* Faux font
@ 2013-05-22 14:13 john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2013-05-22 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

In some Context manuals (can't remember which ones) there is a faux font
that just consists of little rectangles of two different sizes. What is
the name of that font? Is it included in e.g. TeXLive?
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press

* Re: Faux font
@ 2013-05-22 15:21 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-05-22 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.05.2013 um 16:13 schrieb john Culleton <John@wexfordpress.com>:

> In some Context manuals (can't remember which ones) there is a faux font
> that just consists of little rectangles of two different sizes. What is
> the name of that font? Is it included in e.g. TeXLive?

Do you mean \fakeword?

\usemodule[visual]

\starttext

\dorecurse{10}{\fakeword\space}

\blank

\dorecurse{10}{\fakewords{2}{8}\par}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Faux font
@ 2013-05-22 17:17   ` Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2013-05-22 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi John,

Wolfgang wrote:
> Do you mean \fakeword?

Link to the This Way that introduces \fakeword and friends:
http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/magazines/mag-0007.pdf
(I am personally rather fond of the \simplethesis command. (This
command produces a lot of output, so it may take a bit longer than you
expect --- just like a real thesis.))

Or perhaps you mean the black boxes in section 5 of the reference
manual's typography chapter [1]? Those are made by replacing every
letter with a black rule of equal height, depths, and width. I dug op
the code [2]; relevant bit is below.

[1] http://context.aanhet.net/svn/contextman/context-reference/en/co-typography.pdf
[2] http://context.aanhet.net/svn/contextman/context-reference/en/co-typography.tex

NB: I also have some recollection of dummy text composed of hollow
rectangles rather than solid black ones, but like you I cannot
remember where I saw that. Maybe the document also showed kerns, in
pretty colors? I can't remember.

Cheers,
Sietse

% Converting every letter into a rectangle.
\def\somecharacter#1%
  {\setbox0=\hbox{#1}%
   \blackrule[width=\wd0,height=\ht0,depth=\dp0]}

\def\someline%
  {\noindent \processtokens\somecharacter\somecharacter\relax\space
     {The height and depth of lines differs.}}

\starttext
\someline
\stoptext

* Re: Faux font
@ 2013-05-22 17:28     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-05-22 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.05.2013 um 19:17 schrieb Sietse Brouwer <sbbrouwer@gmail.com>:

> NB: I also have some recollection of dummy text composed of hollow
> rectangles rather than solid black ones, but like you I cannot
> remember where I saw that. Maybe the document also showed kerns, in
> pretty colors? I can't remember.

One of these examples can be found in the TeXbook on page 65.

IIRC a few presentations regardings math used boxes to show the position
of the various symbols and the needed kerns for sub- and superscripts etc.

Wolfgang

* Re: Faux font
@ 2013-05-23 10:29       ` Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2013-05-23 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)