[height=2ex]}\\
>     xAAgfas\smash{\blackrule[height=3ex, color=red]}\\
>     xAAgfas\smash{\blackrule[height=3.2ex, color=blue]}\\
>
>     \stoptext
>
> Probably best to take this up with the font designer?

Many thanks for your reply, Sietse.

I'll report the proper bug to the font designer.

I cannot compile your code either on my system or on
http://live.contextgarden.net/. I don't know what the error might be,
but I'm not able to compile it.

Thanks for your help,

Pablo
--

@ 2013-06-25 20:43     ` Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2013-06-25 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I cannot compile your code either on my system or on
> http://live.contextgarden.net/. I don't know what the error might be,
> but I'm not able to compile it.

Yeah, that one's all my fault. I copy-pasted my working code to the
e-mail, then decided to add one little change (the extra \blackrule),
and promptly introduced an error. Forgot to close the \smash{ braces.
>_< Correct code below.

Cheers,
Sietse