* A problem with autopunctuation
@ 2012-11-03  0:45 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2012-11-03  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I get it correctly, the following two formulae should render
differently - and they don't.  What is going on?

\setupmathematics[autopunctuation=yes]

\starttext

$(2,5)$ versus $(2, 5)$

\stoptext

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: A problem with autopunctuation
@ 2012-11-04 21:11 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-11-04 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.11.2012 um 01:45 schrieb Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl>:

> If I get it correctly, the following two formulae should render
> differently - and they don't.  What is going on?
>
> \setupmathematics[autopunctuation=yes]
>
> \starttext
>
> $(2,5)$ versus $(2, 5)$
>
> \stoptext

Spaces in math mode are ignored because the spacing is controlled by different rules.

\starttext

\m{1.2}\par
\m{1. 2}\par
\m{1 .2}\par
\m{1 . 2}\par

\blank

\m{1,2}

\blank

\setupmathematics[autopunctuation=yes]\m{1,2}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: A problem with autopunctuation
@ 2012-11-04 21:38   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-11-04 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 4 Nov 2012, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 03.11.2012 um 01:45 schrieb Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl>:
>
>> If I get it correctly, the following two formulae should render
>> differently - and they don't.  What is going on?
>>
>> \setupmathematics[autopunctuation=yes]
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> $(2,5)$ versus $(2, 5)$
>>
>> \stoptext
>
> Spaces in math mode are ignored because the spacing is controlled by different rules.
>
> \starttext
>
> \m{1.2}\par
> \m{1. 2}\par
> \m{1 .2}\par
> \m{1 . 2}\par
>
> \blank
>
> \m{1,2}
>
> \blank
>
> \setupmathematics[autopunctuation=yes]\m{1,2}
>
> \stoptext

I always thought that autopunctuation was targetted towards the European
tradition of using comma as a decimal separator. That behavior can be
achieved by changing a comma to be an "ord" from a "punctuation".
However, changing the comma to an "ord" has the drawback that you have to
explicitly add spaces when comma is needed as a punctuation, for example
in  sets:

    \m{A = \{a,\, b,\, c\}}

Autopunctuation is supposed to get around this: if comma is followed by a
non-space, the comma should behave like an "ord"; if it is followed by a
space, it should behave like a "punctuation". Clearly that is not
happening.

Aditya

* Re: A problem with autopunctuation
@ 2012-11-04 22:03     ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2012-11-04 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dnia 2012-11-04, o godz. 16:38:53
Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> napisał(a):

> On Sun, 4 Nov 2012, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>

> > Am 03.11.2012 um 01:45 schrieb Marcin Borkowski
> > <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl>:
> >
> >> If I get it correctly, the following two formulae should render
> >> differently - and they don't.  What is going on?
> >>
> >> \setupmathematics[autopunctuation=yes]
> >>
> >> \starttext
> >>
> >> $(2,5)$ versus $(2, 5)$
> >>
> >> \stoptext
> >
> > Spaces in math mode are ignored because the spacing is controlled
> > by different rules.
> >
> > \starttext
> >
> > \m{1.2}\par
> > \m{1. 2}\par
> > \m{1 .2}\par
> > \m{1 . 2}\par
> >
> > \blank
> >
> > \m{1,2}
> >
> > \blank
> >
> > \setupmathematics[autopunctuation=yes]\m{1,2}
> >
> > \stoptext
>
> I always thought that autopunctuation was targetted towards the
> European tradition of using comma as a decimal separator. That
> behavior can be achieved by changing a comma to be an "ord" from a
> "punctuation". However, changing the comma to an "ord" has the
> drawback that you have to explicitly add spaces when comma is needed
> as a punctuation, for example in  sets:
>
>     \m{A = \{a,\, b,\, c\}}
>
> Autopunctuation is supposed to get around this: if comma is followed
> by a non-space, the comma should behave like an "ord"; if it is
> followed by a space, it should behave like a "punctuation". Clearly
> that is not happening.

+1

This was exactly what I was expecting.  (In LaTeX, there's even a
package, called icomma AFAIR, which does more or less this.)  As I
often write mathematical texts in Polish, such a feature would be
*very* useful for me.  I could use \digits or \unit, but this has its
drawbacks, too.

> Aditya

Best,

--

@ 2012-11-30 12:51       ` Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2012-11-30 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reviving this thread, because MkIV's default behaviour is still
improper. The current default of always adding a space after periods
*and* commas is expected by nobody, I think. Revival prompted by a
recent tex.se question:
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/84911/number-kerning-in-context-math-mode-is-different-and-worse-than-normal/84947#84947

I've set out the behaviour below; A --> B means 'A displays as B'.
MkIV should probably follow either MkII, or the behavior Aditya and
Marcin proposed.
(Actually, even if we choose MkII behavior, it would be nice to have
the latter available, too. Maybe as an option autopunctuation=user? It
would require someone to hack respace[math_char] in math-noa.lua,
though.)
Cheers,
Sietse

== This is MkIV's behaviour ==

Spaces are ignored.

\setupmathematics[autopunctuation=no] (the default)
2,5 --> 2, 5
2.5 --> 2. 5

\setupmathematics[autopunctuation=yes]
2,5 --> 2,5
2.5 --> 2.5

Spaces are ignored.

== This is MkII's behaviour ==

Spaces are ignored.

Without \enablemathpunctuation (no \disablemathpunctuation):
% default TeX behaviour
2.5 or 2. 5 --> 2.5
2,5 --> 2, 5

\enablemathpunctuation:
2.5 --> 2.5
2,5 --> 2,5

== This would be really nice ==
See Aditya and Marcin's mails, further up this thread.
http://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context@ntg.nl/msg66306.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context@ntg.nl/msg66307.html

Spaces are significant.

