From: Sietse Brouwer <sbbrouwer@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: man pages for ConTeXt: looking for volunteers
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 15:44:39 +0100	[thread overview]

Mojca wrote:
> Hans just implemented auto-conversion of help into man pages for the
> lua scripts.

> but if
> there are any volunteers to help polishing out and provide either
> more extensive descriptions, examples, ... or overall improvements,

An excellent idea. To cut the work into bite-sized pieces: over the
coming weeks, I will post these files on the list one by one and
solicit specific improvements / check for befuddlement. First, though,
I have some questions:

1. I assume the man pages are created from the XML files, and we
should edit the XML files -- is this correct?

2. Is the XML-to-man script included in the distribution? That would
(a) make it easier to check the result of an edit, and (b) make it
easier to find the answer to question 3 for myself. ;-)

3. Is there a key to specify bold and italic in the XML? (\fB...\fP
and \fI...\fP in the man page.) Or, if you want to keep it semantic:
are <code> (\fB) and <emph> (\fI, or also \fB) supported?

4. I really really like the <subcategory> groupings of the flags in
the XML files. This useful grouping doesn't show up in the man pages,
however. Perhaps the end of a subcategory could correspond to

    .TP
    ----

in the man pages?

5. Lastly, I think it would be good to include a standard SEE ALSO
block at the end of each man page, to list all the scripts we have man
pages for. This will make it easier for users to discover the man
pages. Example below. If such a block could be supported, I would be
happy to write it.

<seealsos>
  <seealso name=mtx-grep>
    <short></short>