* Stable versions of MkIV
@ 2012-08-20 16:26 Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2012-08-20 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

The "current stable" MkIV, the MkIV on the wiki, and the MkIV in TeX
Live are quite different things.

MkIV 2011.005.18 -- result of first-setup.sh --current
MkIV 2011.10.008 -- version on the wiki
MkIV 2012.005.29 -- version in TeX Live 2012, AFAICT (Mojca?)

1. Why not declare the version in TeX Live to be stable? I know Mojca
puts some work into making it as bug-free as possible.

2. Perhaps have the MkIV on the wiki track the MkIV in TeXlive? We can
show off reasonably-recent features, it looks more up-to-date, it's a
nice clear answer to "should we update already?", and it ensures that
we update to reasonably bug-free versions.

3. Is there a list of past stable versions somewhere? I can't find
one, and without it the ability to go to a specific stable version
with
`sh ./first-setup.sh --context=date` seems a bit useless. (Can't
really imagine a use in general, though.)

4. (Less important.) context.mkiv defines \contextversion as e.g.
`2012.08.11 14:11`, but \contextversionnumber in mult-ini.mkiv still
prepends a zero to the month or day. (It checks whether 08 < 10, which
is true even if the leading zero is present.) This causes the extra
zeros you saw in the version numbers above. Can this be changed
without breakage ensuing? I expect that nobody depends on it over the
more direct \contextversion. (People that do use \contextversionnumber
have a problem anyway, because the version strings it produces in
October-December will always turn out 'earlier/older' than the ones
produced in January-September, regardless of year.)

Cheers,
Sietse