\setupmathematics[autopunctuation=no]
% standard TeX behaviour
2,5 --> 2, 5
2, 5 --> 2, 5
2.5 --> 2.5
2. 5 --> 2.5

\setupmathematics[autopunctuation=yes]
% user controls spacing without needing to type 2,\, 5 all the time
% decimal-mark agnostic
% but especially when the decimal mark is a comma
2,5 --> 2,5
2, 5 --> 2, 5
2.5 --> 2.5
2. 5 --> 2. 5

* Re: A problem with autopunctuation
@ 2012-11-30 12:58         ` Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2012-11-30 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Forgot to add an MWE.

%% Mkiv code

\startTEXpage%
    \setupmathematics[autopunctuation=no]%
    $(2,5)$ versus $(2, 5)$ -- no
    \crlf
    $(2.5)$ versus $(2. 5)$ -- no

    \setupmathematics[autopunctuation=yes]%
    $(2,5)$ versus $(2, 5)$ -- yes
    \crlf
    $(2.5)$ versus $(2. 5)$ -- yes
\stopTEXpage

%% Mkii code

\startTEXpage%
    $(2,5)$ versus $(2, 5)$ -- no
    \crlf
    $(2.5)$ versus $(2. 5)$ -- no

    \enablemathpunctuation
    $(2,5)$ versus $(2, 5)$ -- yes
    \crlf
    $(2.5)$ versus $(2. 5)$ -- yes
\stopTEXpage

* Re: A problem with autopunctuation
@ 2012-12-04 12:58           ` Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2012-12-04 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, all,

Hans has done some work on autopunctuation which made it into
yesterday's beta (2012.12.03 11:33). This includes a 'set it like I
type it' mode people have been asking for.

There are now three options to \setupmathematics[autopunctuation=...]:
* autopunctuation=no — default TeX behaviour. Commas get a thin space,
periods get nothing.
* autopunctuation=yes — manual control for commas. Commas followed by
a space get a thin space; periods, and commas followed by something
else, do not.
* autopunctuation=all — like `yes`; and periods, too, get a thin space
unless suppressed

Example code below, example output attached, and the behaviour is documented at
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/setupmathematics

Cheers,
Sietse

\defineparagraphs[asdf][n=3]

\startTEXpage[offset=2mm]

\startasdf
\setupmathematics[autopunctuation=no]
autopunctuation=no

\starttabulate[||||]
\NC input  \NC desired \NC output  \NC \NR
\NC 2,5  \NC 2, 5 \NC $2,5$  \NC \NR
\NC 2, 5 \NC 2, 5 \NC $2, 5$ \NC \NR
\NC 2.5  \NC 2.5  \NC $2.5$  \NC \NR
\NC 2. 5 \NC 2.5  \NC $2. 5$ \NC \NR
\stoptabulate

\asdf
\setupmathematics[autopunctuation=yes]
autopunctuation=yes

\starttabulate[||||]
\NC input  \NC desired \NC output  \NC \NR
\NC 2,5  \NC 2,5  \NC $2,5$  \NC \NR
\NC 2, 5 \NC 2, 5 \NC $2, 5$ \NC \NR
\NC 2.5  \NC 2.5  \NC $2.5$  \NC \NR
\NC 2. 5 \NC 2.5  \NC $2.5$  \NC \NR
\stoptabulate

\asdf
\setupmathematics[autopunctuation=all]
autopunctuation=all

\starttabulate[||||]
\NC input  \NC desired \NC output  \NC \NR
\NC 2,5  \NC 2,5  \NC $2,5$  \NC \NR
\NC 2, 5 \NC 2, 5 \NC $2, 5$ \NC \NR
\NC 2.5  \NC 2.5  \NC $2.5$  \NC \NR
\NC 2. 5 \NC 2. 5 \NC $2. 5$ \NC \NR
\stoptabulate
\stopasdf

\stopTEXpage

[-- Attachment #2: punctuation-001.pdf --]

* Re: A problem with autopunctuation
@ 2012-11-04 21:00     ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2012-11-04 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dnia 2012-11-04, o godz. 11:04:52
Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> Am 03.11.2012 um 21:15 schrieb Marcin Borkowski
> <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl>:
>
> > Dnia 2012-11-03, o godz. 14:04:30
> > Andres Conrado <elandi@chiquitico.org> napisał(a):
> >
> >> In dont't really know why you think it should render differently.
> >> Everything TeX is supposed to ignore white spaces in math, AFAIK.
> >
> > Yep, but that's no TeX!  Take a look at math-ini.mkiv, lines 873nn.
>
> And what do you think the example will tell us?
>
> \starttext
> \enablemathpunctuation
> $(1,2) (1, 2) (1{,}2) \hbox{foo, not bar}$
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

Well, I *would* expect (1,2) to produce no space after the comma, and
(1, 2) to produce a thin space.  But I may be wrong; in any case, they
seem to do exactly the same, which doesn't make much sense to me.
Also, I wrote about this some time ago on TeX.SE
(http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/52524/autopunctuation-not-working-properly),
and Aditya suggested posting here - which I (finally) did.

Best,

--

@ 2012-11-04 10:04   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-11-04 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2012-11-03 20:15 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2012-11-03 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dnia 2012-11-03, o godz. 14:04:30
Andres Conrado <elandi@chiquitico.org> napisał(a):

> In dont't really know why you think it should render differently.
> Everything TeX is supposed to ignore white spaces in math, AFAIK.

Yep, but that's no TeX!  Take a look at math-ini.mkiv, lines 873nn.

> Best,
>
> Andrés Conrado Montoya
> El Andi